O'Reilly Python Certification

Ethan Furman

Dec 15, 2010, 12:54:27 PM12/15/10
to Python
So I just got an e-mail from O'Reilly and their School of Technology
about a Python Certification course... anybody have any experience with
this?

It also says Steve Holden is involved -- is this True? (Steve?)

~Ethan~

PS

Can you tell I've been programming? ;)

Steve Holden

Dec 15, 2010, 1:14:26 PM12/15/10
to pytho...@python.org
On 12/15/2010 12:54 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> So I just got an e-mail from O'Reilly and their School of Technology
> about a Python Certification course... anybody have any experience with
> this?
>
> It also says Steve Holden is involved -- is this True? (Steve?)

Well, it's not not not False. You think O'Reilly would publish lies on
their web site? :-)

I am a little more that involved. In ham and eggs the chicken is
involved. I am committed, like the pig, having got three of the four
classes into production after almost two years' work. So for those of
you who may have wondered why I have been on c.l.py only sporadically
lately, now you know.

The certificate will come from the University of Illinois after
approximately 160 hours of study. By the end of the series you should
have a substantial corpus of Python code that you have typed in
yourself, understand and can discuss with potential employers and
others. You will have a fair knowledge of Python and you will be
accustomed to test-driven development.

> ~Ethan~
>
> PS
>
> Can you tell I've been programming? ;)

I would really like to hear from anyone who takes the class. I would
like to ensure that it is kept up to date and relevant with continuous
improvements, and feedback will be invaluable in helping me to achieve
this goal.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17 http://us.pycon.org/

Tim Chase

Dec 15, 2010, 3:40:33 PM12/15/10
to Ethan Furman, Python
On 12/15/2010 11:54 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> So I just got an e-mail from O'Reilly and their School of Technology
> about a Python Certification course... anybody have any experience with
> this?
>
> It also says Steve Holden is involved -- is this True?

you should just test for the truthiness without comparing to True:

if is_involved(steve_holden):
your_code()

rather than asking

if is_involved(steve_holden) is True:
your_code()

;-)

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if it's
possible to test out of the certification for those of us that
have been using Python for a long time.

-tkc

Steve Holden

Dec 15, 2010, 4:11:38 PM12/15/10
to pytho...@python.org
On 12/15/2010 3:40 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if it's possible
> to test out of the certification for those of us that have been using
> Python for a long time.

That's an interesting idea - let a bunch of experienced Python users
tell me what a lousy job I have done of explaining the language. :)

Seriously, I would be interested, and it's a terrific idea. I can't do
anything before January, but if anyone is interested in taking part in
such a review of the materials I'd be grateful if they would contact me
privately by email on a "no promises" basis.

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens

Dec 15, 2010, 4:21:58 PM12/15/10
to pytho...@python.org
Am 15.12.2010 22:11, schrieb Steve Holden:
> On 12/15/2010 3:40 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>> On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if it's possible
>> to test out of the certification for those of us that have been using
>> Python for a long time.
> That's an interesting idea - let a bunch of experienced Python users
> tell me what a lousy job I have done of explaining the language. :)
>
> Seriously, I would be interested, and it's a terrific idea. I can't do
> anything before January, but if anyone is interested in taking part in
> such a review of the materials I'd be grateful if they would contact me
> privately by email on a "no promises" basis.
>
> regards
> Steve
I think he meant: take the test without study first.
I'd be interested in both, though.

Tim Chase

Dec 15, 2010, 5:01:04 PM12/15/10
to Steve Holden, pytho...@python.org
On 12/15/2010 03:11 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 3:40 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>> On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if it's possible
>> to test out of the certification for those of us that have been using
>> Python for a long time.
>
> That's an interesting idea - let a bunch of experienced Python users
> tell me what a lousy job I have done of explaining the language. :)

Actually Stephan read what I intended -- a way to take the final
test (and receive the cert) without belaboring the taker or you
with the actual course-work. I did that with several classes
back in college where I needed a prereq. for a class but was able
to ace the final for that prereq to show the prof(s) that I knew
the material. Saved me a semester-long class in each case, and
saved the professor the time spent grading my stuff.

That said, having peer-review of your course material can (well,
*should*) only improve it.

