[Ann] JRuby - Ruby interpreter in Java

Jan Arne Petersen

Sep 18, 2001, 7:30:08 PM9/18/01
Hello!

JRuby is the effort to recreate the Ruby interpreter in Java.

The Java version will be tightly integrated with Java to allow both to
script any Java class and to embed the interpreter into any Java
application.

JRuby based on Ruby 1.6.4, but it is written in 100% Java.

The project can be found at: http://jruby.sourceforge.net

You can download an alpha version from SourceForge by following this
link (Warning this is an _alpha_ version!):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=35413&release_id=53448

JRuby supports at the time:
- if / else
- while / until / redo / next / break
- method calls
- object instantiation
- variables
* local
* global
* instance
* class
- constants
- blocks / iterators / for
- method definition (Bugs)
- class definition (Bugs)

- builtin classes (supported methods [1])
* Array (no methods)
* Class (new)
* FalseClass (to_s, type, &, |, ^)
* Fixnum (to_i, to_s, +, -, *, /, **, %, ==, <=>, <, <=, >, >=)
* Float (to_s, +, -, *, /, **, %, ==, <=>, <, <=, >, >=)
* Integer (all methods)
* Module (no methods)
* NilClass (type, to_a, to_s, to_i, &, |, ^, nil?)
* Numeric (all methods)
* Object (type)
* Range (each, initialize)
* String (new, initialize, [], reverse, slice)
* TrueClass (to_s, type, &, |, ^)
- builtin modules (supported methods [1])
* Comparator (all methods)
* Kernel (print, puts)

[1] Methods which are "defined" and can be used in a Ruby script. There
are some more methods implemented.

Jan Arne Petersen

Kevin Smith

Sep 18, 2001, 10:58:19 PM9/18/01
--- Jan Arne Petersen <japet...@web.de> wrote:
> JRuby is the effort to recreate the Ruby interpreter in
Java.

Excellent. Someday perhaps I would port it to C++.

> JRuby supports at the time:

> - builtin classes (supported methods [1])
> * Array (no methods)

..

Are you implementing as much in Ruby as possible? It would
be great if you could, 1) because it would probably go
faster and be easier to maintain, and 2) because other Ruby
ports could reuse those parts.

Kevin

chad fowler

Sep 18, 2001, 11:24:13 PM9/18/01

--- Kevin Smith <kevin...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Jan Arne Petersen <japet...@web.de> wrote:
> > JRuby is the effort to recreate the Ruby
> interpreter in
> Java.
>
> Excellent. Someday perhaps I would port it to C++.
>
> > JRuby supports at the time:
> > - builtin classes (supported methods [1])
> > * Array (no methods)

> Are you implementing as much in Ruby as possible? It
> would
> be great if you could, 1) because it would probably
> go
> faster and be easier to maintain, and 2) because
> other Ruby
> ports could reuse those parts.
>
> Kevin

Great stuff! I've been looking through the code. I
hope to contribute some of the unfinished material.
To Kevin's point, be sure to check out Matju's
MetaRuby.

Are you coming to RubyConf2001?

Chad

Domingo Alvarez Duarte

Sep 19, 2001, 5:45:45 AM9/19/01
That's great and if it's ported to c++ we will have a fuly reentrant
ruby interpreter wich will permit an application having more than one
interpreter with diferent contexts.

Jan Arne Petersen

Sep 19, 2001, 9:54:04 AM9/19/01
chad fowler wrote:

>>> JRuby is the effort to recreate the Ruby
>>> interpreter in Java.
>>
>>Excellent. Someday perhaps I would port it to C++.
>>

>>Are you implementing as much in Ruby as possible? It
>>would
>>be great if you could, 1) because it would probably
>>go
>>faster and be easier to maintain, and 2) because
>>other Ruby
>>ports could reuse those parts.
>>

> Great stuff! I've been looking through the code. I
> hope to contribute some of the unfinished material.

That would be very helpful.

> To Kevin's point, be sure to check out Matju's
> MetaRuby.

I will look at it.

> Are you coming to RubyConf2001?

No. I'm a german student and I don't have enough money.

Jan Arne

Jan Arne Petersen

Sep 19, 2001, 9:52:50 AM9/19/01

Also the design of JRuby (no static fields) make it possible to run more
than one interpreter in a Java application.
Jan Arne Petersen

Benoit Cerrina

Sep 22, 2001, 12:51:44 PM9/22/01
Sorry but how would this naturally come from having a c++ port.

None of this quality are anymore intrinsec to c++ than to C.
Benoit
"Domingo Alvarez Duarte" <dom...@dad-it.com> wrote in message