best way to learn

ed

Oct 21, 2002, 11:09:34 PM10/21/02
Hey all. I'm a python newbie, but I have experience
in other very
high level languages, mainly php.
I was wondering what is the best way to become
proficient in python
quickly?
I'm actually a pretty decent php programmer, so I
don't think I need
something that spends too much time on the basics(ie
loops and if
statements).
I just need to know how things work in python.

I've tried the main tutorial that comes with the
distro, and to be
honest I was kind of disappointed. It don't seem to
have the linear
quality and cohesiveness that a good tutorial should.
Hope I don't make anyone mad by saying that.

Should I get a book, if so which one?
"Learning python", "programming python", "python
cookbook"?
Or can I get pretty much everything I need on the web,
like a lot of
good tutorials and some good language references?

If I get a book I'd like to get one that works as a
newbie tutorial
but by the end of the book deals with some advanced
topics and will
also work somewhat well as a reference. Is that
asking too much?

Should I trust the reviews at amazon.com? :)

Any guidance appreciated.

tia,
--ed

ed

Oct 21, 2002, 11:20:20 PM10/21/02
Hey all. I'm a python newbie, but I have experience
in other very
high level languages, mainly php.
I was wondering what is the best way to become
proficient in python
quickly?
I'm actually a pretty decent php programmer, so I
don't think I need
something that spends too much time on the basics(ie
loops and if
statements).
I just need to know how things work in python.

I did do the tutorial that comes with the distro, but
I need more than that.

Should I get a book, if so which one?
"Learning python", "programming python", "python
cookbook"?
Or can I get pretty much everything I need on the web,
like a lot of
good tutorials and some good language references?

If I get a book I'd like to get one that works as a
newbie tutorial
but by the end of the book deals with some advanced
topics and will
also work somewhat well as a reference. Is that
asking too much?

Should I trust the reviews at amazon.com? :)

Any guidance appreciated.

tia,
--ed

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Geoff Howland

Oct 22, 2002, 12:51:41 AM10/22/02
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:20:20 -0700 (PDT), ed <coo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hey all. I'm a python newbie, but I have experience
>in other very high level languages, mainly php.
>I was wondering what is the best way to become
>proficient in python quickly?

I would say this is similar for all languages. You should pick a
project that interests you, but is not so complex you cant just start
working on it, and that will drag you along having to learn the
language.

>Should I get a book, if so which one?
>"Learning python", "programming python", "python
>cookbook"?
>Or can I get pretty much everything I need on the web,
>like a lot of good tutorials and some good language references?

I found the python tutorial pages on the python.org site, and the
modules to answer a lot of my inital questions. So they are a good
part of it.

I also bought 'Core Python Programming' by Wesley J. Chun (Prentice
Hall) and it's been very useful. I use its tables on dict/string/list
functions enough I should probably photocopy them, or get a memory.
:)

>If I get a book I'd like to get one that works as a
>newbie tutorial but by the end of the book deals with some advanced
>topics and will also work somewhat well as a reference. Is that
>asking too much?

Might be, others may have advice on books that actually do this. I
haven't found many that actually seem to work at the right pace for
the amount of material they have to cover in a coherent manner.
That's why I suggest the 'pick a project' method. Once you've done
one, refactor it and/or do another and keep going.

Making things work in a non-trivial project will cause you to hit your
toe against quite a few walls until you find your light switch. Then
new programs explore new territory...

-Geoff Howland
http://ludumdare.com/

Richard Bow

Oct 22, 2002, 1:10:07 AM10/22/02
Geoff Howland <ghow...@lupineNO.SPAMgames.com> wrote in

> That's why I suggest the 'pick a project' method. Once you've done
> one, refactor it and/or do another and keep going.

Please explain what is meant by "refactor".

Thanks,

Richard Bow

maxm

Oct 22, 2002, 2:21:10 AM10/22/02
Richard Bow wrote:

> Please explain what is meant by "refactor".

It means to clean up a codebase. Rewrite it until it follows best
practice. Rewrite until it is beatiful, efficient and correct.

