Finally had to plonk google gorups.

Grant Edwards

Apr 16, 2008, 10:19:37 AM4/16/08
This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam. In order to try to
not tar both the benign google group users and the malignant
ones with the same brush, I've been trying to kill usenet spam
with subject patterns. But that's not a battle you can win, so
I broke down and joined all the other people that just killfile
everything posted via google.groups.

AFAICT, if you're a google groups user your posts are not being
seen by many/most experienced (read "non-google-group") users.
This is mainly the fault of google who has refused to do
anything to stem the flood of span that's being sent via Google
Groups.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I would like to
at urinate in an OVULAR,

Mike Driscoll

Apr 16, 2008, 10:26:18 AM4/16/08

Yeah, I noticed that Google Groups has really sucked this week. I'm
using the Google Groups Killfile for Greasemonkey now and it helps a
lot. I like Google, but my loyalty only goes to far. This is a
complete lack of customer service.

Mike

Steve Holden

Apr 16, 2008, 11:09:37 AM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
Unfortunately this means Google groups users are getting exactly the
service they are paying for.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Mike Kent

Apr 16, 2008, 11:14:24 AM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 10:26 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I noticed that Google Groups has really sucked this week. I'm
> using the Google Groups Killfile for Greasemonkey now and it helps a
> lot. I like Google, but my loyalty only goes to far. This is a
> complete lack of customer service.
>
> Mike

Bless you. I just installed Greasemonkey and the Google Groups
Killfile. Works like a charm.

Jon Ribbens

Apr 16, 2008, 11:19:20 AM4/16/08
On 2008-04-16, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:
> But that's not a battle you can win, so I broke down and joined all
> the other people that just killfile everything posted via google.groups.

I did the same about an hour ago.

Mike Driscoll

Apr 16, 2008, 11:23:50 AM4/16/08

Steve,

My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
either.

By applying this logic to Python and Linux (or any Open Source
product), they shouldn't be used either (since I'm not paying for
them).

Mike

Steve Holden

Apr 16, 2008, 12:06:09 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
I'm not saying people shouldn't use Google Groups. I'm saying that
Google can "justify" providing customer "support" that lives somewhere
between zero and extremely crappy by not charging for the service.

Without tunneling out to an NNTP proxy I don't see what other choice you
have.

Daniel Fetchinson

Apr 16, 2008, 12:11:09 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org

Mike, Steve did not say you (or anyone) should not use google groups.
He said you get what you paid for, which is certainly the case. Some
open source products are good and some are worse, that's all.

Full disclosure: I'm using google groups for both reading and writing.

Cheers,
Daniel

Michael Torrie

Apr 16, 2008, 12:12:20 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Steve,
>
> My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
> c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
> either.

I rarely use NNTP these days. I access c.l.py exclusively via e-mail,
and that works very well. In some cases there is a lot of spam that
gets filtered out of the nntp side, but makes it through to the smtp
side (like that religious spam a few months back). But I see absolutely
none of the google groups problems that Grant mentioned. I view my
python list mail in gmail, and get about 1-2 spam messages a day in the
python list.

This official python list is one of the few lists that's even still on
nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav, freeradius, etc)
are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works very well. In fact, I
think it's much better since list subscription can actually be
controlled by someone.

Torsten Bronger

Apr 16, 2008, 12:25:58 PM4/16/08
Hallöchen!

Michael Torrie writes:

> [...]

> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even
> still on nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav,
> freeradius, etc) are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works
> very well. In fact, I think it's much better since list
> subscription can actually be controlled by someone.

The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious. Fortunately,
most important computer-related lists are on gmane.org. We could
list c.l.py there, too. ;-)

Tschö,
Torsten.

Jabber ID: bro...@jabber.org
(See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)

Grant Edwards

Apr 16, 2008, 12:35:27 PM4/16/08
On 2008-04-16, Michael Torrie <tor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
>> c.l.py here.

Browse it via the mailing list using gmane.org. There are no
ads and your postings won't get plonked by everybody.

