Python threads and memory usage

Mike

May 29, 2008, 3:01:30 PM5/29/08

I'm writing client-server application in Python. It's monitoring
system, where server listen and waits for TCP connections, and every
connection takes own thread. Every thread puts data from clients to
Queue and exits. Then there is one DB loader thread, which loads all
data from Queue to MySQL DB.

I observed, that every thread reserved some memory, and after exit
thread doesn't freed it. When i leaved my server working for 3 days,
then it takes 15% of 512MB memory (during that time about 15000
threads were created and stopped). When server starts it only takes
about 1% of memory.

I know that I can made client which connects once and keep this
session with server thread all time (it should resolve my problems),
but I'm curious if this is normal or it is something like memory leak.
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong :)

If You need I can paste all my code.

Regards

Message has been deleted

Mike

May 30, 2008, 3:42:33 AM5/30/08
On May 30, 9:16 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:01:30 -0700 (PDT), Mike <mszpad...@gmail.com>

> > I observed, that every thread reserved some memory, and after exit
> > thread doesn't freed it. When i leaved my server working for 3 days,
> > then it takes 15% of 512MB memory (during that time about 15000
> > threads were created and stopped). When server starts it only takes
> > about 1% of memory.
>
>         Do you have any outstanding references to the threads? If so, have
> you performed a .join() with the thread? Until you join it, the thread
> state (thread local objects/"variables") are probably being held for
> access from outside the thread.
> --
>         Wulfraed        Dennis Lee Bieber               KD6MOG
>         wlfr...@ix.netcom.com             wulfr...@bestiaria.com
>                 HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>         (Bestiaria Support Staff:               web-a...@bestiaria.com)
>                 HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

I'm joining threads only during my program exit. I'll try to do what
You suggest.

THX

Mike

May 30, 2008, 6:49:10 AM5/30/08

It helped. Now all threads are added to thread list and every some
period of time I'm checking which threads are alive (enumerate), and
joining all which aren't. Now [memory usage is still on 1% :D:D:D

Thanks