Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2 now available

Barry Warsaw

May 20, 2011, 8:53:14 PM5/20/11
to python-ann...@python.org, pytho...@python.org, Python-Dev Dev
Hello to all you Pythoneers and Pythonistas,

I'm happy to announce the availability of Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2.
Release candidate 1 was not widely announced due to a mismatch between the
Mercurial and Subversion branches. Barring any unforeseen issues, this will
be the last release candidate before 2.6.7 final, which is currently scheduled
for June 3, 2011.

As previously announced, Python 2.6 is in security-fix only mode. This means
that general bug fix maintenance has ended, and only critical security fixes
are supported. We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
October 2013. Also, this is a source-only release; no installers for Windows
or Mac OS X will be provided.

Please download and test this release candidate.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/

The NEWS file contains a list of changes since 2.6.6.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/NEWS.txt

Many thanks go out to the entire Python community for their contributions
great and small.

Enjoy,
-Barry
(on behalf of the Python development community)

signature.asc

harrismh777

May 21, 2011, 12:26:17 AM5/21/11
Barry Warsaw wrote:
> We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
> October 2013.

Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

thanks,
kind regards,
m harris

Ned Deily

May 21, 2011, 1:54:35 AM5/21/11
to pytho...@python.org
In article <I9HBp.13322$oq.1...@newsfe17.iad>,

harrismh777 <harri...@charter.net> wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
> > October 2013.
> Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

You can read about the Python development cycle and security branches in
the Python Developer's Guide:

http://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html#security-branches

> Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

Anyone can propose a security fix but the final decision is up to the
release manager in charge of the branch. For 2.6.x, that is Barry.

--
Ned Deily,
n...@acm.org