How can I access data from MS Access?

Finger....@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2007, 10:43:40 AM2/3/07
How to access data from MS Access? I tried ADOdb for Python but it
doesn't seems to work.

Even the official examples dont work, like this one:

import adodb
conn = adodb.NewADOConnection('access') # mxodbc required
dsn = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=d:\\inetpub\\adodb\
\northwind.mdb;"
conn.Connect(dsn)

(I have downloaded mxodbc, but still it doesn't works)

Bruno Desthuilliers

Feb 3, 2007, 12:27:08 PM2/3/07
Finger....@gmail.com a écrit :
"doesn't work" is the worst possible description of a problem. Did it
print out some insults in a foreign language ? wipe out your HD ? Else ?

Finger....@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2007, 12:16:13 PM2/3/07
On Feb 3, 10:27 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bdesth.quelquech...@free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> Finger.Octo...@gmail.com a écrit :> How to access data from MS Access? I tried ADOdb for Python but it

I havn't said "doesn't work", I rather doesn't seem to work.

Peter Otten

Feb 3, 2007, 12:23:30 PM2/3/07
Finger....@gmail.com wrote:

> On Feb 3, 10:27 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers

>> "doesn't work" is the worst possible description of a problem. Did it

>> print out some insults in a foreign language ? wipe out your HD ? Else ?

> I havn't said "doesn't work", I rather doesn't seem to work.

Bruno, admit that you were wrong. Finger.Octopus is able to give a
description that is even worse than what you deemed possible :-)

Peter

Bruno Desthuilliers

Feb 4, 2007, 4:32:44 PM2/4/07
Peter Otten a écrit :

Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is
effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up.

Ben Finney

Feb 4, 2007, 5:03:39 PM2/4/07
to pytho...@python.org
Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.qu...@free.quelquepart.fr> writes:

> I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is effectivly
> even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up.

+1 QOTW

--
\ "You can't have everything; where would you put it?" -- Steven |
`\ Wright |

Andy Dingley

Feb 5, 2007, 5:52:15 AM2/5/07
On 3 Feb, 15:43, Finger.Octo...@gmail.com wrote:
> How to access data from MS Access?

Can you access Access from Access ? from Excel / Visual Basic / SQL
Query? First of all check that the DSN is working and connects to the
back end MDB. This might not be Python's problem.

Secondly check whatever errors you're being returned.

Sells, Fred

Feb 5, 2007, 2:40:38 PM2/5/07
to pytho...@python.org
Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is
effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up.

Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center
with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that.

Andy Dingley

Feb 6, 2007, 1:48:45 PM2/6/07
On 5 Feb, 19:40, "Sells, Fred" <f...@adventistcare.org> wrote:

> Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center
> with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that.

I used to use a cross-compiler (targetting some obscure single-chip
hardware) that had just a single error message

"Diddley-squat somewhere near here"

BartlebyScrivener

Feb 6, 2007, 2:00:35 PM2/6/07
On Feb 5, 4:52 am, "Andy Dingley" <ding...@codesmiths.com> wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 15:43, Finger.Octo...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > How to access data from MS Access?
>
> First of all check that the DSN is working and connects to the
> back end MDB. This might not be Python's problem.
>
> Secondly check whatever errors you're being returned.

Yes, and then move onto something like this:

http://www.freelance-developer.com/howto_odbcpy

rd

"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire
and he will be warm for rest of his life."

--Terry Pratchett