ANN: PyInstaller 1.0 in the works: package your Python app into a single-file executable

Giovanni Bajo

Sep 3, 2005, 6:13:43 PM9/3/05
Hello,

http://pyinstaller.hpcf.upr.edu/

PyInstaller is a program that packages Python programs into stand-alone
executables, under both Windows and Linux. This is similar to the famous
py2exe, but PyInstaller is also able to build fully-contained (single file)
executables, while py2exe can only build directories containing an executable
with multiple dynamic libraries.
PyInstaller is an effort to rescue, maintain and further develop Gordon
McMillan's Python Installer (now PyInstaller). Their official website is not
longer available and the original package is not longer maintained. Believing
that it is still far superior to py2exe we have setup this page to continue its
further development.

We have just begun development on PyInstaller. Feel free to join us in the
effort! Please consult our Roadmap
(http://pyinstaller.hpcf.upr.edu/pyinstaller/roadmap) to check our plans.

--
Giovanni Bajo

Trent Mick

Sep 6, 2005, 1:13:28 PM9/6/05
to Giovanni Bajo, pytho...@python.org
[Giovanni Bajo wrote]

> Hello,
>
> http://pyinstaller.hpcf.upr.edu/
>
> PyInstaller is a program that packages Python programs into stand-alone
> executables, under both Windows and Linux. This is similar to the famous
> py2exe, but PyInstaller is also able to build fully-contained (single file)
> executables, while py2exe can only build directories containing an executable
> with multiple dynamic libraries.

I notice that the release notes for py2exe 0.6.1 mention that it finally
*can* make a single file executable. I'm not involved in developing it
nor am I that experienced with it. Just an FYI.

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Trent

--
Trent Mick
Tre...@ActiveState.com

Giovanni Bajo

Sep 6, 2005, 7:59:40 PM9/6/05
Trent Mick wrote:

> I notice that the release notes for py2exe 0.6.1 mention that it
> finally *can* make a single file executable. I'm not involved in
> developing it
> nor am I that experienced with it. Just an FYI.

Yes, I noticed it. You'll have noticed also that the announcement happened
after my mail was already posted. I'll update PyInstaller's website ASAP to fix
the now incorrect information in there.

Thanks,
--
Giovanni Bajo

Trent Mick

Sep 6, 2005, 8:02:51 PM9/6/05
to Giovanni Bajo, pytho...@python.org
[Giovanni Bajo wrote]

Yah. I read about the py2exe release on python-announce first and then
your announcement on python-list and then the py2exe announcement on
python-list. Sorry for jumping the gun.