[ANN] Ruby 1.9.0 is released

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Dec 25, 2007, 10:04:13 AM12/25/07

We are happy to announce of the release of the 1.9.0 the development
release. You can fetch it from:

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.0-0.tar.bz2
407cc7d0032e19eb12216c0ebc7f17b3

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.0-0.tar.gz
b20cce98b284f7f75939c09d5c8e846d

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.0-0.zip
78b2a5f9a81c5f6775002c4fb24d2d75

We hope this helps you to enjoy hacking. Happy Holidays.

matz.

Ilias bankai

Dec 25, 2007, 10:08:14 AM12/25/07

Thanks Matz!!

Trans

Dec 25, 2007, 10:09:31 AM12/25/07

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow...

T.

ishii kazuo

Dec 25, 2007, 10:16:01 AM12/25/07

Congratulations! Matz.
Thank you for your good jobs.
And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Kazuo Ishii aka. Pierre I. Katz

2007/12/26, Yukihiro Matsumoto <ma...@ruby-lang.org>:

--
石井一夫
日本Rubyの会

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Dec 25, 2007, 10:21:44 AM12/25/07

For your information, here's the test result from the released Ruby
1.9.0:

sample/test.rb
858 tests 0 failed

bootstraptest/
821 tests 0 failed

test/ruby/test_*.rb
849 tests 1935064 assertions 1 failures 0 errors

test-all
3263 tests 2275950 assertions 8 failures 6 errors

We couldn't make it error free, but it's fairly good, we hope.

matz.

In message "Re: [ANN] Ruby 1.9.0 is released"

Rk Ch

Dec 25, 2007, 10:52:21 AM12/25/07
Great christmas gift! Thanks for guys hard worked.

thefed

Dec 25, 2007, 10:59:48 AM12/25/07

On Dec 25, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For your information, here's the test result from the released Ruby
> 1.9.0:
>
> sample/test.rb
> 858 tests 0 failed
>
> bootstraptest/
> 821 tests 0 failed
>
> test/ruby/test_*.rb
> 849 tests 1935064 assertions 1 failures 0 errors
>
> test-all
> 3263 tests 2275950 assertions 8 failures 6 errors
>
> We couldn't make it error free, but it's fairly good, we hope.
>

> matz.

This alone makes today worth it :-)

Waleed Harbi

Dec 25, 2007, 11:30:35 AM12/25/07
Thanks :)

Yours,
Waleed Harbi
Nothing without reason everything for something.

Flower Born

Dec 25, 2007, 11:35:55 AM12/25/07
Thanks matz.

Chiyuan Zhang

Dec 25, 2007, 11:40:39 AM12/25/07
Thanks! and Merry Christmas!

Brad Tilley

Dec 25, 2007, 11:55:29 AM12/25/07
Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

..
> ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.0-0.zip
> 78b2a5f9a81c5f6775002c4fb24d2d75
..

Thanks for the new release! Ruby is a wonderful language.

The zip file above, with a link on the front page of
http://www.ruby-lang.org, is actually linked to the tar.gz file. Just
wanted to let you guys know.

Thanks again,
Brad

Brad Tilley

Dec 25, 2007, 12:05:36 PM12/25/07
Brad Tilley wrote:
> Thanks for the new release! Ruby is a wonderful language.
>
> The zip file above, with a link on the front page of
> http://www.ruby-lang.org, is actually linked to the tar.gz file. Just
> wanted to let you guys know.

Also, the 1.9.0 Windows binary is here:
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/ruby-1.9.0-0-i386-mswin32.zip

Not here:
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.9.0-20070709-i386-mswin32.zip

This is mis-linked here:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

Vasyl Smirnov

Dec 25, 2007, 12:44:15 PM12/25/07

Thanks for your devoted work! Ruby is a wonderful language!

Fabio Akita

Dec 25, 2007, 12:45:18 PM12/25/07
Excelent. Great job! Thanks to all the Ruby Core Team, we are really
excited here in Brazil as well!

