About reopening Logger...

George Moschovitis

Aug 25, 2005, 4:11:25 AM8/25/05
Hello everyone,

Perhaps there is a problem with the newsgroup since the quoted message
didn't show up in my Reader. Thankfuly someone notified me about this
'gem' of a post.

> One of the things that's really great about agile languages is they give you
> the power to do anything. One of the most horrible things about agile
> languages is they give every other idiot the same power to stab you in
> theback with a rusty pitchfork.

One thing that's really great about mailing lists is they give you the
power of free expression. One of the most horrible things about mailing
lists is they give every other idiot the same power to say
stupid/childish/bad things about you in public.

> The glue project does it.

Oh yeah? Have a look here:

lib/active_support/misc.rb
lib/active_support/clean_logger.rb

I am sure you can find similar practices in a lot other projects.

> then I DOCUMENT THE HELL out of my modification

there is no :nodoc: in the glue code like you say, instead you can find
the following comment:

# the default Ruby logger has a hardwired silly format.
# we use some Ruby magic to fix it!

Maybe this is not the best documentation, but it is a warning.

> My appologies if I hurt anyone's feelings.

Your appologies are not accepted! I suggest that you reconsider your
behaviour in public forums.

Anyway...

I take responsibility for this bug as I am the one that intoroduced
this into Glue. However, you have to keep in mind that Glue is beta
software and bugs should be expected. At least, this project follows
Nitro's zero bug tolerance and frequent release strategies, so all
reported bugs are fixed and updates pushed to the users ASAP.

In short, thanks for reporting, hopefuly the next time you will care to
be a bit more polite.

regards,
George.

--