Whither Ruby DBI?

list...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2006, 10:22:19 AM6/11/06
I see that Ruby DBI is still on version 0.10. Is development active?

Why does ActiveRecord, for instance, not use DBI? Not only would it
standardize adapters, it would solve a lot of performance issues - such
as http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/67087 and
http://www.voxclandestina.com/ruby/rails/2005-05-24/improving-activerecord-part-1/
.

Dave Burt

Jun 14, 2006, 1:31:08 PM6/14/06
list...@gmail.com wrote:
> I see that Ruby DBI is still on version 0.10. Is development active?

Yes, development is active. I forget exactly who by, but if you look in
the archives, you can probably find out.

> Why does ActiveRecord, for instance, not use DBI? Not only would it
> standardize adapters, it would solve a lot of performance issues - such
> as http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/67087 and
> http://www.voxclandestina.com/ruby/rails/2005-05-24/improving-activerecord-part-1/

Consider ActiveRecord a peer and an alternative to DBI. Perhaps, though,
a more mature DBI could be used in the way you suggest.

Cheers,
Dave