Re: cpan for python?

sste...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2010, 9:31:56 AM2/28/10
to Someone Something, pytho...@python.org

On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Someone Something wrote:

> Is there something like cpan for python? I like python's syntax, but I use perl because of cpan and the tremendous modules that it has. --

Please search the mailing list archives.

This subject has been discussed to absolute death.

Draw your own conclusions about what is currently and may, in the future, be available.

Daniel Fetchinson

Feb 28, 2010, 11:27:22 AM2/28/10
to Python
> Is there something like cpan for python? I like python's syntax, but I use
> perl because of cpan and the tremendous modules that it has.

It's called PyPI or Cheese Shop:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi

<OFF>
Is it only me or others also mentally read C-SPAN when somebody writes CPAN?
</OFF>

Cheers,
Daniel

Steven D'Aprano

Feb 28, 2010, 5:57:47 PM2/28/10
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:27:22 +0100, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

> <OFF>
> Is it only me or others also mentally read C-SPAN when somebody writes
> CPAN? </OFF>

No, it's not just you. This is the first time I've realised it wasn't
C-SPAN.

--
Steven

R Fritz

Mar 2, 2010, 4:14:50 PM3/2/10
On 2010-02-28 06:31:56 -0800, sste...@gmail.com said:

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Someone Something wrote:
>
>> Is there something like cpan for python? I like python's syntax, but

>> Iuse perl because of cpan and the tremendous modules that it has. --

> Please search the mailing list archives.
>
> This subject has been discussed to absolute death.

But somehow the question is not in the FAQ, though the answer is. See:

<http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library/#how-do-i-find-a-module-or-application-to-perform-task-x>

--

Randolph Fritz
design machine group, architecture department, university of washington

TomF

Mar 2, 2010, 5:47:36 PM3/2/10
On 2010-03-02 13:14:50 -0800, R Fritz <rfr...@u.washington.edu> said:

> On 2010-02-28 06:31:56 -0800, sste...@gmail.com said:
>>
>> On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Someone Something wrote:
>>
>>> Is there something like cpan for python? I like python's syntax, but
>>> Iuse perl because of cpan and the tremendous modules that it has. --
>>
>> Please search the mailing list archives.
>>
>> This subject has been discussed to absolute death.
>
> But somehow the question is not in the FAQ, though the answer is. See:
>
> <http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library/#how-do-i-find-a-module-or-application-to-perform-task-x>

There

is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is used for
searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK the python
community has developed nothing like it.

-Tom

Lie Ryan

Mar 2, 2010, 10:59:01 PM3/2/10

python have easy_install

John Bokma

Mar 2, 2010, 11:58:47 PM3/2/10
Lie Ryan <lie....@gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:

[..]

>> There
>> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is used for
>> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
>> repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK the python
>> community has developed nothing like it.
>
> python have easy_install

How easy is it to /remove/ something? ;-) (Last time I checked I read
something like "manually remove the .egg"...

--
John Bokma j3b

Ben Finney

Mar 3, 2010, 12:17:16 AM3/3/10
Lie Ryan <lie....@gmail.com> writes:

Indeed. And that program is nothing like the Perl ‘cpan’ program.

--
\ “Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. |
`\ “Don't bother us with politics,” respond those who don't want |

TomF

Mar 3, 2010, 3:23:16 AM3/3/10

easy_install is part of setuptools. As I said, nothing like cpan.

-Tom

John Gabriele

Mar 3, 2010, 10:10:07 AM3/3/10
On Mar 2, 11:58 pm, John Bokma <j...@castleamber.com> wrote:

> Lie Ryan <lie.1...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> >> There
> >> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl.  It is used for
> >> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
> >> repository.  It's far more extensive than setuptools.  AFAIK the python
> >> community has developed nothing like it.
>
> > python have easy_install
>
> How easy is it to /remove/ something? ;-) (Last time I checked I read
> something like "manually remove the .egg"...

Have a look at [pip](http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pip). It should
support uninstalling packages.

---John

John Bokma

Mar 3, 2010, 1:04:39 PM3/3/10
John Gabriele <jmg...@gmail.com> writes:

Thanks John. However:

"Known exceptions include pure-distutils packages installed with
python setup.py install"

I want to remove something that I installed that way (because it's
installation procedure seems to be broken; opensocial) I understand that
this can't be blamed on pip, but it's odd that in this century it's
still hard to install/uninstall modules :-(

mk

Mar 3, 2010, 2:46:24 PM3/3/10
to pytho...@python.org
John Bokma wrote:
> I want to remove something that I installed that way (because it's
> installation procedure seems to be broken; opensocial) I understand that
> this can't be blamed on pip, but it's odd that in this century it's
> still hard to install/uninstall modules :-(

Have you looked in a file easy-install.pth in site-packages? In my
experience it's enough to delete the line for package from there and
delete package's egg or directory.

I agree that this is kind of backward, though.

Regards,
mk

Ben Finney

Mar 3, 2010, 5:32:21 PM3/3/10
John Bokma <jo...@castleamber.com> writes:

> I want to remove something that I installed [with its Distutils build
> system] (because it's installation procedure seems to be broken;

> opensocial) I understand that this can't be blamed on pip, but it's
> odd that in this century it's still hard to install/uninstall modules
> :-(

That's because of the last-century legacy of Distutils's design.

--
\ “Imagine a world without hypothetical situations.” —anonymous |
`\ |