Books: Core Python Programming vs. Python Cookbook

Neil MacMillan

Jan 6, 2003, 11:29:29 PM1/6/03
I'm a 1st year computer science student, but I've been teaching myself
Python as my first useful programming language on and off for over a
year and a half. I'm confident that I know the basic programming
concepts and Python-specific concepts, and I'm slowly working my way
through GUI programming now. I don't know about threading, sockets,
and similar things that aren't applicable to a broad range of
applications.

I'm looking for a book in which I can find explanations and examples
for things like Tkinter, network programming in Python, etc. Topics
that are covered in the official tutorial aren't necessary, but my
intelligence won't be insulted if they're there. Mostly I want
something to which I can refer for ideas on how to do things better
and examples of things I never knew were possible (or at least I never
knew were simpler than they sound).

I've been going to the Chapters store and reading Core Python for
explanations of specific things that I needed to know, but the other
day I looked at Python Cookbook, which seemed interesting too.
Unfortunately, Chapters recently took Core Python off the shelf, so I
can't compare them myself. Chapters.ca has a 30% off sale, and I got
a $20 gift certificate for my birthday, so I can afford one or the
other (I might be able to make myself afford both if necessary, but I
won't count on it). They're about the same price, so sadly I can't
decide on that basis. If you please, which one would you recommend,
and why? Would it be worth getting both?

Sean Ross

Jan 7, 2003, 8:13:54 AM1/7/03
I'm not very familiar with "Core Python", though I have browsed through it.

I own the "Python Cookbook" and I'm very happy with it.
It fits very neatly into one part of your criteria -

> Mostly I want
> something to which I can refer for ideas on how to do things better
> and examples of things I never knew were possible (or at least I never
> knew were simpler than they sound).

And, it does cover some Tkinter, network programming, etc. But it does not
cover these topics in depth.
Also, it is available for free online. Personally, I prefer to read from a
book which is why I bought a copy.
But the same material, plus new submissions are available at
aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/
in case your interested.

For greater coverage of Tkinter, network programming, etc., I'd recommend
"Programming Python, 2nd Ed.", by Mark Lutz.
It's a bit dated now, but it's still got a lot of code on a lot of subjects.
Unfortunately, it is pretty expensive so, if money is an issue, this may be
a problem.

Oh, and for Tkinter in particular, I'd recommend "Python and Tkinter", by
John E. Grayson.
But, again, you've only got so much money...

So, in a nutshell (which should be out soon I hope, ;) ),
I'd say if you have the money get "Programming Python, 2nd Ed." otherwise
get "Python Cookbook".
The only thing I can say about "Core Python" is it did not convince me to
purchase it.

OK, good luck and have fun,
Sean

"Neil MacMillan" <sir_pen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Cameron Laird

Jan 7, 2003, 9:00:15 AM1/7/03
In article <zoAS9.2014$7h3.4...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
.
.
.
*Core Python*'s a fine book. I recommend it for people
who are tentative about programming, and need a lot of
hand-holding. On the other hand, Prentice-Hall published
it in 2001, and it only touches on 2.0 features. My
guess is Mr. MacMillan can do better.

John's book's even older, but still tops for Tkinter.
The one competitor, I suppose, is Fredrik's *An Introduction
to Tkinter*.

*Programming Python* gives a lot, but it's not for every-
one. I still haven't figured out how to characterize it,
although people who consider themselves "beginners" in
Python generally don't find it satisfying--'least, not in
my experience.

I don't think the *Cookbook* can be beaten. It says all
the right things, and says them artfully. In principle,
it's to be read by those who already know what they're
doing with Python. Its quality is so high, though, that
*every*one loves it. Get the *Cookbook*.

It is *not* true that
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/
has everything the dead trees version has, plus updates.
While it's a reasonable expectation, and perhaps things
have changed since I last looked (when I tried now, I was
unable to get through to aspn.activestate.com), they have
been related-but-different in previous months.
--

Cameron Laird <Cam...@Lairds.com>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

David Mertz

Jan 7, 2003, 1:19:38 PM1/7/03
sir_pen...@yahoo.com (Neil MacMillan) wrote previously:

|I'm a 1st year computer science student, but I've been teaching myself
|Python as my first useful programming language
|Core Python for explanations of specific things...

|I looked at Python Cookbook, which seemed interesting too.

