upgrade 2.4 -> 2.5 HowTo

Helmut Jarausch

Sep 4, 2006, 4:00:41 AM9/4/06

what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?

- How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages) have been
installed up to now
- Can I just copy /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to
/usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Steve Holden

Sep 4, 2006, 4:41:59 AM9/4/06
to pytho...@python.org
Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?
>
> - How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages) have been
> installed up to now
> - Can I just copy /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?

Alas, no, this will only work for pure Python packages.

If any of your packages are "extensions" in compiled languages
(typically C or C++) then they need to be completely rebuilt, as the
interpreter API changes between releases.

Technically you should be able to copy the pure Python packages and
midules across, althought eh .pyc file format alos differs between
releases. However, the .pyc files will all be rebuilt automatically when
they are required.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119

Sibylle Koczian

Sep 4, 2006, 8:10:27 AM9/4/06
Helmut Jarausch schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?
>
> - How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages)
> have been
> installed up to now
> - Can I just copy /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,

Which OS?

Windows: control panel / software will list all python packages which
came with separate installers.

Linux: the package manager of your distribution should tell you what's
installed.

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.

Helmut Jarausch

Sep 4, 2006, 10:00:33 AM9/4/06
Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?
>>
>> - How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages)
>> have been
>> installed up to now
>> - Can I just copy /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to
>> /usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>>

> Which OS?
>
> Windows: control panel / software will list all python packages which
> came with separate installers.
>
> Linux: the package manager of your distribution should tell you what's
> installed.

It's Linux.
Thanks, but I don't have a package manager. I'm working with Linux-From-Scratch.

Tim Roberts

Sep 4, 2006, 8:24:43 PM9/4/06
Helmut Jarausch <jara...@skynet.be> wrote:

>what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?
>
>- How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages) have been
> installed up to now
>- Can I just copy /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?

I've started keeping the tarballs for all of the packages I install in a
single directory, along with a shell script to install each of them. It
makes upgrading much easier. I do this on both Linux and Windows.
--
- Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.