James Herdman

Dec 25, 2007, 1:07:48 PM12/25/07
Thank you to Matz and the many Ruby contributors! Your efforts are
very much appreciated. Thank you so very much for help to make
programming something I love to do.

James

Carl Lerche

Dec 25, 2007, 1:21:11 PM12/25/07

This is great news. Thanks all for your effort and work!

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner

Dec 25, 2007, 1:31:28 PM12/25/07
Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> We are happy to announce of the release of the 1.9.0 the development
> release.

Thanks for all the amount of work you invested for this gift today!

Merry Christmas!

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner

Ken Bloom

Dec 25, 2007, 2:38:06 PM12/25/07

Is this a stable release? Is it intended for production development
like 1.8 was?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/

Michael Guterl

Dec 25, 2007, 2:43:21 PM12/25/07

Thanks Matz! Happy Holidays to everyone!

Michael Guterl

Ryan Davis

Dec 25, 2007, 3:25:17 PM12/25/07

On Dec 25, 2007, at 11:40 , Ken Bloom wrote:

>> We are happy to announce of the release of the 1.9.0 the development

>> release. You can fetch it from: [...]

> Is this a stable release? Is it intended for production development
> like 1.8 was?

"the development release"

As stated at rubyconf and elsewhere, this is a development release. It
is not as solid as 1.8 currently is.

It is probably not a good idea to roll out a "dot zero" of _anything_
into production (eg, I'll NEVER roll out a dot zero (or for that
matter, a dot one) of rails to my production envs).

Yossef Mendelssohn

Dec 25, 2007, 4:18:43 PM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 3:25 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
> It is probably not a good idea to roll out a "dot zero" of _anything_
> into production (eg, I'll NEVER roll out a dot zero (or for that
> matter, a dot one) of rails to my production envs).

Thankfully, you don't have long to wait after a dot zero Rails release
to get something else.

--
-yossef

Dejan Dimic

Dec 25, 2007, 5:09:27 PM12/25/07

Thanks Matz!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Great christmas gift.

Magicloud Wang

Dec 25, 2007, 7:51:08 PM12/25/07
Dear,
May I know where I could get a major changelog?

Thanks.

Patrick Aljord

Dec 25, 2007, 8:43:04 PM12/25/07

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Dec 25, 2007, 8:44:59 PM12/25/07

In message "Re: Ruby 1.9.0 is released"

on Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:52:21 +0900, Rk Ch <rollin...@gmail.com> writes:

|Great christmas gift! Thanks for guys hard worked.

We worked hard. But it's just a beginning. We still need to do a lot
of work on 1.9:

* preparing more detailed document of 1.9 changes than the current
doc/NEWS.

* some gems for obsolete and lost libraries, e.g. base64.

* migration path (and tools) from 1.8.

* document, document, document.

But let us rest for a while. We welcome volunteers.
Join <ruby...@ruby-lang.org> list.

matz.

Mikel Lindsaar

Dec 25, 2007, 9:07:58 PM12/25/07
On Dec 26, 2007 12:44 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <ma...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> But let us rest for a while.

You have earned it Matz! Thank you so very much for your fun language!

> We welcome volunteers.
> Join <ruby...@ruby-lang.org> list.

Good idea! I will.

Regards

Mikel

Bernardo Monteiro Rufino

Dec 25, 2007, 10:11:29 PM12/25/07

Thanks Matz! From Brazil, like Akita said...

