How to use generators?

Ian Vincent

Nov 9, 2005, 6:18:12 AM11/9/05
<Spoiler Alert - Anyone at < Level 24 in Python Challenge may not want to
read this post!>

I have never used generators before but I might have now found a use for
them. I have written a recursive function to solve a 640x640 maze but it
crashes, due to exceeding the stack. The only way around this I can
think of is to use Generator but I have no idea how to.

The function is as below:

def solve_maze(x,y):
if y <= 0:
success = 1
elif x <= 0 or x > 640 or y >= 640:
success = 0
elif maze_array[x][y] == 1:
success = 0
elif im.getpixel((x,y)) == (255, 255, 255, 255):
success = 0
else:
maze_array[x][y] = 1
if solve_maze(x,y-1) == 1:
success = 1
elif solve_maze(x+1,y) == 1:
success = 1
elif solve_maze(x-1,y) == 1:
success = 1
else:
success = solve_maze(x,y+1)

if success == 1:
print im.getpixel((x,y))

return success

#Main
wibble = solve_maze(x,y)

Sybren Stuvel

Nov 9, 2005, 10:01:30 AM11/9/05
Ian Vincent enlightened us with:

> I have never used generators before but I might have now found a use
> for them. I have written a recursive function to solve a 640x640
> maze but it crashes, due to exceeding the stack. The only way
> around this I can think of is to use Generator but I have no idea
> how to.

A better way is to use a queue. I had the same problem with a similar
piece of code. The only thing why you're using a stack is to move to
the "next" point, without going back to a visited point.

The non-recursive solution is to mark all visited points as such, only
consider non-visited points, and then append the coordinates to a list
of points yet to visit. Then keep looping over your code until either
you found the solution to the maze or there are no points left to
visit.

Sybren
Frank Zappa

Tom Anderson

Nov 9, 2005, 1:58:45 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> Ian Vincent enlightened us with:
>
>> I have never used generators before but I might have now found a use
>> for them. I have written a recursive function to solve a 640x640 maze
>> but it crashes, due to exceeding the stack. The only way around this I
>> can think of is to use Generator but I have no idea how to.
>
> A better way is to use a queue. I had the same problem with a similar
> piece of code. The only thing why you're using a stack is to move to
> the "next" point, without going back to a visited point.

Exactly - using a queue means you'll do a breadth-first rather than a
depth-first search, which will involve much less depth of recursion. See:

http://cs.colgate.edu/faculty/nevison.pub/web102/web102S00/Notes12.htm

For details.

An extended version of this exercise would be to implement an A* search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-star_search_algorithm

Which might be quicker than a blind breadth-first.

tom

--
Exceptions say, there was a problem. Someone must deal with it. If you
won't deal with it, I'll find someone who will.

Ian Vincent

Nov 10, 2005, 3:33:20 AM11/10/05
Tom Anderson <tw...@urchin.earth.li> wrote in

> Exactly - using a queue means you'll do a breadth-first rather than a
> depth-first search, which will involve much less depth of recursion.
> See:

Thanks for the answers but found a easier (admittedly cheating) way around
the problem....run the code on my 64bit Linux system at home.