>> And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
>> either.
>
> I rarely use NNTP these days. I access c.l.py exclusively via
> e-mail, and that works very well. In some cases there is a
> lot of spam that gets filtered out of the nntp side, but makes
> it through to the smtp side (like that religious spam a few
> months back). But I see absolutely none of the google groups
> problems that Grant mentioned. I view my python list mail in
> gmail, and get about 1-2 spam messages a day in the python
> list.
>
> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even
> still on nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap,
> clamav, freeradius, etc) are all e-mail mailing lists only and
> it works very well. In fact, I think it's much better since
> list subscription can actually be controlled by someone.

Since gmane.org makes all the e-mail lists I care about
available via NNTP, I can still use a news client to read
"e-mail mailing lists only". I've always found that news
clients are much better at handling things like mailing lists
than e-mail clients.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Quick, sing me the
at BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

Michael Torrie

Apr 16, 2008, 12:39:16 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
Torsten Bronger wrote:
> The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious. Fortunately,
> most important computer-related lists are on gmane.org. We could
> list c.l.py there, too. ;-)

Running a few lists myself, I don't see this. How is administrative
overhead tedious? Most open source projects do it, so I wonder just how
tedious it is. Of all the projects I'm associated with in lists, Python
is the only one still clinging to NNTP when it appears a normal mail
list is just as good.

Torsten Bronger

Apr 16, 2008, 1:01:16 PM4/16/08
Hallöchen!

Michael Torrie writes:

Perish the thought that I ever have to go back to mailing lists
again! Finding the web page, entering name and email address and a
password, waiting for request for confirmation, sending out
confirmation, clicking away welcome message, setting filter in email
program, and doing the same for unsubscribing a few days later after
having found out that it's not so interesting after all. No.

Just going to the group list, search the group, pressing "U" -- and
getting all the postings of the past, too! And for unsubscribing,
press "U" again. No email address, no password, no filters, no
hassle. And spam is also very rare in my groups.

Steve Holden

Apr 16, 2008, 1:23:57 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
Torsten Bronger wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> Michael Torrie writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even
>> still on nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav,
>> freeradius, etc) are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works
>> very well. In fact, I think it's much better since list
>> subscription can actually be controlled by someone.
>
> The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious. Fortunately,
> most important computer-related lists are on gmane.org. We could
> list c.l.py there, too. ;-)

c.l.py has been on gmane for years, as comp.python.general (why they
have to have their own naming hierarchy i have never understood).

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

Apr 16, 2008, 1:40:32 PM4/16/08
to Mike Driscoll, pytho...@python.org
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Driscoll <kyos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
> c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
> either.

Hi Mike;

I am half way to killing Google groups myself. Your message, and
allother Google groups messages, is coloured so that I can evaluate how
much I will miss. So far it looks like it will make reading this group a
whole lot more pleasant and so I will probably kill them soon.

There are alternatives. I run an ISP <plug>http://www.Vex.Net/
</plug>that offers NNTP access to my shell users. You can also receive
this group as a mailing list which is how I read it. Google is not the
only option out there.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <da...@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves

Torsten Bronger

Apr 16, 2008, 1:45:31 PM4/16/08
Hallöchen!

Steve Holden writes:

> Torsten Bronger wrote:
>
>> [...]

>> The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious.
>> Fortunately, most important computer-related lists are on
>> gmane.org. We could list c.l.py there, too. ;-)
>
> c.l.py has been on gmane for years, as comp.python.general (why
> they have to have their own naming hierarchy i have never
> understood).

Oops, I overlooked this amongst all these interesting groups. ;-)

But I don't need it either. Apparently, it also depends on the NNTP
server admin team, and I have a very good one
(http://www.individual.net/). I also see spam, but not much (7
among the most recent 1000 postings on c.l.py).

Mensanator

Apr 16, 2008, 1:48:23 PM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 9:19 am, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:
> This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam.  In order to try to
> not tar both the benign google group users and the malignant
> ones with the same brush, I've been trying to kill usenet spam
> with subject patterns.  But that's not a battle you can win, so
> I broke down and joined all the other people that just killfile
> everything posted via google.groups.

Not very bright, eh?

> AFAICT, if you're a google groups user your posts are not being
> seen by many/most experienced (read "non-google-group") users.
> This is mainly the fault of google who has refused to do
> anything to stem the flood of span that's being sent via Google
> Groups.

Duh.

