Best programs written completly in Python

Franz Steinhäusler

Aug 5, 2007, 6:14:38 AM8/5/07
Hello NG,

wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
in pyhton, divided into categories like:
a) Games
b) Utilities/System
c) Office
d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

I don't want to start a long thread, if a site of such
an discussion already exists, a link will be enough.

Many thanks in advance!

--
Franz Steinhaeusler

O.R.Senthil Kumaran

Aug 5, 2007, 7:20:06 AM8/5/07
to Franz Steinh?usler, pytho...@python.org
* Franz Steinh?usler <franz.ste...@gmx.at> [2007-08-05 12:14:38]:

> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

Its a difficult question to answer as the software are aplenty and there is no
judgement basis as this one is the best.

Head on to www.python.org and see for yourself for programs under each
category.

And moreover, "written entirely in python" is a constrain to find the
programs. Why do you need such a list for?

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran
http://uthcode.sarovar.org

BJörn Lindqvist

Aug 5, 2007, 7:33:33 AM8/5/07
to Franz Steinhäusler, pytho...@python.org
On 8/5/07, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.ste...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello NG,
>
> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

For b; trac: http://trac.edgewall.org/ There actually isn't that many
widespread programs written in Python.

--
mvh Björn

Campbell Barton

Aug 5, 2007, 7:31:23 AM8/5/07
to orse...@users.sourceforge.net, pytho...@python.org, Franz Steinh?usler
O.R.Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> * Franz Steinh?usler <franz.ste...@gmx.at> [2007-08-05 12:14:38]:
>
>> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
>> a) Games
>> b) Utilities/System
>> c) Office
>> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>
> Its a difficult question to answer as the software are aplenty and there is no
> judgement basis as this one is the best.
>
> Head on to www.python.org and see for yourself for programs under each
> category.
>
> And moreover, "written entirely in python" is a constrain to find the
> programs. Why do you need such a list for?

Of course this is totally objective, but that dosnt mean its not a valid
question.

If you were starting out a project were thinking of writing it in
python, you might want to look at whats out there - maybe python has
limitations which stops it being a good choice in some situations (for
instance?)- on the other hand you might want to see some shining
examples that prove the capabilities of python ;)

'Being written entirely in python' - is a bit tricky, often these
applications rely on some specific extension or make heavy use of a
backend that dosnt come with python (like pygame, pygtk, or py-gstreamer).

Games - See Pygame http://www.pygame.org/projects/6

Utilities/System

* meld is a really nice diffing tool for linux - http://meld.sourceforge.net
* ubuntu have some of their install tools in python.
* txt2tags - a great markup language for doc writing. -
http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/
* sound recording/editing - http://www.jokosher.org

Office?? - no idea, openoffice can be scripted in python.

Web - * isnt bit torrent python?, probably lots of stuff but I dont know
of them ;)

Franz Steinhäusler

Aug 5, 2007, 8:44:55 AM8/5/07
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:14:38 +0200, Franz Steinhäusler
<franz.ste...@gmx.at> wrote:

>Hello NG,
>
>wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>in pyhton, divided into categories like:

Many thanks,

The restriction, I want, is to comply the programs written in pygame,
pygtk, wxPython, tkinter or console programs.

There are really "high sophisticated" programs, if you don't mind my
naming it so, as:

XPN newsreader, Boa Constructor, many pygame programs,
gtkrawgallery, cornice graphics viewer, ...

I'm only interested to have a list, or even help to
extend an existing one.

On wxPython, there also exist such a list:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPythonPit_Apps
--
Franz Steinhaeusler

Arnau Sanchez

Aug 5, 2007, 9:02:50 AM8/5/07
to pytho...@python.org
> On Jul 30, 5:48 pm, beginner <zyzhu2... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> def f(n):
>> l=[]
>> while n>0:
>> l.append(n%26)
>> n /=26
>> return l
>>
>> I am wondering what is the 'functional' way to do the same.
>>

> I see. It is interesting (and not surprisingly) that recursion or
> yield are required. Thanks for everyone's help.

Why not use both recursion and generators?

def f2(n):
if n > 0:
n2, x = divmod(n, 26)
yield x
for next in f2(n2):
yield next

Could this be considered functional?

Anyway, I wonder if there is a more elegant way to do the "yield x... yield
next" part. Any ideas?

arnau

David Boddie

Aug 5, 2007, 9:35:53 AM8/5/07
to pytho...@python.org
On Sun Aug 5 14:44:55 CEST 2007, Franz Steinhäusler wrote:

> I'm only interested to have a list, or even help to
> extend an existing one.

If the main criterion is that the programs are written in Python then
surely the PythonInfo Wiki is the place for such a list:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications

May I suggest that you extend this one?

David

Franz Steinhäusler

Aug 5, 2007, 11:03:01 AM8/5/07
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:35:53 +0200, David Boddie <da...@boddie.org.uk>
wrote:

David, thank you very much, perfect! :)
--
Franz Steinhaeusler

Franz Steinhäusler

Aug 5, 2007, 11:14:13 AM8/5/07

Thank you for that interesting applications.
They are surely interesting as example of learning pyhton
and convince some people to choose/switch to pyhton.

>Office?? - no idea, openoffice can be scripted in python.
>
>Web - * isnt bit torrent python?, probably lots of stuff but I dont know
>of them ;)

That purpose also a good list could fulfill, to show the capabilities
of pyhton not only on a theoretical way of showing sample code.

