py2exe 0.6.2 released

Thomas Heller

Sep 7, 2005, 11:55:28 AM9/7/05
to py2exe...@lists.sourceforge.net, pytho...@python.org, python-ann...@python.org
This is a bugfix release for py2exe 0.6.1.

py2exe 0.6.2 released
=====================

py2exe is a Python distutils extension which converts python scripts
into executable windows programs, able to run without requiring a
python installation. Console and Windows (GUI) applications, windows
NT services, exe and dll COM servers are supported.

Changes in 0.6.2:

* Several important bugfixes:

- bundled extensions in packages did not work correctly, this
made the wxPython single-file sample fail with newer wxPython
versions.

- occasionally dlls/pyds were loaded twice, with very strange
effects.

- the source distribution was not complete.

- it is now possible to build a debug version of py2exe.

Changes in 0.6.1:

* py2exe can now bundle binary extensions and dlls into the
library-archive or the executable itself. This allows to
finally build real single-file executables.

The bundled dlls and pyds are loaded at runtime by some special
code that emulates the Windows LoadLibrary function - they are
never unpacked to the file system.

This part of the code is distributed under the MPL 1.1, so this
license is now pulled in by py2exe.

* By default py2exe now includes the codecs module and the
encodings package.

* Several other fixes.

Homepage:

<http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe>

Download from the usual location:

<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15583>

Enjoy,

Thomas

Ray Schumacher

Sep 7, 2005, 1:12:33 PM9/7/05
to Thomas Heller, py2exe...@lists.sourceforge.net, pytho...@python.org, python-ann...@python.org
First, Thanks again for the update.

At 08:55 AM 9/7/2005, Thomas Heller wrote:

> This part of the code is distributed under the MPL 1.1, so this
> license is now pulled in by py2exe.

As I read it, it seems that I need to include an Exibit A
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html#exhibit-a
filled out so that it includes the py2exe home, as well as Python, probably.
It could be put in the Zip or Rar to be viewed on extraction.
Does this sound correct?

Ray Schumacher

Bugs

Sep 7, 2005, 1:36:49 PM9/7/05
As a big test of Thomas's excellent work with py2exe, I tried to create
a single-file executable of the wxPython demo (demo.py).
The executable was built (5.3MB) but gets a C++ runtime error when I try
to execute?

Here's the log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "demo.py", line 4, in ?
File "Main.pyo", line 1738, in main
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7473, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7125, in _BootstrapApp
File "Main.pyo", line 1723, in OnInit
File "Main.pyo", line 1677, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 2889, in ConvertToBitmap
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed in
..\..\src\msw\bitmap.cpp(822): invalid image

I'm brand new to py2exe so I'm not sure if I'm using it properly. I
created the executable by using the samples\singlefile\gui\setup.py and
just updated script = "demo.py". Then I ran the script as follows:
> python setup.py py2exe --bundle 1

Correct?

Thomas Heller

Sep 9, 2005, 11:50:08 AM9/9/05