You should do it without changing functionality.

And a few links found on the amazing Google:

http://emw.inf.tu-dresden.de/de/pdai/Forschung/refactoring/refactoring_html/node26.html
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refactor
http://ootips.org/refactoring.html
http://www.exciton.cs.rice.edu/comp410/books/refactoring.html

regards Max M

Richard Bow

Oct 22, 2002, 4:59:19 AM10/22/02
maxm <ma...@mxm.dk> wrote in news:3DB4EE56...@mxm.dk:

> Richard Bow wrote:
>
> > Please explain what is meant by "refactor".
>
> It means to clean up a codebase. Rewrite it until it follows best
> practice. Rewrite until it is beatiful, efficient and correct.
>
> You should do it without changing functionality.
>
> And a few links found on the amazing Google:
>
> http://emw.inf.tu-dresden.de/de/pdai/Forschung/refactoring/refactoring_h

> tml/node26.html http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refactor
> http://ootips.org/refactoring.html
> http://www.exciton.cs.rice.edu/comp410/books/refactoring.html

Thanks very much for your short explanation, and the informative links.

Richard Bow

Dave Richards

Oct 23, 2002, 8:15:46 AM10/23/02
I learned Python after about a year of programming PHP, mainly because I
wanted to write a few gui programs, and PHP is crap for that. I bought
Programming Python and it's great.

It takes you on a quick tour through Python and the main modules - os and
sys - with useful code all the way. But within 100 pages you're doing
threads, signals and IPC - things you never use in PHP. It covers gui
programming - but alas only with Tk which mings on Linux - cgi, writing
extensions etc. etc. It also gives you a good look at OO. I don't know if
you use classes much in PHP, but they're much more important in Python.

Brilliant book. It's not such a wonderful reference - the Python docs are
- but is has great examples.

Dave

Erik Max Francis

Oct 23, 2002, 4:43:04 PM10/23/02
Dave Richards wrote:

> Brilliant book. It's not such a wonderful reference - the Python docs
> are
> - but is has great examples.

I'm surprised someone's recommending this book. Are you referring to
the second edition?

--
Erik Max Francis / m...@alcyone.com / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ It is much safer to obey than to rule.

demian neidetcher

Oct 24, 2002, 12:48:19 AM10/24/02
a great book on refactoring is by martin fowler:

http://www.refactoring.com/

Will Stuyvesant

Oct 24, 2002, 2:28:24 AM10/24/02
> [Erik Max Francis]
> > [Dave Richards]
> > Brilliant book. It's not such a wonderful reference - the Python docs
> > are - but is has great examples.
>
> I'm surprised someone's recommending this book. Are you referring to
> the second edition?

I think the Programming Python book, 2nd edition, is very good! It
has example scripts for portably launching apps, and Tkinter examples,
and many others I reuse often. We need a 3rd edition that tells us
about the new modules and iterator and generators etc!

'''
In political discussion heat is in inverse proportion to knowledge.
-- J.G.C. Minchin
'''

Erik Max Francis

Oct 24, 2002, 2:39:11 AM10/24/02
Will Stuyvesant wrote:

> I think the Programming Python book, 2nd edition, is very good! It
> has example scripts for portably launching apps, and Tkinter examples,
> and many others I reuse often. We need a 3rd edition that tells us
> about the new modules and iterator and generators etc!

Have you read the first edition for comparison? I read the first
edition -- in fact it was my first introduction to Python -- and was not
impressed. Even as an experienced programmer in other languages, I
found it disorganized and slightly frustrating -- especially given how
simple a language like Python is, it actually got in the way of
learning.

I've only read the first edition; I've heard ancedotally that the second
edition is better but haven't read it. Anyone who has read both willing
to given an overview of the differences?

--
Erik Max Francis / m...@alcyone.com / http://www.alcyone.com/max/

/ \ All the gods are dead except the god of war.
\__/ Leroy Eldridge Cleaver
Official Omega page / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/
The official distribution page for the popular Roguelike, Omega.