on PySol's popularity

1 view

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

Dec 19, 2006, 7:31:27 AM12/19/06
to pytho...@python.org
Hi,
On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
the most common Python application. Is this a platform-specific fact?

Fredrik Lundh

Dec 19, 2006, 7:56:30 AM12/19/06
to pytho...@python.org
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
> the most common Python application.

not really; that page says that installing PySol is a common way to get
a Python installation installed without noticing, not that PySol is in
itself the most common Python application.

and the entire python.org FAQ is horribly outdated. we're working on a
replacement, which is currently hosted here:

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

</F>

Harry George

Dec 19, 2006, 3:15:04 AM12/19/06
Fredrik Lundh <fre...@pythonware.com> writes:

A plug for PySol.

My wife is totally non-techno. She doesn't "get" the notions of
windows, or minimize/maximize, or clicking on the icon down on the
toolbar. But she does get PySol. When I recently upgraded, I had to
reinstall Python2.2 in order to use the old PySol binaries (couldn't
get the build-from-source to work).

Linux and Python got a fan due to PySol. It should be considered a
cultural treasure, and if a bit of funding would help keep it rolling
into the future, that might be worthwhile.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture

sk...@pobox.com

Dec 19, 2006, 1:12:42 PM12/19/06
to Harry George, pytho...@python.org

Harry> A plug for PySol.

Harry> My wife is totally non-techno. She doesn't "get" the notions of
Harry> windows, or minimize/maximize, or clicking on the icon down on
Harry> the toolbar.

My wife appears to be only slightly less non-techno than yours. Aside from
mail and web browsing, PySol is her number one application.

Harry> [PySol] should be considered a cultural treasure, and if a bit of
Harry> funding would help keep it rolling into the future, that might be
Harry> worthwhile.

Agreed, and +1 QOTW.

Skip