--
Bernardo Rufino

Jeremy McAnally

Dec 25, 2007, 11:08:21 PM12/25/07
Could you point out some areas that are in dire need of documentation?
I've been wanting to get involved with Ruby core documentation but
haven't had a discrete task list to concentrate on.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com/mcanally/

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

Shawn Anderson

Dec 25, 2007, 11:40:30 PM12/25/07

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

/Shawn

César

Dec 25, 2007, 11:47:56 PM12/25/07
Thanks Matz from Argentina, I know happy friends with Ruby. ;-)

http://rubyargentina.soveran.com/
http://www.sindominio.net/ayuda/preguntas-inteligentes.html
http://cronopios.net/Traducciones/trolls.es.html

Mi blog:
http://cesarediaz.blogspot.com

:-{þ

Nei Kai

Dec 25, 2007, 11:50:15 PM12/25/07

hi, I'm a little confused. If it is released now, what is the one on
Synaptic list in Ubuntu 7.10?
Package: ruby1.9
Version: 1.9.0+20070830-2ubuntu1

Could anyone give an explanation?
Thank you.

ning

Arun Agrawal

Dec 25, 2007, 11:50:54 PM12/25/07

Cool Ruby new version :)

--
Arun Agrawal

Sent from BlackBerry(R) on Hutch

Jeet

Dec 26, 2007, 2:51:59 AM12/26/07
Hi All

Three Cheers for Matz and Ruby team :)

-Ajay

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 00:04 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,

> We are happy to announce of the release of the 1.9.0 the development
> release. You can fetch it from:

Dejan Dimic

Dec 26, 2007, 2:59:01 AM12/26/07
On Dec 26, 2:44 am, Yukihiro Matsumoto <m...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby 1.9.0 is released"
> on Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:52:21 +0900, Rk Ch <rollingwo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |Great christmas gift! Thanks for guys hard worked.
>
> We worked hard. But it's just a beginning. We still need to do a lot
> of work on 1.9:
>
> * preparing more detaileCount me ind document of 1.9 changes than the current

> doc/NEWS.
>
> * some gems for obsolete and lost libraries, e.g. base64.
>
> * migration path (and tools) from 1.8.
>
> * document, document, document.
>
> But let us rest for a while. We welcome volunteers.
> Join <ruby-c...@ruby-lang.org> list.
>
> matz.

Count me in :-)

Brian Takita

Dec 26, 2007, 3:11:04 AM12/26/07
On Dec 25, 2007 8:57 PM, Konrad Meyer <kon...@tylerc.org> wrote:
> Quoth Nei Kai:

> > hi, I'm a little confused. If it is released now, what is the one on
> > Synaptic list in Ubuntu 7.10?
> > Package: ruby1.9
> > Version: 1.9.0+20070830-2ubuntu1
> >
> > Could anyone give an explanation?
+1

Congratulations Matz. Thank you for the latest release.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > ning
>
> That's a copy from svn before release of 1.9.0 on August 30, 2007. The release
> was on December 25, 2007, so you're missing 4 months of development.
> Hopefully the ubuntu maintainers will take some time and update their package
> soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Konrad Meyer <kon...@tylerc.org> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

Murat Arif ÇELİKER

Dec 26, 2007, 4:39:15 AM12/26/07
Thanks Matz. This is a good news.

Regards,
Murat

Murat Ârif ÇELİKER < http://www.ikinoktayazilim.com/wordpress >
Bursa, Türkiye

Sander Land

Dec 26, 2007, 5:59:55 AM12/26/07
Thanks Matz.

Great new options, and it's just so much faster. :)

Eustáquio 'TaQ' Rangel

Dec 26, 2007, 6:17:55 AM12/26/07

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Dec 26, 2007, 8:45:34 AM12/26/07

on Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:08:21 +0900, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremym...@gmail.com> writes:

|Could you point out some areas that are in dire need of documentation?
| I've been wanting to get involved with Ruby core documentation but
|haven't had a discrete task list to concentrate on.

How about updating doc/NEWS file, and sending patches to
<ruby...@ruby-lang.org> list? Or we can set up Wiki pages for
cooperate documentation writing.

matz.

Philo Cai

Dec 26, 2007, 9:31:58 AM12/26/07
It's greet if can use Wiki pages.

--Philo

--
Your True Friend.
Philo Cai

Joe

Dec 26, 2007, 10:49:15 AM12/26/07
I don't think ubuntu updates to new versions of software after the
initial release unless it's a bugfix release. I think Nei Kai would
have to compile Ruby 1.9.0 to get it.

