Rubuntu LiveCD I need vim/emacs configs!

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Feb 16, 2006, 4:12:20 PM2/16/06
Friends-

I am working on a linux distro liveCD called Rubuntu. Which is, you
guessed it, a ruby/raisl centric ubuntu livecd that has the option to
install to your HD if your so inclined. I hope to have my build
system for this set up this weekend so i can start pumping out a few
betas while I tweak it to perfection.

I need some help from the community.

What I really need some help with is killer ruby configs for vim,
emacs and jedit. And anything else you would like to see included,
please drop me a note and any pointers you have for configuration
that would be best suited for this.

I already have all the basics included as far as ruby/gems and a
bunch of database bindings and ruby configured mongrel, apache and
lighty. And I already have plenty of usefull ruby libs installed.
What I really need is the icing on the cake. I want thsi to come
setup with all the trimmings. So all you folks with killer vimrc's
and emacs ruby configs please contact me.

Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.

Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

Thanks-
-Ezra

Barry Dmytro

Feb 16, 2006, 4:38:09 PM2/16/06
* Ezra Zygmuntowicz (ezmo...@gmail.com) wrote:
> Friends-

> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

I'm sorry I can't offer my ruby vimrc file. I lost it some time ago and
instead of rewritting it I switched to scite. :(

Although you've mostly likely considered it already a nice suite of ruby aware
editors besides emacs, vim, and jedit would be nice. I am suggesting including
gedit, scite, freeride, and kate (if you are going to include some kde
libraries). I would also recommend some pure ruby editors such as diakonos.

One other must in my eyes would be to include every ruby app and game that you
can find that is runnable. Also of interest would be to include the ruSH (a
ruby shell) and possibly some ruby extensions to the shell.

You've most likely been here already, but in case you haven't I recommend
looking at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby/

Kind Regards,
Barry Dmytro
badc...@mailc.net
http://badcherry.org/

Phil Hagelberg

Feb 16, 2006, 6:19:57 PM2/16/06
On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 06:12 +0900, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

Awesome idea.

Make sure it has an .irbrc with require 'irb/completion' in it. Make
sure it includes Ruby-GNOME2. Ruby-Gecko[1] as the default browser would
be a nice touch, if not the most effective choice. =D

Also, ruby-electric[2] is a nice emacs mode. chris2 has some nifty ruby
stuff[3] that requires emacs22 if you are thinking of going that route.

I would advise against using MMM-mode for ERB by default since it seems
to usually be more trouble than it's worth. CSS-mode is worth including.

You can see my .emacs[4], but it's nothing special.

-Phil Hagelberg

1 - http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyGecko
2 - http://shylock.uw.hu/Emacs/ruby-electric.el
3 -
http://chneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2004/09/ete-errors-to-emacs.html
4 - http://dev.technomancy.us/phil/browser/dotfiles

Eero Saynatkari

Feb 16, 2006, 6:32:18 PM2/16/06
Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 06:12 +0900, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point
>
> Awesome idea.
>
> Make sure it has an .irbrc with require 'irb/completion' in it.

Also, sticking this in ~/.irbrc helps:

# Works both with constants and strings (ri Hash vs ri 'Hash')
def ri(obj)
puts `ri #{obj}`
end

> Make
> sure it includes Ruby-GNOME2. Ruby-Gecko[1] as the default browser would
> be a nice touch, if not the most effective choice. =D
>
> Also, ruby-electric[2] is a nice emacs mode. chris2 has some nifty ruby
> stuff[3] that requires emacs22 if you are thinking of going that route.
>
> I would advise against using MMM-mode for ERB by default since it seems
> to usually be more trouble than it's worth. CSS-mode is worth including.
>
> You can see my .emacs[4], but it's nothing special.
>
> -Phil Hagelberg
>
> 1 - http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyGecko
> 2 - http://shylock.uw.hu/Emacs/ruby-electric.el
> 3 -
> http://chneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2004/09/ete-errors-to-emacs.html
> 4 - http://dev.technomancy.us/phil/browser/dotfiles

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Feb 16, 2006, 6:49:43 PM2/16/06

