OFFTOPIC: How to pronounce Ruby?

Peter Szinek

Jan 19, 2007, 6:13:04 AM1/19/07
Is it more similar to 'dummy' or 'dubi(ous)'? (or neither :-)

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com

Stephen Duncan

Jan 19, 2007, 6:17:11 AM1/19/07
It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).

-Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

Jan 19, 2007, 6:22:39 AM1/19/07
+
I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh

--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

dbl...@wobblini.net

Jan 19, 2007, 6:29:40 AM1/19/07
Hi --

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Arie Kusuma Atmaja wrote:

> +
> I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
> I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
> themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh

Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

David

> On 1/19/07, Stephen Duncan <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).
>>
>> -Stephen
>>
>> On 1/19/07, Peter Szinek <pe...@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
>> > Is it more similar to 'dummy' or 'dubi(ous)'? (or neither :-)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter
>> >
>> > __
>> > http://www.rubyrailways.com
>> >

>> --
>> Stephen Duncan Jr
>> www.stephenduncanjr.com
>>

> --
> Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
> http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

Florian Frank

Jan 19, 2007, 4:31:11 PM1/19/07
dbl...@wobblini.net wrote:
>> I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
>> I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
>> themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh
>
> Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.

--
Florian Frank

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

Jan 22, 2007, 4:06:07 AM1/22/07
On 1/20/07, Florian Frank <fl...@nixe.ping.de> wrote:
> dbl...@wobblini.net wrote:
> >> I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
> >> I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
> >> themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh
> >
> > Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

Thanks David.

> I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
> I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.
>
> --
> Florian Frank

According to http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby
Ruby was written in Romaji then Katakana, it's being read: rubii
or perhaps (sorry i'm not an english native speaker) in English
pronounciation might be: roo bee
AFAIK Japanese is so proud of Japan, that's why I wonder why Matz
didn't name Ruby in Kanji Letters first, and then provided its
translation in Katakana (ルビー) and Romaji (Ruby)

Pete Yandell

Jan 27, 2007, 5:04:05 AM1/27/07

On 19/01/2007, at 10:17 PM, Stephen Duncan wrote:

> It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).

Dubious is only pronounced doobious if you're American. :)

Pete Yandell
http://notahat.com/

Peter Szinek

Jan 27, 2007, 6:03:15 AM1/27/07
Pete Yandell wrote:

> On 19/01/2007, at 10:17 PM, Stephen Duncan wrote:
>
>> It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).
>
> Dubious is only pronounced doobious if you're American. :)

Well, I am Hungarian :-) (btw in Hungarian, Ruby is pronounced as in
Japanese). I guess I am mostly speaking American English, but I don't
think so this is the main cause 'dubious' came to my mind when looking
for a suitable example - the reason was that I never heard it pronounced
differently... (I met only a few native British English speakers, though)

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Jan 27, 2007, 8:42:01 AM1/27/07

In message "Re: OFFTOPIC: How to pronounce Ruby?"

on Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:31:11 +0900, "Florian Frank" <fl...@nixe.ping.de> writes:

|I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
|I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.

Maybe at the next conference.

matz.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Jan 27, 2007, 8:47:58 AM1/27/07

on Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:06:07 +0900, "Arie Kusuma Atmaja" <ariekusu...@gmail.com> writes:

|Ruby was written in Romaji then Katakana, it's being read: rubii
|or perhaps (sorry i'm not an english native speaker) in English
|pronounciation might be: roo bee

I pronounce Ruby as lu-bee when I speak in Japanese, and Ruby (as red
jewel) in English.

|AFAIK Japanese is so proud of Japan, that's why I wonder why Matz
|didn't name Ruby in Kanji Letters first, and then provided its
|translation in Katakana (ルビー) and Romaji (Ruby)

I am not fond of being cryptic for rest of the world. ;-)
The name of the language should always be in Roma-ji (alphabets), even
in Japanese.

matz.

Phrogz

Jan 27, 2007, 11:19:03 AM1/27/07
On Jan 19, 4:13 am, Peter Szinek <p...@rubyrailways.com> wrote:
> Is it more similar to 'dummy' or 'dubi(ous)'? (or neither :-)

I believe it is pronounced exactly the way the english word with the
same spelling, describing the precious gem, is pronounced.

You can see a pronunciation, along with a sound clip, here:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ruby

Florian Frank

Jan 27, 2007, 4:06:59 PM1/27/07
Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
> |I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.
>
> Maybe at the next conference.
Yeah, this would be great. It sure will top growing this beard! ;)

--
Florian Frank