Mike Driscoll

Apr 16, 2008, 1:49:10 PM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 12:40 pm, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da...@druid.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
> > c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
> > either.
>
> Hi Mike;
>
> I am half way to killing Google groups myself. Your message, and
> allother Google groups messages, is coloured so that I can evaluate how
> much I will miss. So far it looks like it will make reading this group a
> whole lot more pleasant and so I will probably kill them soon.
>
> There are alternatives. I run an ISP <plug>http://www.Vex.Net/
> </plug>that offers NNTP access to my shell users. You can also receive
> this group as a mailing list which is how I read it. Google is not the
> only option out there.
>
> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <da...@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolveshttp://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on

> +1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner.

I don't think I like the email list idea all that much. I'm already on
a number of them and they fill up my box like crazy. Besides that, in
email format it's hard to follow the thread, so one moment I'm reading
about the latest ding dong and the next is a response to a post from
last week.

But I agree...there are other alternatives. I'll have to start trying
them again I suppose.

Mike

Mike Driscoll

Apr 16, 2008, 1:50:09 PM4/16/08

OK. The way it was written + the mood I was in made me misinterpret
your meaning. I apologize.

Mike

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

Apr 16, 2008, 1:57:24 PM4/16/08
to Daniel Fetchinson, pytho...@python.org
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:11:09 -0700
"Daniel Fetchinson" <fetch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Full disclosure: I'm using google groups for both reading and writing.

You are? I guess I don't have my filter set correctly then. Can
someone please tell me what headers indicate that it is a Google groups
posting. I thought that all postings from Google groups had an

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

Apr 16, 2008, 2:03:51 PM4/16/08
to Michael Torrie, pytho...@python.org
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:39:16 -0600
Michael Torrie <tor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Running a few lists myself, I don't see this. How is administrative
> overhead tedious? Most open source projects do it, so I wonder just how
> tedious it is. Of all the projects I'm associated with in lists, Python
> is the only one still clinging to NNTP when it appears a normal mail
> list is just as good.

Especially given that Mailman, a Python program, can handle all the
heavy lifting anyway.

Torsten Bronger

Apr 16, 2008, 2:05:57 PM4/16/08
Hallöchen!

D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:11:09 -0700
> "Daniel Fetchinson" <fetch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Full disclosure: I'm using google groups for both reading and
>> writing.
>
> You are?

Maybe, but not with this posting. It was sent through the mailing
list.

By the way, the "References:" header seems to get lost sometimes
through the mailing list when reading it as a Usenet group, so that
the discussion trees become a mess.

Dan Upton

Apr 16, 2008, 2:10:28 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org

Maybe a thread bashing google "gorups" is a bad place to make this
comment, but Gmail organizes the threads so it's easy to follow
threads in mailing list conversations. (And I see you're posting from
a gmail address, so...) Thunderbird is capable of grouping mailing
list messages by thread too, and I can only assume Outlook Express is
as well.

The recent deluge of spam has gone straight to my junk mail box, and
Gmail's spam filter only incorrectly flags as spam about one
python-list message per week--maybe instead of ignoring all posts from
Google users, you just need a better spam filter.

J. Cliff Dyer

Apr 16, 2008, 2:18:00 PM4/16/08
to Steve Holden, pytho...@python.org
> I'm not saying people shouldn't use Google Groups. I'm saying that
> Google can "justify" providing customer "support" that lives somewhere
> between zero and extremely crappy by not charging for the service.
>
> Without tunneling out to an NNTP proxy I don't see what other choice you
> have.
>
> regards
> Steve

You could subscribe via email, and keep your own archive. If you use an
email client with decent adaptive spam filter (i.e. not outlook), you
won't even notice the spam floating by.

It worked like a charm for me until I switched to digest view :)

--
Oook,
J. Cliff Dyer

Grant Edwards

Apr 16, 2008, 2:26:20 PM4/16/08
On 2008-04-16, Mensanator <mensa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 9:19 am, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:
>> This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam.  In order to try
>> to not tar both the benign google group users and the
>> malignant ones with the same brush, I've been trying to kill
>> usenet spam with subject patterns.  But that's not a battle
>> you can win, so I broke down and joined all the other people
>> that just killfile everything posted via google.groups.
>
> Not very bright, eh?
>
>> AFAICT, if you're a google groups user your posts are not being
>> seen by many/most experienced (read "non-google-group") users.
>> This is mainly the fault of google who has refused to do
>> anything to stem the flood of span that's being sent via Google
>> Groups.
>
> Duh.

