RELEASED Python 2.6.2

Barry Warsaw

Apr 15, 2009, 11:45:08 AM4/15/09
to python-...@python.org, Python List, Python-Dev Dev
On behalf of the Python community, I'm happy to announce the
availability of Python 2.6.2. This is the latest production-ready
version in the Python 2.6 series. Dozens of issues have been fixed
since Python 2.6.1 was released back in December. Please see the NEWS
file for all the gory details.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/NEWS.txt

For more information on Python 2.6 in general, please see

http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html

Source tarballs, Windows installers, and (soon) Mac OS X disk images
can be downloaded from the Python 2.6.2 page:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/

Please report bugs for any Python version in the Python tracker:

http://bugs.python.org

Enjoy,
-Barry

Barry Warsaw
ba...@python.org
Python 2.6/3.0 Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

PGP.sig

Russell E. Owen

Apr 15, 2009, 4:47:08 PM4/15/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
Thank you for 2.6.2.

I see the Mac binary installer isn't out yet (at least it is not listed
on the downloads page). Any chance that it will be compatible with 3rd
party Tcl/Tk?

Most recent releases have not been; the only way I know to make a
compatible build is to build the installer on a machine that already has
a 3rd party Tcl/Tk installed; the resulting binary is then compatible
with both 3rd party versions of Tcl/Tk and also with Apple's ancient
built in version.

-- Russell

Ned Deily

Apr 15, 2009, 4:58:44 PM4/15/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
In article <rowen-EDC16C....@news.gmane.org>,

Thanks for the reminder. FWIW, that issue has recently been documented
and there is a patch for the build script to ensure that the 3rd party
Tcl/Tk is present during the installer build. I don't think it made it
into the 2.6.2 source tree, though.

<http://bugs.python.org/issue5651>

--
Ned Deily,
n...@acm.org

Barry Warsaw

Apr 15, 2009, 5:08:38 PM4/15/09
to Russell E. Owen, pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
On Apr 15, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> Thank you for 2.6.2.

> I see the Mac binary installer isn't out yet (at least it is not
> listed
> on the downloads page). Any chance that it will be compatible with 3rd
> party Tcl/Tk?
>
> Most recent releases have not been; the only way I know to make a
> compatible build is to build the installer on a machine that already
> has
> a 3rd party Tcl/Tk installed; the resulting binary is then compatible
> with both 3rd party versions of Tcl/Tk and also with Apple's ancient
> built in version.

I can't answer this, but Ronald is building the OS X image for 2.6.2,
AFAIK. I think it will be out soon, and maybe he can answer your Tcl/
Tk question.

-Barry

PGP.sig

Scott David Daniels

Apr 15, 2009, 6:44:43 PM4/15/09
Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On behalf of the Python community, I'm happy to announce the
> availability of Python 2.6.2. This is the latest production-ready
> version in the Python 2.6 series. Dozens of issues have been fixed
> since Python 2.6.1 was released back in December. Please see the NEWS
> file for all the gory details.
Congratulations. A great success.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott....@Acm.Org

Ronald Oussoren

Apr 16, 2009, 8:35:25 AM4/16/09

On 15 Apr, 2009, at 22:47, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> Thank you for 2.6.2.
>
> I see the Mac binary installer isn't out yet (at least it is not
> listed
> on the downloads page). Any chance that it will be compatible with 3rd
> party Tcl/Tk?

The Mac installer is late because I missed the pre-announcement of the
2.6.2 tag. I sent the installer to Barry earlier today.

The installer was build using a 3th-party installation of Tcl/Tk.

Ronald

Ahmed, Shakir

Apr 16, 2009, 9:43:37 AM4/16/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org

I am getting following error while uploading data to a ftp server. Any
help is highly appreciated.

ftp.storbinary("stor erp.shp", ffile2,8192)
File "C:\Python24\lib\ftplib.py", line 419, in storbinary
conn.sendall(buf)
File "<string>", line 1, in sendall
error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

Thanks
sk

Aahz

Apr 16, 2009, 3:24:04 PM4/16/09
In article <mailman.3990.1239891...@python.org>,

Can you use a regular FTP client? Please show us the code you use to
establish the connection.
--
Aahz (aa...@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

until you hire an amateur." --Red Adair

Russell Owen

Apr 16, 2009, 2:58:27 PM4/16/09
to Ronald Oussoren, pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
expect).

I just built python from source and that version does use ActiveState
8.4.19.

I wish I knew what's going on. Not being able to use the binary
distros is a bit of a pain.

Just out of curiosity: which 3rd party Tcl/Tk did you have installed
when you made the installer? Perhaps if it was 8.5 that would explain
it. If so I may try updating my Tcl/Tk -- I've been wanting some of
the bug fixes in 8.5 anyway.

-- Russell

Ned Deily

Apr 16, 2009, 11:28:45 PM4/16/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
In article <DD982BD4-02AB-4395...@u.washington.edu>,

Russell Owen <ro...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
> except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
> ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
> expect).
>
> I just built python from source and that version does use ActiveState
> 8.4.19.
>
> I wish I knew what's going on. Not being able to use the binary
> distros is a bit of a pain.

You're right, the tkinter included with the 2.6.2 installer is not
linked properly:

Is:
$ cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6
$ cd lib/python2.6/lib-dynload
$ otool -L _tkinter.so
_tkinter.so:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl
(compatibility version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk
(compatibility version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib [...]

should be:
_tkinter.so:
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl (compatibility
version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.19)
/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk (compatibility
version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.19)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib [...]

