Open source python projects

saurabh

Jun 22, 2009, 3:40:03 PM6/22/09
Hi There,
I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

Please give me any pointers to some python project which needs a
contributor.

Thanks
Saurabh

Giampaolo Rodola'

Jun 22, 2009, 4:49:17 PM6/22/09

If you have experience in C system programming then you could help us
with psutil:
http://code.google.com/p/psutil

You might want to take a look at our Milestone wiki which lists some
features we would like to implement:
http://code.google.com/p/psutil/wiki/Milestones

The platforms we aim to support are: Linux, OS X, Windows and FreeBSD.
If you're interested feel free to contact me at [g.rodola -AT- gmail -
DOT- com] or use the psutil mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/psutil

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib
http://code.google.com/p/psutil

sk...@pobox.com

Jun 22, 2009, 7:09:06 PM6/22/09
to saurabh, pytho...@python.org

Saurabh> I am looking for some open source python project preferably in
Saurabh> one of the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to
Saurabh> contribute.

If you have some Windows programming experience the SpamBayes project
(http://www.spambayes.org/) could use some assistance. We have been held up
because our existing Windows experts have been too busy to contribute much
for a couple years.

--
Skip Montanaro - sk...@pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/
when i wake up with a heart rate below 40, i head right for the espresso

pyt...@bdurham.com

Jun 22, 2009, 7:18:38 PM6/22/09
to pytho...@python.org
Saurabh,

1. The Dabo crew is doing some exciting thing. Might be worth checking
out.
http://dabodev.com

2. The Py2exe project is also looking for help (and some C experience
would be beneficial to this project).
http://py2exe.org

3. There's a bunch of encryption code floating around in native Python
that would benefit from being recoded as native C modules.

Welcome!

Malcolm

Pegasus

Jun 22, 2009, 7:29:24 PM6/22/09
ndPython for Nanodesktop

http://www.psp-ita.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28323

It shall be the most advanced, professional, reliable
Python interpreter for Playstation Portable but
there is actually a lack of performance and we are
working to identify the origin of the problem.

We need help.

Alan G Isaac

Jun 22, 2009, 7:35:20 PM6/22/09
On 6/22/2009 3:40 PM saurabh apparently wrote:
> I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
> I have developed an instant love for it.
> I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
> have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.
>
> I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
> the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

A one off project ...

If you can help figure out how to produce a Windows installer
of SimpleParse for Python 2.6 and post your experience here,
I believe quite a few projects would profit, not to mention
the SimpleParse users themselves.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

John Fabiani

Jun 22, 2009, 10:56:54 PM6/22/09
pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:

> Saurabh,
>
> 1. The Dabo crew is doing some exciting thing. Might be worth checking
> out.
> http://dabodev.com

yes Dabo is doing a lot these days. Using wxPython for the GUI, a fast
interface for data supporting SQLite, MySQL,Postgres, Firebird, MsSQL and
Now a web like program that supports the code from Dabo projects over the
web. The report writer has had many improvements recently. People from
everywhere are joining in - very cool.

Michael Ströder

Jun 23, 2009, 4:59:55 AM6/23/09

I'm sure there are many projects which could need a helping hand. But
instead of pointing you to a specific project I'd rather recommend that
you contribute to projects you're using for your own daily work. Why?
Because you simply know what's really needed if you deploy a software
yourself.

Ciao, Michael.

--
Michael Ströder
E-Mail: mic...@stroeder.com

Aahz

Jun 23, 2009, 12:53:14 PM6/23/09
In article <4a3fde13$0$48239$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>,

http://wiki.python.org/moin/VolunteerOpportunities
--
Aahz (aa...@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

saurabh

Jun 24, 2009, 5:42:59 AM6/24/09

Thanks a lot everyone for your prompt replies. I am really glad to see so
many options for me.
I am sure joining any of the above projects will enrich my understanding
of python and programming.I will just have to find out , to which project
I will be most useful.I will definitely join one of them.

-Saurabh