Web Hosting

1 view

Sir Psycho

Oct 15, 2006, 2:32:39 AM10/15/06

With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
scripting?

I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
Java.

Thanks for your time,

Gregor Horvath

Oct 15, 2006, 3:00:02 AM10/15/06

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/Hosting?highlight=%28hosting%29

--
Servus, Gregor

metaperl

Oct 16, 2006, 9:59:35 AM10/16/06

Sir Psycho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
> you work with as well?
>
> Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
> actually support.

We support any and every thing Python and we are a not-for-profit
cooperative. Check us out:

http://www.HCOOP.net
irc://irc.freenode.org/#hcoop

Bruno Desthuilliers

Oct 16, 2006, 12:03:15 PM10/16/06
Sir Psycho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
> you work with as well?

It at least has to support a reasonable way to deploy an application
using the said framework - now what this implies depends on the choosen
framework.

> Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
> actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
> if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?
>
> If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
> scripting?

It really depends on the ISP. You have to check on case by case basis.

> I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
> into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
> Java.

Things may get a bit more complicated when it comes to web applications.
FWIW, I'm not sure you can deploy any web applications in Java without a
(distinct, long-running process) application server... In the very worst
case, Python has at least CGI support (now why would anyone go for an
ISP that doesn't provide a better Python support is another question !-).

--
bruno desthuilliers
p in 'on...@xiludom.gro'.split('@')])"

Jose C

Oct 16, 2006, 2:18:36 PM10/16/06
> With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
> you work with as well?
>
> Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
> actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
> if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

Check out http://webfaction.com... They have a one-click TurboGears
installation procedure (as well as some other frameworks) but you can
also install your own custom frameworks if they don't support it
directly.

HTH,