Of these two, I would recommend Chun's book to someone just learning
Python. In fact, of the more than half dozen introductory books, _Core
Python_ is probably my favorite, but _Learning Python_ and _Python
Bible_ are both good (avoid the Martin Brown titles at all costs; all
the others are OK).

_Python Cookbook_ is a really nice book, but it is aimed more at
experience Python programmers looking for clever tricks and techniques
that they may not have thought of. I think a beginner might get
disoriented by _Cookbook_. However, I look forward to Martelli's
_Python in a Nutshell_, which I'm sure will be an excellent
introduction, but that's not quite on shelves yet.

Of course, my vanity has to proclaim that you should read my book,
<http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/>. On the big downside, you won't be able to by
that on shelves until a couple months after you can get _Nutshell_.
Still, you are free to download the text for personal use now.

Yours, David...

--
mertz@ _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_ n o
gnosis _/_/ Postmodern Enterprises \_\_

Neil MacMillan

Jan 7, 2003, 5:20:26 PM1/7/03
David, I've had your book bookmarked in my Python directory for a
little while. Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to
budget for it yet. :p

Thank you everybody. I've decided to get just the Cookbook. I'm sure
that for anything that isn't explored deeply enough for me, there's
something on the web that explains it (and if not, it's nothing a
couple hours with the interactive prompt, the source, and the library
reference can't explain). Besides, it's a lot easier to carry the
Cookbook around in my backpack library than Core Python would be.

And I must say, after buying textbooks, it's nice to be able to get a
book I'll actually enjoy for 1/5 the price of a text.

Neil M.

David Mertz

Jan 7, 2003, 1:00:01 AM1/7/03
sir_pen...@yahoo.com (Neil MacMillan) wrote previously:
|I'm a 1st year computer science student, but I've been teaching myself
|Python as my first useful programming language
|Core Python for explanations of specific things...

|I looked at Python Cookbook, which seemed interesting too.

Of these two, I would recommend Chun's book to someone just learning

Python. In fact, of the more than half dozen introductory books, _Core
Python_ is probably my favorite, but _Learning Python_ and _Python
Bible_ are both good (avoid the Martin Brown titles at all costs; all
the others are OK).

_Python Cookbook_ is a really nice book, but it is aimed more at
experience Python programmers looking for clever tricks and techniques
that they may not have thought of. I think a beginner might get
disoriented by _Cookbook_. However, I look forward to Martelli's
_Python in a Nutshell_, which I'm sure will be an excellent
introduction, but that's not quite on shelves yet.

Of course, my vanity has to proclaim that you should read my book,
<http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/>. On the big downside, you won't be able to by
that on shelves until a couple months after you can get _Nutshell_.
Still, you are free to download the text for personal use now.

Yours, David...

Doug Glenn

Jan 7, 2003, 6:48:47 PM1/7/03
On Monday 06 January 2003 23:29, Neil MacMillan wrote:
> I'm looking for a book in which I can find explanations and examples
> for things like Tkinter, network programming in Python, etc. Topics

Heck, I've bought about every Python book out there from Learning
Python, Programming Python, Python in 24 hours (yeck), Python
Programming on Win32, Python Essential Reference, Learning to Program
using Python.. and the best of the lot for getting me up and running
was the Quick Python book by Daryl Harms and Kenneth McDonald. It got
me up and running the quickest. The others were more pendatic going
from intro, to this, to that, and you had to follow each in order to
move onto the next. This book got down and showed only the bare bones
quickly and then going on to more estoric stuff without putting you
through a lot of the background or why. You were expected to go out and
get the others instead :) I already knew basic programming. What I
needed was a way to go from a to c without having to sip on b. Now I
can go back and use the others more as a reference. I suppose it all
boils down to what your background is and where you are expecting to
go.

I just needed something simple and fast. I don't expect to get in depth
as a lot of people, so covering the finer points or even the fine
points was not what I was looking for. Just basic examples I could
string together and get it done initially. Now that is over, I can go
back and take more time with the details.

-----
Doug