Cool, I have a killer .irbrc already with some really nice stuff in
it. I have made an entry on my blog and I would like to collect the
information from everyone there in the comments if possible please:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2006/02/16/rubuntu-is-almost-born

There's even a cool new logo for it there ;-)

Cheers-
-Ezra

Jon Baer

Feb 21, 2006, 10:35:25 AM2/21/06
Ive switched from emacs to the new RadRails IDE as it is pretty slick
although Im not sure if included a Java JVM will bloat your distro any
or *if* you are even allowed to include a VM (I think you are) ...

http://www.radrails.org

Will the distro have mysql/postgres/kirbybase installed?

- Jon

Martin Ellis

Feb 21, 2006, 2:36:42 PM2/21/06
to Ezra Zygmuntowicz
<posted & mailed>

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

Well, if we're brainstorming...

The KDevelop packages come with modes and templates and example apps
for developing (KDE, or other) apps in Ruby, presumably largely
courtesy of Richard Dale.

KOffice 1.5 will also include some (rather experimental) support for
scripting Krita (images) and Kexi (databases) in Ruby. Only the beta
is out so far, but you can get the Debian and Kubuntu packages.

Martin

Pistos

Feb 22, 2006, 1:13:29 AM2/22/06
Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
> on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.
>
> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

Well, I was about to toot my own horn, but it looks as though someone
already mentioned it: I would be quite appreciative if you included
Diakonos. :)

Pistos

Pistos

Feb 22, 2006, 1:14:32 AM2/22/06
Pistos wrote:
> Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>> Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
>> on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point
>
> Well, I was about to toot my own horn, but it looks as though someone
> already mentioned it: I would be quite appreciative if you included
> Diakonos. :)
>
> Pistos

Sorry for the double post, but, for reference:
http://purepistos.net/diakonos .

Gregory Brown

Feb 22, 2006, 1:48:35 AM2/22/06
On 2/21/06, David Vallner <da...@vallner.net> wrote:
> Dňa Utorok 21 Február 2006 16:38 Jon Baer napísal:

> > Ive switched from emacs to the new RadRails IDE as it is pretty slick
> > although Im not sure if included a Java JVM will bloat your distro any
> > or *if* you are even allowed to include a VM (I think you are) ...
> >

> sun-j2re from an unofficial Debian repository, 30 MB compressed, 90 MB
> uncompressed. It doth hurt a bit, but I'd put it in for the heck of it if
> possible. I think Eclipse itself amounts to more, and even Postgres eats 20
> megs in full.
>
> The problem is, the Sun Java is classified as non-free, so I don't think you
> can bundle that in an "official" Debian-based distribution - don't know if
> Ubuntu loosened their licencing restrictions on the issue.

why not just use ubuntu's free-java-sdk which wraps around the GNU
tools and acts as a replacement for sun's SDK.

it's in universe on breezy

Gary Watson

Feb 22, 2006, 12:03:10 PM2/22/06
The only must have change I always make is to include some commands at
the bottom of the ruby.vim script in the indent directory that sets
tabstop softtabstop and shiftwidth to 2 and turns on expandtab. This is
nice because it only affects the .rb files, other files have the tab
settings set to 4 which is usually what I use for non ruby stuff. I'm
sortof surprised that these changes aren't in that file by default.

Good luck on this project. It sounds very cool.
Gary

Joe

Mar 1, 2006, 1:13:40 PM3/1/06
Just a thought - what about creating a VMware player appliance with all
the tools installed? I have an Ubuntu image with Rails/LightTPD/MySQL,
and it works really well for use as a pre-production/stage environment.
It acts like a separate physical machine, so you can even install SSH
server and try out Switchtower for deployment. Plus, you don't have to
install all these services in your host OS, which can really slow it
down. Of course, this won't work for Mac users. But who knows what
VMware will do.
Joe

Brandon Hines

Mar 25, 2006, 12:36:16 AM3/25/06
This topic has been dead for a few days...how's the project coming?

ezmobius mob

Mar 25, 2006, 4:24:58 PM3/25/06
On 3/24/06, Brandon Hines <brando...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This topic has been dead for a few days...how's the project coming?

