TIOBE declares Python as programming language of 2007!

monke...@mailinator.com

Jan 7, 2008, 5:55:25 AM1/7/08

Berco Beute

Jan 7, 2008, 6:53:40 AM1/7/08
Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
sexiness?

What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
popularity in 2004 (see http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).
Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.

2B

Diez B. Roggisch

Jan 7, 2008, 8:12:24 AM1/7/08
Berco Beute schrieb:

> Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
> What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
> sexiness?

I'd say Java was never sexy, but dressed up in expensive lingerie by
marketing maniacs...

Diez

Kay Schluehr

Jan 7, 2008, 9:27:36 AM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 12:53 pm, Berco Beute <cybe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
> What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
> sexiness?

Python eats Perls lunch as a scripting language.

George Sakkis

Jan 7, 2008, 1:21:55 PM1/7/08

Even better, it is not threatened by Ruby as many from the buzzword-
ridden RoR crowd would like to believe.

ajaksu

Jan 7, 2008, 2:55:12 PM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 9:53 am, Berco Beute <cybe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
> What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
> sexiness?
>
> What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
> popularity in 2004 (seehttp://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).

> Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.
>
> 2B

From http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index(and
http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/images/tpci_trends.png )

# Q: What happened to Java in April 2004? Did you change your
methodology?

A: No, we did not change our methodology at that time. Google changed
its methodology. They performed a general sweep action to get rid of
all kinds of web sites that had been pushed up. As a consequence,
there was a huge drop for languages such as Java and C++. In order to
minimize such fluctuations in the future, we added two more search
engines (MSN and Yahoo) a few months after this incident.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Jan 7, 2008, 3:08:07 PM1/7/08
Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :

+2 QOTW

> Diez

Richard Jones

Jan 7, 2008, 3:51:45 PM1/7/08
Berco Beute wrote:
> What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
> popularity in 2004 (see http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).
> Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.

They explain the discontinuity on the index page in the FAQ.

Richard

Paddy

Jan 7, 2008, 10:16:10 PM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 10:55 am, monkeyda...@mailinator.com wrote:
> Seehttp://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index.
>
> Marc
ohloh "Monthly Commits by Language"
also shows Python open-source work being healthy:
http://tinyurl.com/2wcadu
If you remove C/C++ the other languages can be more easily compared.
(C/C++ I see as the bedrock language of open-source):
http://tinyurl.com/2u76d9

- Paddy.