My. That was certainly a well-reasoned and well-written
response.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hey, waiter! I want
at a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL

J. Cliff Dyer

Apr 16, 2008, 2:27:26 PM4/16/08
to Mike Driscoll, pytho...@python.org

In any email client worth its salt, you can set up rules for
automatically moving new messages to different folders by matching
various criteria.

In Evolution this is as easy as right clicking on a message from the
list in your inbox, select "Create Rule From Message > Filter on Mailing
List", and then choose a folder to redirect to.

Reading by thread instead of by date is as easy as Ctrl-T on your inbox.

It isn't much different in Thunderbird.

> But I agree...there are other alternatives. I'll have to start trying
> them again I suppose.
>
> Mike

lbon...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2008, 2:28:33 PM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 11:06 am, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> I'm not saying people shouldn't use Google Groups. I'm saying that
> Google can "justify" providing customer "support" that lives somewhere
> between zero and extremely crappy by not charging for the service.

It's even worse than that. Click on one of these spam links and
you'll see Google ads. Why would Google have any motivation to stop
selling ads?

Severian

Apr 16, 2008, 2:43:24 PM4/16/08
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-04-16, Mensanator <mensa...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 9:19 am, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:
>>> This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam. In order to try
>>> to not tar both the benign google group users and the
>>> malignant ones with the same brush, I've been trying to kill
>>> usenet spam with subject patterns. But that's not a battle
>>> you can win, so I broke down and joined all the other people
>>> that just killfile everything posted via google.groups.
>> Not very bright, eh?
>>
>>> AFAICT, if you're a google groups user your posts are not being
>>> seen by many/most experienced (read "non-google-group") users.
>>> This is mainly the fault of google who has refused to do
>>> anything to stem the flood of span that's being sent via Google
>>> Groups.
>> Duh.
>
> My. That was certainly a well-reasoned and well-written
> response.

Well, it did come from an AOL user posting from Google groups <g>.

Mensanator

Apr 16, 2008, 3:59:47 PM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 1:43 pm, Severian <sever...@severian.org> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

Hey, he wasn't supposed to see that! He's plonked Google Groups,
hasn't he?

Looks like you'll have to reconsider how well-reasoned
AOL users are. Who use Google because AOL terminated their
news service - because of Google. Smart move, eh?

Michael Torrie

Apr 16, 2008, 4:24:52 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Mike Driscoll <kyos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think I like the email list idea all that much. I'm already on
> a number of them and they fill up my box like crazy. Besides that, in
> email format it's hard to follow the thread, so one moment I'm reading
> about the latest ding dong and the next is a response to a post from
> last week.

Using a good client like Thunderbird, and e-mails thread just fine.
Nesting as deep as need be. On my client (I use thunderbird for
everything), it looks the same whether I use NNTP or mailing lists.
It's all good.

As for filling up your inbox, that never happens to me. My inbox gets
maybe 1 new message a day. Everything else is automatically filed
into the right folder, just like how NNTP shows you individual groups.
Gmail makes this very easy to do with their filters. For others
there is procmail. Honestly a few minutes of work is very much worth
it. For those that want to keep using nntp and put up with the spam
(no server-side spam processing there), that's great, though.

Finally as for threading being difficult, yes it is if you use GMail's
web client. "Conversations" are *not* threads, sadly. It's a broken
interface that's becoming popular unfortunately. I've always hated
web forums for the same reasons. Conversations also don't deal very
well with changes in the subject line that reflect new directions or
forks in the current topic.

> But I agree...there are other alternatives. I'll have to start trying
> them again I suppose.

If I have to, I guess. :)

Ben Finney

Apr 16, 2008, 6:18:48 PM4/16/08
Michael Torrie <tor...@gmail.com> writes:

> I rarely use NNTP these days. I access c.l.py exclusively via e-mail,
> and that works very well.

I rarely use email for technical mailing lists these days. I access
such forums exclusively via NNTP <URL:nntp://news.gmane.org>, and that
works very well.

> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even still on

> nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav, freeradius, etc)
> are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works very well. In fact, I
> think it's much better since list subscription can actually be
> controlled by someone.

Most technical mailing lists are accessible via NNTP on gmane.org. It
works very well.