-tkc

Steve Holden

Dec 16, 2010, 1:48:46 AM12/16/10
to pytho...@python.org
On 12/15/2010 4:21 PM, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:
> Am 15.12.2010 22:11, schrieb Steve Holden:
>> On 12/15/2010 3:40 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>>> On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if it's possible
>>> to test out of the certification for those of us that have been using
>>> Python for a long time.
>> That's an interesting idea - let a bunch of experienced Python users
>> tell me what a lousy job I have done of explaining the language. :)
>>
>> Seriously, I would be interested, and it's a terrific idea. I can't do
>> anything before January, but if anyone is interested in taking part in
>> such a review of the materials I'd be grateful if they would contact me
>> privately by email on a "no promises" basis.
>>
>> regards
>> Steve
> I think he meant: take the test without study first.
> I'd be interested in both, though.

There isn't a test. The award of the certificate is based on providing
working solutions to projects at the end of each lesson.

Bear in mind I have not spoken to my O'Reilly contacts about whether
they would be OK with such a scheme, hence the "no promises".

Ethan Furman

Dec 16, 2010, 10:40:54 AM12/16/10
to Nitin Pawar, pytho...@python.org
Please don't top-post. :)

Nitin Pawar wrote:
> Can someone provide any links or any starting points on how to apply and
> what are the prerequisites

http://www.oreillyschool.com/certificates/python-programming.php

No prerequisites that I could see, and currently they are running a 25%
discount promotional.

~Ethan~

Matty Sarro

Dec 16, 2010, 12:12:42 PM12/16/10
to Ethan Furman, pytho...@python.org
So how exactly does the class work? Is it like an elementary CS class
where you have a teacher, assignments, etc. Or is it more like a
guided tour through the O'Reilly Python book/cookbook?

Steve Holden

Dec 16, 2010, 1:27:23 PM12/16/10
to pytho...@python.org
Each lesson required you to complete a practical assignment. You submit
these assignments for evaluation, and do not proceed to the next lesson
until your assignment reaches a satisfactory standard. Thus, less
experienced students will tend to have more interaction with their tutors.

A class will typically have between twelve and sixteen lessons. There
are also quizzes and a final practical project.

regards
Steve

J. Altman

Dec 28, 2010, 3:07:29 PM12/28/10
On 2010-12-16, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Each lesson required you to complete a practical assignment. You submit
> these assignments for evaluation, and do not proceed to the next lesson
> until your assignment reaches a satisfactory standard. Thus, less
> experienced students will tend to have more interaction with their tutors.
>
> A class will typically have between twelve and sixteen lessons. There
> are also quizzes and a final practical project.
>
> regards
> Steve

I have a general question.

Does it seem odd that a certificate in Python, an Open Source
language; taught at O'Reilly, which offers an Open Source Programming
Certificate and is something like waist-deep in Open Source
publishing; is offered to the world at large but only (IIUC) if one
runs some version of Windows by MS?

Based on what I am given to understand from my correspondence with
OST, it seems that I *must* install an instance of Windows to take the
certificate's courses.

Not that I particularly want to bash MS, but I am running FreeBSD, and
have Python 2.x and 3.x installed; I can call either IDE; and I am
competent at the shell, I think sufficiently, to manage coding at the
shell.

Is it normal for people in CS courses at the University and/or
certificate level to learn a given language under Windows?

Or is it just me who thinks it odd that an OS like FreeBSD won't
(apparently, I stress) work with the O'Reilly Sandbox?

Stephen Bunn

Dec 29, 2010, 6:39:54 AM12/29/10
to pytho...@python.org
At Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:07:29 +0000 (UTC),

J. Altman wrote:

> I have a general question.
>
> Does it seem odd that a certificate in Python, an Open Source
> language; taught at O'Reilly, which offers an Open Source Programming
> Certificate and is something like waist-deep in Open Source
> publishing; is offered to the world at large but only (IIUC) if one
> runs some version of Windows by MS?
>
> Based on what I am given to understand from my correspondence with
> OST, it seems that I *must* install an instance of Windows to take the
> certificate's courses.
This is not true. You can take the course on any operating system that supports a RDP client. I am enrolled with in the python course and I use GNU/Linux. They even have instructions on their website on how to configure it. I would have preferred them to use a UNIX shell. I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with a course that teaches me a programming language, while teaching me a VCS and allows me to write code and submit to a repo with other students contributing. You want to bring people into F/OSS -- That is how you do it!

The complaint that I do have with OST (at least the Python course) and the reason I have not completed (or even worked on the course in almost a year) it, is that its just plain boring. It's almost 2011! Give me some interactive flash, a video, something. Reading some pages of dry text just doesn't cut it for me. I can do that on my own. If I'm going to pay for a course I want a teacher that is going to teach me something. I can buy plenty of books and read them. The entire course is just plain dry text. I don't even remeber seeing an image diagram. On top of that the text is horribly ugly to look at.

