Does ruby have a similar functions to the Python dir and help functions?

py

Mar 23, 2007, 9:47:58 AM3/23/07
In python during runtime, or in the python shell you can type:

dir()

or

dir(<some_object>)

and get a list of variables, methods etc that exist for that object.

Also there is help(<some_object>), or help(<some_object.aMethod>).

does ruby have similar functions. I know that you can use ri....but
is there a function to call while in the ruby shell?

thanks

Austin Ziegler

Mar 23, 2007, 9:54:00 AM3/23/07
Ruby can tell you the methods: obj.methods (there's also
#public_methods, #instance_methods, #private_methods, etc.). Ruby can
tell you the instance variables (#instance_variables).

Ruby can't tell you the documentation; there's no docstring like there
is in Python. There are some enhancements to irb available that give
an ri command from within irb.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halos...@gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
* aus...@halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

Jeremy McAnally

Mar 23, 2007, 10:26:11 AM3/23/07
def dir(object)
object.methods.sort
end

That should give you the same effect; as for the help method, ri is
your only option AFAIK.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

Olivier Renaud

Mar 23, 2007, 12:40:33 PM3/23/07
Le vendredi 23 mars 2007 14:54, Austin Ziegler a écrit :
> Ruby can tell you the methods: obj.methods (there's also
> #public_methods, #instance_methods, #private_methods, etc.). Ruby can
> tell you the instance variables (#instance_variables).
>
> Ruby can't tell you the documentation; there's no docstring like there
> is in Python. There are some enhancements to irb available that give
> an ri command from within irb.
>
> -austin

Actually, irb can give you documentation. For example :

irb(main):001:0> help Array

It works like ri.

--
Olivier Renaud

Jonas Pfenniger

Mar 23, 2007, 12:52:05 PM3/23/07
There is also the IHelp project : http://fhtr.org/projects/ihelp/

--
Cheers,
zimbatm

Daniel DeLorme

Mar 24, 2007, 4:54:24 AM3/24/07
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Ruby can tell you the methods: obj.methods (there's also
> #public_methods, #instance_methods, #private_methods, etc.). Ruby can
> tell you the instance variables (#instance_variables).

you can also use local_variables to get a list of... local variables!

Daniel