It's actaully progressing quite well. The holdup is because I am in the
process of moving to another city for a new job(ruby job of course ;) and my
linux boxes are packed up until April 10th :/ But There will be a release in
April for sure. I have also ditched ubuntu as a livecd base to work off of.
Morphix allows for a much nicer automated build process and is itself
designed to build custom debian livecd's with and these livecd's can be
installed to HD and augmented with a flash drive. So you can install extra
packages and whatever else you want and it will be able to back these
changes up to your thumb drive so you ca re-graft your changes back onto the
livecd when you reboot it or take it to another computer.

There have been many great requests and I got a ton f good config files for
various programs so this will be a fun cd. I will be sharing the entire
build script and tutorial so folks can build their own versions if they
want.

So I guess i need a new name ;) Any suggestions?

Cheers-
Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ezmo...@gmail.com
"Rubyists don't throw rocks at dogs"

Gregory Brown

Mar 25, 2006, 5:11:24 PM3/25/06
On 3/25/06, ezmobius mob <ezmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Rubyists don't throw rocks at dogs"

Hehe. My quote! ;)

Mathieu Blondel

Mar 25, 2006, 7:27:58 PM3/25/06

I would suggest "Ruby Live".

Also, if you have enough space, I think you should not only target
developers but also people who haven't yet switched to Ruby. For that
purpose, you would need to install cool apps that demonstrate the power
of Ruby. For example, you could install Typo for Rails, Alexandria for
Ruby-GNOME2, games in Ruby/SDL etc.

Maybe you could also start a project on Rubyforge.

Mathieu

Brandon Hines

Mar 26, 2006, 2:13:19 PM3/26/06
Good to hear that the project is alive and kicking!

Name Suggestions:
"Mobile Ruby" (though that sounds like a phone app)
"RIMP" (Ruby in my Pocket) (too bad is sounds like "GIMP")
"*Ruby" (instead of *nix)

"Ruby Live" as suggested by another poster also sounds pretty good,
though, in my opinion, "Live" sounds a bit generic since it's a common
distro title. As you can see though, I'm not comming up with anything
better. ;)

As for a logo, the normal tux colored ruby red sitting on
traintracks/rails would look pretty damn sweet.

-Brandon

Gregory Brown

Mar 26, 2006, 4:43:59 PM3/26/06

Rubix

Alex G

Mar 26, 2006, 5:23:09 PM3/26/06
I was just about to say that the most obvious name for a Ruby-centric
Linux Distro has to be Rubix, then I got to the bottom of the thread.
Unfortunately, Google revealed that it already exists:
http://www.rubixlinux.org/
This doesn't really speak to me, but how about "RubyReady?"

Brandon Hines

Mar 27, 2006, 3:46:53 AM3/27/06
"RubyReady" rolls right of the tounge. Slick. ;0

Kris Leech

Mar 29, 2006, 8:17:53 AM3/29/06
Is Rubuntu ready yet?

Like RubyReady!

jed....@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2006, 12:10:03 PM3/29/06
Have you considered adding SVN and Mongrel to the Distro?

Gregory Brown

Mar 29, 2006, 1:01:16 PM3/29/06
On 3/29/06, jed....@gmail.com <jed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you considered adding SVN and Mongrel to the Distro?

I'd like to see this, too.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Mar 31, 2006, 1:10:16 AM3/31/06

On Mar 29, 2006, at 9:13 AM, jed....@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you considered adding SVN and Mongrel to the Distro?

Yes these will be included for sure along with some nice
lighttpd.conf files to load balance between mongrels. I won't have my
build system until the 13th of April(i just moved and it is on the
truck until then) After I get my equipment in order I will be making
the initial release. So sometime before the end of the month this
will be out. Sorry for the delay but I took a new job and had to move
accross the state ;)

Cheers-

-Ezra

jed....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2006, 2:08:57 PM4/19/06
Do you have a blog or site that I can use to follow the release cycle
for this project? Have you thought about starting a project on
RubyForge for it?