source reduction using Python

beli...@aol.com

Jun 21, 2006, 6:59:52 PM6/21/06
Intel has introduced something called CESR, written in Python, to aid
C, C++, and Fortran programmers in reducing the sizes of programs
included in bug reports. Here is a brief description from
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219320_relnotes_10.pdf :

"Compiler Error Source Reducer (CESR) is a set of utilities which are
useful individually
or collectively in gathering, reducing, pinpointing, protecting,
documenting, and
bundling test cases comprised of C/C++ or Fortran source code. It can
be helpful if
you have a large application for which you want to extract a small test
case for
submission to Intel® Premier Support. CESR can be downloaded from
Intel® Premier
Support File Downloads - search for text CESR in the file description.
CESR is
unsupported and should be considered experimental, but we welcome your
feedback
on it through Intel® Premier Support. CESR requires prior installation
of Python 2.2 or
newer."

I think one needs to qualify for "Intel Premier Support" to get CESR. I
wonder if a similar open-source Python program exists.

Roger Miller

Jun 22, 2006, 3:59:06 PM6/22/06
beli...@aol.com wrote:
> Intel has introduced something called CESR, written in Python, to aid
> C, C++, and Fortran programmers in reducing the sizes of programs
> included in bug reports. Here is a brief description from
> http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219320_relnotes_10.pdf :

> I think one needs to qualify for "Intel Premier Support" to get CESR. I
> wonder if a similar open-source Python program exists.

I can't answer your question, but if you are searching it may be
helpful to know that the relevant phrase is probably "program slicing".