On Dec 25, 2007 11:57 PM, Konrad Meyer <kon...@tylerc.org> wrote:
> Quoth Nei Kai:

> > hi, I'm a little confused. If it is released now, what is the one on
> > Synaptic list in Ubuntu 7.10?
> > Package: ruby1.9
> > Version: 1.9.0+20070830-2ubuntu1
> >
> > Could anyone give an explanation?
> > Thank you.
> >
> > ning

Charles Oliver Nutter

Dec 26, 2007, 12:52:17 PM12/26/07

What about spec.ruby-doc.org? It's already got a lot of documentation
for various aspects of 1.8, and I'd be ecstatic if it could be used as a
cooperative place to document Ruby 1.9 as well.

- Charlie

Wayne E. Seguin

Dec 26, 2007, 2:29:57 PM12/26/07

Matz,

Thank you. You and your team have made my life much better :)

~Wayne

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Dec 26, 2007, 6:49:05 PM12/26/07

on Thu, 27 Dec 2007 02:52:17 +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles...@sun.com> writes:

|> How about updating doc/NEWS file, and sending patches to
|> <ruby...@ruby-lang.org> list? Or we can set up Wiki pages for
|> cooperate documentation writing.
|
|What about spec.ruby-doc.org? It's already got a lot of documentation
|for various aspects of 1.8, and I'd be ecstatic if it could be used as a
|cooperative place to document Ruby 1.9 as well.

It's a great place if they accept 1.9 changes in spec.

matz.

Jeremy McAnally

Dec 27, 2007, 12:05:24 AM12/27/07
That would be fantastic. Perhaps we could branch the 1.8 spec and 1.9
spec so the work can continue on both?

--Jeremy

botp

Dec 27, 2007, 2:41:11 AM12/27/07

note, there is also noobkit.com. It's being actively nurtured by AlexG
(I know since i've been tracking/using it..). An example is
http://www.noobkit.com/show/ruby/ruby/ruby-core.html. Friendly
interface, full search, and w active links/reference.. My point is, if
people can find things easily, then it would be easy to document..

kind regards -botp

Brad Tilley

Dec 27, 2007, 8:47:22 AM12/27/07

On this page:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

The 1.9.0 Windows Binary download link is broken. The Christmas Day 2007
Windows binaries appear to be here:
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/

I just wanted to let you guys know about this. 1.9.0 has been very fun
to experiment with so far. Thanks again for the great work!

Brad

Charles Oliver Nutter

Dec 27, 2007, 10:29:48 AM12/27/07
Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> That would be fantastic. Perhaps we could branch the 1.8 spec and 1.9
> spec so the work can continue on both?

We could easily provide a 1.8 and 1.9 entry point, and they could
cross-link whereever necessary. It would simply be a matter of adding
some links to the front-page as it exists now and possibly splitting
some existing articles into 1.8 and 1.9-compatible versions.

I can make this change any time (and of course, so can all of
you)...shall I?

I control the wiki's hosting at the moment, so I could also set it up
for multiple languages, if it would make it easier to get documentation
up to have separate Japanese/English pages.

- Charlie

Jeremy McAnally

Dec 27, 2007, 10:54:38 PM12/27/07
That would be great, Charles. I'm looking over what's there now and
hopefully I can start contributing after the holidays.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Joshua Schairbaum

Dec 28, 2007, 8:01:51 AM12/28/07
Jeremy,

I'd like to get involved with this as well. Let me know when you're
going to start working on it.

Josh

James Gray

Dec 28, 2007, 10:43:17 AM12/28/07
On Dec 27, 2007, at 7:47 AM, Brad Tilley wrote:

> On this page:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/
>
> The 1.9.0 Windows Binary download link is broken. The Christmas Day
> 2007
> Windows binaries appear to be here:
> ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/
>
> I just wanted to let you guys know about this. 1.9.0 has been very fun
> to experiment with so far. Thanks again for the great work!

Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.

James Edward Gray II