--
Ned Deily,
n...@acm.org

Ronald Oussoren

Apr 17, 2009, 2:17:50 AM4/17/09
to Russell Owen, pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org

On 16 Apr, 2009, at 20:58, Russell Owen wrote:

> I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
> except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
> ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
> expect).

That's very string. I had ActiveState 8.4 installed (whatever was
current about a month ago).

> Just out of curiosity: which 3rd party Tcl/Tk did you have installed
> when you made the installer? Perhaps if it was 8.5 that would
> explain it. If so I may try updating my Tcl/Tk -- I've been wanting
> some of the bug fixes in 8.5 anyway.

Tcl 8.5 won't happen in 2.6, and might not happen in 2.7 either.
Tkinter needs to work with the system version of Tcl, which is some
version of 8.4, Tkinter will not work when the major release of Tcl
is different than during the compile. That makes it rather hard to
support both 8.4 and 8.5 in the same installer.

Ronald

Piet van Oostrum

Apr 17, 2009, 5:42:59 AM4/17/09
to Barry Warsaw, Python List, python-...@python.org, Python-Dev Dev

>BW> On behalf of the Python community, I'm happy to announce the availability
>BW> of Python 2.6.2. This is the latest production-ready version in the
>BW> Python 2.6 series. Dozens of issues have been fixed since Python 2.6.1
>BW> was released back in December. Please see the NEWS file for all the gory
>BW> details.

>BW> http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/NEWS.txt

>BW> For more information on Python 2.6 in general, please see

>BW> http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html

>BW> Source tarballs, Windows installers, and (soon) Mac OS X disk images can
>BW> be downloaded from the Python 2.6.2 page:

>BW> http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/

Maybe a link to the MacOSX image can also be added to
http://www.python.org/download
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: pi...@vanoostrum.org

Barry Warsaw

Apr 17, 2009, 8:57:49 AM4/17/09
to Piet van Oostrum, Python List, Python-Dev Dev
On Apr 17, 2009, at 5:42 AM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Maybe a link to the MacOSX image can also be added to
> http://www.python.org/download

Done.
-Barry

PGP.sig

Russell Owen

Apr 17, 2009, 12:23:46 PM4/17/09
On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 16 Apr, 2009, at 20:58, Russell Owen wrote:
>
>> I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
>> except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
>> ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
>> expect).
>
> That's very string. I had ActiveState 8.4 installed (whatever was
> current about a month ago).

I agree. (For what it's worth, you probably have Tcl/Tk 8.4.19 -- a
version I've found to be very robust. 8.4.19 was released awhile ago
and is probably the last version of 8.4 we will see, since all
development is happening on 8.5 now).

Could you try a simple experiment (assuming you still have ActiveState
Tcl/Tk installed): run python from the command line and enter these
commands:
import Tkinter
root = Tkinter.Tk()

Then go to the application that comes up and select About Tcl/Tk...
(in the Python menu) and see what version it reports. When I run with
the Mac binary of 2.6.2 it reports 8.4.7 (Apple's built-in python).
When I build python 2.6.2 from source it reports 8.4.19 (my
ActiveState Tclc/Tk).

>> Just out of curiosity: which 3rd party Tcl/Tk did you have
>> installed when you made the installer? Perhaps if it was 8.5 that
>> would explain it. If so I may try updating my Tcl/Tk -- I've been
>> wanting some of the bug fixes in 8.5 anyway.
>
> Tcl 8.5 won't happen in 2.6, and might not happen in 2.7 either.
> Tkinter needs to work with the system version of Tcl, which is some
> version of 8.4, Tkinter will not work when the major release of Tcl
> is different than during the compile. That makes it rather hard to
> support both 8.4 and 8.5 in the same installer.

Perfect. I agree.

-- Russell

Russell E. Owen

Apr 17, 2009, 6:47:11 PM4/17/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
In article <nad-304E10.2...@news.gmane.org>,
Ned Deily <n...@acm.org> wrote:

> In article <DD982BD4-02AB-4395...@u.washington.edu>,

> Russell Owen <ro...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
> > except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
> > ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
> > expect).
> >

> > I just built python from source and that version does use ActiveState
> > 8.4.19.
> >
> > I wish I knew what's going on. Not being able to use the binary
> > distros is a bit of a pain.
>
> You're right, the tkinter included with the 2.6.2 installer is not
> linked properly:
>
> Is:
> $ cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6
> $ cd lib/python2.6/lib-dynload
> $ otool -L _tkinter.so
> _tkinter.so:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl
> (compatibility version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.0)
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk
> (compatibility version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.0)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib [...]
>
> should be:
> _tkinter.so:
> /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl (compatibility
> version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.19)
> /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk (compatibility
> version 8.4.0, current version 8.4.19)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib [...]

Just for the record, when I built Python 2.6 from source I got the
latter output (the desired result).

If someone can point me to instructions I'm willing to try to make a
binary installer and make it available (though I'd much prefer to debug
the standard installer).

-- Russell

Ned Deily

Apr 17, 2009, 7:13:34 PM4/17/09
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org
In article <rowen-E2F734....@news.gmane.org>,

"Russell E. Owen" <ro...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

I suspect Ronald will be fixing this in the standard installer soon.

--
Ned Deily,
n...@acm.org