Stephen Bunn

Dec 29, 2010, 6:40:24 AM12/29/10
J. Altman wrote:

> I have a general question.
>
> Does it seem odd that a certificate in Python, an Open Source
> language; taught at O'Reilly, which offers an Open Source Programming
> Certificate and is something like waist-deep in Open Source
> publishing; is offered to the world at large but only (IIUC) if one
> runs some version of Windows by MS?
>
> Based on what I am given to understand from my correspondence with
> OST, it seems that I *must* install an instance of Windows to take the
> certificate's courses.

Stephen Bunn

Dec 29, 2010, 6:41:15 AM12/29/10
J. Altman wrote:

> I have a general question.
>
> Does it seem odd that a certificate in Python, an Open Source
> language; taught at O'Reilly, which offers an Open Source Programming
> Certificate and is something like waist-deep in Open Source
> publishing; is offered to the world at large but only (IIUC) if one
> runs some version of Windows by MS?
>
> Based on what I am given to understand from my correspondence with
> OST, it seems that I *must* install an instance of Windows to take the
> certificate's courses.

jaron...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2014, 5:53:12 PM9/3/14
Ethan, Steve, Tim, and others:

I'm thinking of taking the program. How long, in hours, does it take to complete all four Python courses?

-Jaron Breen

Ethan Furman

Sep 3, 2014, 6:12:47 PM9/3/14
to pytho...@python.org
On 09/03/2014 02:52 PM, jaron...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ethan, Steve, Tim, and others:
>
> I'm thinking of taking the program. How long, in hours, does it take to complete all four Python courses?

That is an impossible question to answer accurately.

I took the classes already having extensive knowledge of Python, which meant basically reading through the material, and
doing the homework -- so probably an hour for reading, hour for the homework, or two hours per chapter, blah, blah,
blah, roughly 30 hours for each class.

So that's probably a mininum. Oh, and I also read pretty quickly.

So if your reading speed is average or slow you should probably add another 30; if you're learning instead of reviewing
add another 30; if applying new concepts to code does not come easy add another 30...

So anywhere from 30 - 120 hours per class, or 120 - 480 for the course.

I did say you wouldn't get an accurate answer, right? ;)

I don't know who's teaching the classes now, but I was lucky enough to work with Kirby Urner and Steve Holden, and they
were both great instructors.

--
~Ethan~

jul...@julianvidal.com

Sep 5, 2014, 5:52:31 PM9/5/14
On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:53:12 PM UTC-4, jaron...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ethan, Steve, Tim, and others:
>

> I'm thinking of taking the program. How long, in hours, does it take to complete all four Python courses?

I'm currently taking the first out of four modules. I have extensive PHP knowledge and I also have a certification by Zend so programming is not new to me. I've never done anything at all with Python.

I've already completed 12 out of the 16 lessons and so far the reading has taken me from 15 to 30 minutes and the code assignments no more than 10. There was one exception that took me 30 minutes as I wasn't sure what the hell they were asking (it was a very obscure and useless algorithm which hasn't been the case on any of the other assignments). On top of that you have to answer 2 quizzes and each quiz usually has 2 questions (no more than 5). Those usually take 1 to 3 minutes max as they are mostly syntax or concepts but not coding.

As I said, this is only true for the first module as I haven't taken the others yet. But if you already know programming and have a few years of coding experience you will breeze through the first module in probably 3 days (assuming you only do that). The syllabus for the other modules suggests (to me) that going so fast would not be that easy.

mjkan...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2014, 2:19:05 PM9/10/14
I just completed all four modules and Kirby was my instructor. I really enjoyed the class and got a lot out of it. I am not a developer, so common concepts like objects were new to me, whereas standard data structures like lists, dicts, etc. were already known. It definitely allowed me to increase my overall understanding of common programming concepts while I learned the pythonic way to implement them.

I recommend the class. It's a bit pricey, so best if your employer can foot the bill.

mirc...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2015, 3:23:02 AM7/26/15
On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 9:19:05 PM UTC+3, mjkan...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just completed all four modules and Kirby was my instructor. I really enjoyed the class and got a lot out of it. I am not a developer, so common concepts like objects were new to me, whereas standard data structures like lists, dicts, etc. were already known. It definitely allowed me to increase my overall understanding of common programming concepts while I learned the pythonic way to implement them.
>
> I recommend the class. It's a bit pricey, so best if your employer can foot the bill.

Hi there, I just started the classes, I want to ask you long does take you to finish the four modules?
thanks