Other discussion groups remain on Usenet, accessible via NNTP from
servers around the world that mirror each group. In fact, I think it's
much better since I can use any one of those servers, and the content
isn't locked up in one specific server.

--
\ "I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono |
`\ album; no rhyme or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and |

Kam-Hung Soh

Apr 16, 2008, 8:08:53 PM4/16/08
On Apr 17, 1:14 am, Mike Kent <mrmak...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 10:26 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I noticed that Google Groups has really sucked this week. I'm
> > using the Google Groups Killfile for Greasemonkey now and it helps a
> > lot. I like Google, but my loyalty only goes to far. This is a
> > complete lack of customer service.
>
> > Mike
>
> Bless you. I just installed Greasemonkey and the Google Groups
> Killfile. Works like a charm.

I manually edit the REs in the GGK's kill file variable (use Firefox
about:config and filter for "kill") and enable case-insensitive search
(open the script, search for "compile()" and add a second parameter
"i").

(Posted via GG, but I'm open to an alternative web-based Usenet
service.)

--
Kam-Hung Soh <a href="http://kamhungsoh.com/blog">Software Salariman</
a>

Steve Holden

Apr 16, 2008, 8:08:44 PM4/16/08
to pytho...@python.org
Ben Finney wrote:
> Michael Torrie <tor...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I rarely use NNTP these days. I access c.l.py exclusively via e-mail,
>> and that works very well.
>
> I rarely use email for technical mailing lists these days. I access
> such forums exclusively via NNTP <URL:nntp://news.gmane.org>, and that
> works very well.
>
>> This official python list is one of the few lists that's even still on
>> nntp. All my other ones (gnome, gtk, openldap, clamav, freeradius, etc)
>> are all e-mail mailing lists only and it works very well. In fact, I
>> think it's much better since list subscription can actually be
>> controlled by someone.
>
> Most technical mailing lists are accessible via NNTP on gmane.org. It
> works very well.
>
> Other discussion groups remain on Usenet, accessible via NNTP from
> servers around the world that mirror each group. In fact, I think it's
> much better since I can use any one of those servers, and the content
> isn't locked up in one specific server.

The duff thung about mailing lists is the way they fill your mailbox up
when you don't have time for them. Hundreds of unread messages all
screaming for your attention.

When c.l.py drops too far down the priority list I just stop reading it.
Messages float by, expire and drop off the list without any action
from me.

John Salerno

Apr 16, 2008, 10:58:49 PM4/16/08
Grant Edwards wrote:
> This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam. In order to try to
> not tar both the benign google group users and the malignant
> ones with the same brush, I've been trying to kill usenet spam
> with subject patterns. But that's not a battle you can win, so
> I broke down and joined all the other people that just killfile
> everything posted via google.groups.
>
> AFAICT, if you're a google groups user your posts are not being
> seen by many/most experienced (read "non-google-group") users.
> This is mainly the fault of google who has refused to do
> anything to stem the flood of span that's being sent via Google
> Groups.

How exactly do you killfile an entire source like that? Is it possible
with Thunderbird?

Message has been deleted

Grant Edwards

Apr 17, 2008, 9:52:37 AM4/17/08

I use slrn, so I put this in my .score file:

Score:: = -9999

> Is it possible with Thunderbird?

I've no idea.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! UH-OH!! I put on
at "GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN

Grant Edwards

Apr 17, 2008, 9:55:05 AM4/17/08
On 2008-04-17, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:19:37 -0500, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com>

>> I broke down and joined all the other people that just killfile
>> everything posted via google.groups.
>
> Unfortunately, that is the one weak point in Agent... Usenet
> kill filters only take subject or author fields...

Sound like a good reason to hack on Agent so that you can kill
based on any header you want.

> I suspect they try to apply them when fetching headers before
> downloading the messages and don't have other fields
> available...
>
> So... given the recent batch... My next best was to kill on
> @gmail...

That's the one big reason I've not switched over to using my
gmail address. I'm thinking I should register my own domain
and have it forward to my gmail address. That way I get all
the free storage (and web access) on gmail's imap server
without the stigma of using a gmail.com address.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I joined scientology
at at a garage sale!!