--
Franz Steinhaeusler

Evan Klitzke

Aug 5, 2007, 1:33:22 PM8/5/07
to Franz Steinhäusler, pytho...@python.org
On 8/5/07, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.ste...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello NG,
>
> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

I might be a little biased, but surely Yelp.com is the best "program"
written entirely in Python ;-)

Other really cool Python projects are Launchpad
(https://launchpad.net/) and Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/). And of
course most Linux desktop distributions (especially Ubuntu and
Redhat/Fedora) have a huge number of small components that rely on
Python entirely or to put together the frontend. Great examples of
this are Bazaar VCS and the Anaconda installer.

The Twisted project isn't a program per se, but it's written in Python
and is really incredible as well.

Google's Mondrian code review system is written in Python and looks
really amazing. I just wish I could try it out :-)

--
Evan Klitzke <ev...@yelp.com>

markacy

Aug 5, 2007, 2:26:13 PM8/5/07
On 5 Sie, 12:14, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
wrote:

I guess, that gentoo's portage is (almost?) entirely written in
python. The same is with Zope/Plone (Web category), though I know,
that Zope has some parts of code written in C. Django?

Big part's of google "tools" are written in python as well. Matplotlib
is said to be written entirely in python.
These are examples from the top of my head. If I'll came up with
something else, I will let You know :-)

Cheers,
Marek

Franz Steinhäusler

Aug 5, 2007, 4:52:22 PM8/5/07

Ah yes of course,

One or I, often see only programs, which is "closed in itself",
like an editor, viewer, newsreader, and oversee, that big parts
of "invisible" software is written in python.

Thank you for mentioning that pieces of software!

--
Franz Steinhaeusler

Bruno Desthuilliers

Aug 6, 2007, 3:58:04 AM8/6/07
markacy a écrit :

> On 5 Sie, 12:14, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
> wrote:
>> Hello NG,
>>
>> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
>> a) Games
>> b) Utilities/System
>> c) Office
>> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>>
>> I don't want to start a long thread, if a site of such
>> an discussion already exists, a link will be enough.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> Franz Steinhaeusler
>
> I guess, that gentoo's portage is (almost?) entirely written in
> python.

IIRC, yes (or perahps does it use a couple bash scripts too).

> The same is with Zope/Plone

"Zope/Plone" makes two distinct applications : the web application
server Zope, and the CMS Plone.

> (Web category), though I know,
> that Zope has some parts of code written in C.

Yes. Mostly for low-level parts that couldn't be done in pure Python, at
least by the time they were written.

> Django?

Then mention CherryPy, Turbogears and Pylons (and *quite* a lot of web
frameworks FWIW) too !-)

Oh, and yes, there's Twisted too...

Ant

Aug 6, 2007, 5:01:32 AM8/6/07
On Aug 5, 12:31 pm, Campbell Barton <cbar...@metavr.com> wrote:

> * ubuntu have some of their install tools in python.

Gentoo Linux's "Portage" package management tool is written in Python.

--
Ant...

http://antroy.blogspot.com/

Wolfgang Draxinger

Aug 6, 2007, 7:27:10 AM8/6/07
Franz Steinhäusler wrote:

> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

BitTorrent. It may not seem much but it's a really cool package.
Especially you don't have to use the standard frontends, but can
also use BitTorrent modules in your own Python programs.

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexa...@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

Paul Rubin

Aug 6, 2007, 7:34:35 AM8/6/07
Franz Steinhäusler <franz.ste...@gmx.at> writes:
> b) Utilities/System

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned mercurial in this thread.
It's a distributed source control system, sort of the next generation
after systems like CVS/SVN. See www.selenic.com/mercurial

> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

Mailman (mailing list manager)? I tend to use emacs for all the
client side stuff.

Sönmez Kartal

Aug 6, 2007, 7:42:08 AM8/6/07
On 5 A ustos, 13:14, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
wrote:

Well, I don't want to make an advertisement but Pardus project's (a
GNU/Linux distro) specific projects are completely written in Python.
You can check it out at http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html

Skip Montanaro

Aug 14, 2007, 6:46:55 AM8/14/07
On Aug 5, 5:14 am, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
wrote:

> Hello NG,
>
> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser

Not mentioned so far, here or on the Applications wiki page, is
SpamBayes,
an excellent spam filter: <http://www.spambayes.org/>. It supports
POP3 and
IMAP, and has a plugin for Outlook. Another group has improved
SpamBayes
integration with Thunderbird by developing a TBird extension called
ThunderBayes.

Skip

zub...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 1:23:39 AM2/12/16
ankiweb.net + ankisrs.net = amazing!

wxjm...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 5:49:55 AM2/12/16
The most fascinating Python application is probably
the interactive interpreter of the www.python.org main
page.

*** It just does not work. ***

menti...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 9:00:03 AM2/12/16
On Sunday, August 5, 2007 at 3:14:38 AM UTC-7, Franz Steinhäusler wrote:
> Hello NG,
>
> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
> in pyhton, divided into categories like:

Maybe such a list of categories should include
a) Artificial Intelligence

> a) Games
> b) Utilities/System
> c) Office
> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>
> I don't want to start a long thread, if a site of such
> an discussion already exists, a link will be enough.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Franz Steinhaeusler

A winner-take-all genuine "killer app" for Python
would be a port of the webserver "Ghost" Strong AI
artificial intelligence being ported from Forth first
into Perl5 and then the newly released Perl6. See

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=307824.307853 on Mind.Forth AI;

http://aihub.net/artificial-intelligence-lab-projects

http://ai.neocities.org/perlmind.txt -- Download URL;

http://ai.neocities.org/P6AI_FAQ.html -- Frequently Asked Questions;

http://ai.neocities.org/P6AI_man.html -- Perl6 AI User Manual;

http://ai.neocities.org/PMPJ.html -- Perl Mind Programming Journal;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKJY1WY shows how the Perl AI reasons.

May the best programming language win on the way to the Singularity!

Respectfully submitted

AiHasBeenSolved