Postgres-ing? Too many choices!

Dave Howell

Jan 12, 2006, 12:12:05 PM1/12/06
it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
PostgreSQL database.

postgres (0.7.1)
postgres-pr (0.4.0)
ruby-postgres (0.7.1)

What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?

Thanks.

Dave Lee

Jan 12, 2006, 12:18:57 PM1/12/06

postgres and ruby-postgres are the same project. all the gems for
ruby-postgres are post 0.7.1 snapshots. I've been saying this for a
while, but I intend to release a 0.8.0 release real soon now. I will
probably release the most recent snapshot of the ruby-postgres gem as
the 0.8.0 release, so it should be pretty functional. it contains
many fixes and improvements over the postgres-0.7.1 gem. postgres-pr
is a pure ruby extension, it doesn't rely on PostgreSQL's libpq client
library. AFAIK, it's not as functional as the native extensions.

Dave

Gregory Seidman

Jan 12, 2006, 12:50:38 PM1/12/06

So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now I'm
sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the postgres/ruby-postgres
gem? How do I make sure I'm using the right one?

} Dave
--Greg

Robby Russell

Jan 12, 2006, 1:22:27 PM1/12/06
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 02:50 +0900, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now
> I'm
> sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the
> postgres/ruby-postgres
> gem? How do I make sure I'm using the right one?

gem install postgres
gem uninstall postgres-pr

:-)

-Robby

--
* Robby Russell, Founder & Executive Director *