Michael Torrie

Apr 17, 2008, 7:47:14 PM4/17/08
Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I'm confused. First you say Gmail is create for filtering and then you
> say it has a broken interface. I like Gmail for some things, but my
> inability to create folders is one thing that really bugs me. I can
> set up Thunderbird to accept mail from Gmail and do it that way
> though. I assume when you say that you only get 1 email in your inbox,
> you mean one "errant" email and the rest get filtered to your other
> folders, correct?

Gmail is perfectly capable of being used by traditional e-mail clients
like Thunderbird via IMAP. When this is done, I see mail in folders and
threads. The filtering itself is done by the gmail server. You do have
to use the web interface to set up the filtering, but once that is done
Thunderbird works fabulously.

The Gmail webmail interface displays threads in a fundamentally broken
way, though.

> Thanks for the response. It's always interesting to see how others
> have dealt with the issue.
>
> Mike

Gabriel Genellina

Apr 20, 2008, 4:11:45 AM4/20/08
to pytho...@python.org
En Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:23:57 -0300, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> escribió:
> Torsten Bronger wrote:

>> The admistrative overhead of mailing lists is tedious. Fortunately,
>> most important computer-related lists are on gmane.org. We could
>> list c.l.py there, too. ;-)
>>
> c.l.py has been on gmane for years, as comp.python.general (why they
> have to have their own naming hierarchy i have never understood).

Because "someone" chose that name when he/she asked for the list to be added; the name gmane.comp.lang.python *could* have been used, but wasn't.
(gmane uses its own hierarchy because not all mirrored lists exist as a newsgroup outside gmane, and there are potential name conflicts)

--
Gabriel Genellina

Terry Reedy

Apr 20, 2008, 1:40:57 PM4/20/08
to pytho...@python.org

"Gabriel Genellina" <gags...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote in message

Aahz

Apr 20, 2008, 10:47:35 PM4/20/08
In article <739039ff-10f6-4369...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>,

Mike Driscoll <kyos...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
>c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
>either.

Can you use ssh? Get a shell account somewhere else.
--
Aahz (aa...@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

--Bill Harlan

Aahz

Apr 20, 2008, 10:50:25 PM4/20/08
In article <IJ6dnQ-yor5kl5vVnZ2dnUVZ_oaonZ2d@visi>,

Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:

>This morning almost half of c.l.p was spam. In order to try to not tar
>both the benign google group users and the malignant ones with the same
>brush, I've been trying to kill usenet spam with subject patterns. But
>that's not a battle you can win, so I broke down and joined all the

>other people that just killfile everything posted via google.groups.

For some reason, I don't see that much. Maybe it's because my ISP still
honors cancels. ;-)

NickC

Apr 21, 2008, 8:51:40 AM4/21/08
Hmm, according to this thread I probably shouldn't bother even trying
to contribute to c.l.p discussions that are highlighted in the Python-
URL announcements, even in cases where I think a core developer's
perspective may be of interest. As someone that only posts here
rarely, and uses Google Groups with a Gmail address to do so, it
sounds like I'll be kill-filed by a lot of people regardless of the
contents of what I post.

*shrug* Ah well, such is life.

Cheers,
Nick.

Torsten Bronger

Apr 21, 2008, 9:21:36 AM4/21/08
Hallöchen!

NickC writes:

I don't think that their fraction is significant. Be that as it
may, I'm not one of those who accept high amounts of false positives
in their anti-spam strategy.

Michael Torrie

May 2, 2008, 10:53:56 AM5/2/08
to pytho...@python.org
Shawn Milochik wrote:
> How does one "plonk" stuff from Google Groups? Specifically, how
> can this be done in Gmail?

Set up a filter that looks for some phrase in the mail headers that
identifies messages originating from google groups. Gmail's filters are
fairly flexible. I'd probably just have it look for certain words.
Look at an e-mail's source (raw view) and particularly check in the
headers for things to filter by.

Mensanator

May 2, 2008, 1:18:20 PM5/2/08

Why don't you just block all messages from Gmail?

Michael Torrie

May 2, 2008, 2:20:22 PM5/2/08
to pytho...@python.org

Brilliant! Seeing as he's asking about doing the filtering in Gmail
(implying it's use for his own posting and viewing the list) that would
work splendidly for him! Or not.

Of course you're not likely to see this message either since I and many
folks on here post from gmail.

