[ANN] Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

Hannes Wyss

Feb 7, 2006, 3:29:11 AM2/7/06
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel - Get information from an Excel file.
============
Version: 0.3.2
Date: 2005-12-15

Short Description:
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel allows you to get information out of a simple Excel file
This Package is an - as of today incomplete - translation of Kawai
Takanoris Perl-Module.

Requirements
------------

* ruby 1.8

Install
-------

De-Compress archive and enter its top directory.
Then type:

$ ruby setup.rb config
$ ruby setup.rb setup
($ su)
# ruby setup.rb install

You can also install files into your favorite directory
by supplying setup.rb some options. Try "ruby setup.rb --help".

Usage
-----
workbook = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel.parse(path_to_file)
worksheet = workbook.worksheet(0)
worksheet.each(1) { |row|
puts row.at(0)
}

License
-------

LGPL

Author: Hannes Wyss <hw...@ywesee.com>

Enjoy, and thanks for your feedback!
Hannes

James H.

Feb 7, 2006, 9:04:12 AM2/7/06
Excellent! I'll definitely be using this in the near future.

Anu Sebastian

Aug 4, 2009, 4:50:56 AM8/4/09

I am using ruby ruby 1.8.6 and spreadsheet (0.6.4).
I am trying to oarse an excel file.
My code is like :

require 'rubygems'
require 'spreadsheet'
require 'parseexcel'
equire 'parseexcel/parseexcel'
require 'parseexcel/parser'

workbook =
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel.parse("public/downloads/commissions/google/test.xls")
worksheet = workbook.worksheet(0)

worksheet.each { |row|
puts row.at(0).to_s

}

But it prints 'nil'. I have data in my excel file.

Could you please help me?

Thanks,
Anu

Norman Smith

Aug 4, 2009, 8:15:36 AM8/4/09
Anu Sebastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using ruby ruby 1.8.6 and spreadsheet (0.6.4).
> I am trying to oarse an excel file.
> My code is like :
>
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'spreadsheet'
> require 'parseexcel'
> equire 'parseexcel/parseexcel'
> require 'parseexcel/parser'
>
> workbook =
> Spreadsheet::ParseExcel.parse("public/downloads/commissions/google/test.xls")
> worksheet = workbook.worksheet(0)
>
> worksheet.each { |row|
> puts row.at(0).to_s
>
> }

nil usually means empty rows. Also each row is an array of cells. You
could use inspect instead of to_s to see what's really there. This is
how I get data from a spreadsheet:

ws.each { |row|
if row != nil
#
# cycle over each cell in this row if it's not an empty row
#
row.each { |cell|
if cell != nil
contents = cell.to_s('latin1')
puts("Cell Contents: #{contents}\n")
end
}
end

Anu Sebastian

Aug 4, 2009, 8:42:53 AM8/4/09

Thanks for the response.
My excel file has data in it. When i give row.inspect i get the
following :
#<Spreadsheet::Excel::Row:0xffffffdbd3f67a
@worksheet=#<Spreadsheet::Excel::Worksheet:0xb70d75fc> @height=
@hidden=false @default_format= @outline_level=0 @formats= @idx=0 []>

But it doesn't print anything inside the loop
Any idea?

Thanks,
Anu