Spam comes mainly from Google Groups, not as much from Gmail in my
experience.

Mensanator

May 2, 2008, 3:04:54 PM5/2/08

I didn't say it was POSTED from gmail, but the spammers often have
gmail addresses, to wit:

age of empires 3 crack serial 1 soray6034...@gmail.com (1
author) Apr 30
microsoft office word 2007 keygen download 1
soray6034...@gmail.com (1 author) Apr 30
ulead video studio 8 serial crack 1 soray6034...@gmail.com (1
author) Apr 30
daylight savings time patch 1 soray6034...@gmail.com (1 author)
Apr 30
the sims 2 crack 1 soray6034...@gmail.com (1 author) Apr 30
fifa manager 08 crack 1 meisnernel73...@gmail.com (1 author)
Apr 30
autocad 2005 cracks and cheats 1 meisnernel73...@gmail.com (1
author) Apr 30
rar password crack 2 meisnernel73...@gmail.com (1 author) Apr
30
crack rock cooking 1 meisnernel73...@gmail.com (1 author) Apr
30
vws crack 2 meisnernel73...@gmail.com (1 author) Apr 30

Why aren't you blaming gmail for it's contribution to the problem?

Arnaud Delobelle

May 2, 2008, 3:26:55 PM5/2/08
Mensanator <mensa...@aol.com> writes:

> On May 2, 1:20 pm, Michael Torrie <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mensanator wrote:
>>
>> > Why don't you just block all messages from Gmail?
>>
>> Brilliant!  Seeing as he's asking about doing the filtering in Gmail
>> (implying it's use for his own posting and viewing the list) that would
>> work splendidly for him!  Or not.
>>
>> Of course you're not likely to see this message either since I and many
>> folks on here post from gmail.
>>
>> Spam comes mainly from Google Groups, not as much from Gmail in my
>> experience.
>
> I didn't say it was POSTED from gmail, but the spammers often have
> gmail addresses, to wit:

You're confusing gmail addresses and Google Groups
(groups.google.com), which can be used as a web interface to usenet
and mailing lists. Look at the 'Organisation' header of the messages
you quote.

It seems most of the spam on comp.lang.python is posted from Google
Groups, *including* the one with a 'From' header which is not a gmail
address.

So it would be more efficient to block messages posted from Google
Groups than the ones from gmail addresses.

--
Arnaud

George Sakkis

May 2, 2008, 3:57:44 PM5/2/08

Look up the term "false positive" before you make such brilliant
suggestions in the future.

Posting-from-google-groups-ly yrs,

George

Mensanator

May 2, 2008, 4:47:39 PM5/2/08
On May 2, 2:26 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <arno...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Mensanator <mensana...@aol.com> writes:

> >> Brilliant!  Seeing as he's asking about doing the filtering in Gmail
> >> (implying it's use for his own posting and viewing the list) that would
> >> work splendidly for him!  Or not.
>
> >> Of course you're not likely to see this message either since I and many
> >> folks on here post from gmail.
>
> >> Spam comes mainly from Google Groups, not as much from Gmail in my
> >> experience.
>
> > I didn't say it was POSTED from gmail, but the spammers often have
> > gmail addresses, to wit:
>
> You're confusing gmail addresses and Google Groups
> (groups.google.com),

No, I'm not.

> which can be used as a web interface to usenet
> and mailing lists.

Read again what I wrote.

> Look at the 'Organisation' header of the messages
> you quote.
>
> It seems most of the spam on comp.lang.python is posted from Google
> Groups, *including* the one with a 'From' header which is not a gmail
> address.

To post from Google Groups, don't you need a legitimate e-mail
address?

Why does Gmail allow spammers to have e-mail accounts?

They are as much to blame as Google Groups.

> So it would be more efficient

And thus, stupid.

> to block messages posted from Google
> Groups than the ones from gmail addresses.
>
> --

> Arnaud- Hide quoted text -

Mensanator

May 2, 2008, 4:49:25 PM5/2/08

_I_ understand it. Perhaps you should give this advice to the
ones who suggest blocking Google Groups.

> Posting-from-google-groups-ly yrs,
>
> George

George Sakkis

May 3, 2008, 2:14:12 AM5/3/08

My apologies if you were just being ironic, I took it as a serious
suggestion.

George