Floating point subtraction rounding error (NOT display error)

Keflavich

Dec 13, 2007, 5:30:18 PM12/13/07
Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is
having problems. I know about the impossibility of storing floating
point numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the
standard used for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors
from compounding.

Is there a simple solution to this problem, or do I need to run some
sort of check at every subtraction to make sure that my float does not
deviate? I'm not sure I know even how to do that.

A sample of the failure:
ipdb>1.0000000000000001 == 1
True
ipdb>R
0.69999999999999996
ipdb>R==.7
True
ipdb>y2
3.2999999999999998
ipdb>y2 == 3.3
True
ipdb>cirY-y2
0.70000000000000018
ipdb>cirY-y2 == .7
False

I was unable to find solutions when searching the web because all of
the hits I got were discussing display issues, which I'm not concerned
with.

Thanks,
Adam

Aahz

Dec 13, 2007, 5:39:19 PM12/13/07
In article <93a9ea9a-00ab-4022...@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

Keflavich <kefl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
>arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is
>having problems. I know about the impossibility of storing floating
>point numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the
>standard used for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors
>from compounding.
>
>Is there a simple solution to this problem, or do I need to run some
>sort of check at every subtraction to make sure that my float does not
>deviate? I'm not sure I know even how to do that.

Switch to Decimal module? Available in 2.4 and later.
--
Aahz (aa...@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Typing is cheap. Thinking is expensive." --Roy Smith

Keflavich

Dec 13, 2007, 5:50:54 PM12/13/07
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I'm not sure the decimal type is
included in numpy, though, which is what I'm using. It doesn't show
up in their documentation, at least.

Adam

On Dec 13, 3:39 pm, a...@pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <93a9ea9a-00ab-4022-a567-8ba268790...@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

> Keflavich <keflav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
> >arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is
> >having problems. I know about the impossibility of storing floating
> >point numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the
> >standard used for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors
> >from compounding.
>
> >Is there a simple solution to this problem, or do I need to run some
> >sort of check at every subtraction to make sure that my float does not
> >deviate? I'm not sure I know even how to do that.
>
> Switch to Decimal module? Available in 2.4 and later.
> --

> Aahz (a...@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Keflavich

Dec 13, 2007, 6:01:43 PM12/13/07
The decimal package isn't what I'm looking for - I don't want to have
to retype every variable in my code, and I have arcsines showing up on
about a dozen lines right now. It also seems like a rather
complicated way to deal with the problem; maybe I just need to
implement my own rounding code, but I figured something of that sort
must already exist.

Thanks though,
Adam

Keflavich

Dec 13, 2007, 6:20:14 PM12/13/07
Solved: used round(number,12) in this case for all of the operands of
my arcsines. Not pretty, but at least VIM made it easy...

Thanks for the help,
Adam

Steven D'Aprano

Dec 13, 2007, 7:52:02 PM12/13/07
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:30:18 -0800, Keflavich wrote:

> Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
> arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is having
> problems.

I'm not convinced that your diagnosis is correct. Unless you're using
some weird, uncommon hardware, it's unlikely that a bug in the floating
point subtraction routines has escaped detection. (Unlikely, but not
impossible.) Can you tell us what values give you incorrect results?

> I know about the impossibility of storing floating point
> numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the standard used
> for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors from compounding.

What gave you that impression? Are you referring to guard digits?

> Is there a simple solution to this problem, or do I need to run some
> sort of check at every subtraction to make sure that my float does not
> deviate? I'm not sure I know even how to do that.

I still don't quite understand your problem. If you think your float is
deviating from the correct value, that implies you know what the correct
value should be. How do you know what the correct value should be?

I should also mention that of course your answer will deviate, due to the
finite precision of floats.

> A sample of the failure:
> ipdb>1.0000000000000001 == 1
> True
> ipdb>R
> 0.69999999999999996
> ipdb>R==.7
> True
> ipdb>y2
> 3.2999999999999998
> ipdb>y2 == 3.3
> True
> ipdb>cirY-y2
> 0.70000000000000018

What's cirY? How do you know this is the incorrect value?

> ipdb>cirY-y2 == .7
> False

Obviously not. As you've already shown, the correct value is
0.70000000000000018, not 0.69999999999999996 (the closest floating point
value to 0.7).

> I was unable to find solutions when searching the web because all of the
> hits I got were discussing display issues, which I'm not concerned with.

Have you read this?

Steven.

Keflavich

Dec 13, 2007, 10:22:18 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 5:52 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-

cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:30:18 -0800, Keflavich wrote:
> > Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
> > arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is having
> > problems.
>
> I'm not convinced that your diagnosis is correct. Unless you're using
> some weird, uncommon hardware, it's unlikely that a bug in the floating
> point subtraction routines has escaped detection. (Unlikely, but not
> impossible.) Can you tell us what values give you incorrect results?

Here's a better (more complete) example [btw, I'm using ipython]:

In [39]: x = 3.1 + .6
In [40]: y = x - 3.1
In [41]: y == 6
Out[41]: False
In [42]: x == 3.7
Out[42]: True
In [43]: 3.1+.6-3.1 == .6
Out[43]: False
In [45]: (3.1+.6-3.1)/.6
Out[45]: 1.0000000000000002
In [46]: (3.1+.6-3.1)/.6 == 1
Out[46]: False
In [47]: (3.1+.6-3.1)/.6 > 1
Out[47]: True

Therefore, if I try to take the arcsine of that value, instead of
being arcsine(1) = pi, I have arcsine(1.(16 zeroes)1) = math domain
error. However, see below, I now understand the error.

> > I know about the impossibility of storing floating point
> > numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the standard used
> > for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors from compounding.
>
> What gave you that impression? Are you referring to guard digits?

I believe that's what I was referring to; I have only skimmed the
topic, haven't gone into a lot of depth

> > Is there a simple solution to this problem, or do I need to run some
> > sort of check at every subtraction to make sure that my float does not
> > deviate? I'm not sure I know even how to do that.
>
> I still don't quite understand your problem. If you think your float is
> deviating from the correct value, that implies you know what the correct
> value should be. How do you know what the correct value should be?
>
> I should also mention that of course your answer will deviate, due to the
> finite precision of floats.

I'm adding and subtracting things with 1 decimal point; I can do the
math for an given case trivially. Are you suggesting that I don't
know what the exact floating point quantity should be?

> Obviously not. As you've already shown, the correct value is
> 0.70000000000000018, not 0.69999999999999996 (the closest floating point
> value to 0.7).

The case I cited that you disliked is practically the same as the one
above; sorry I posted one where the value of the variable was
unstated.

> > I was unable to find solutions when searching the web because all of the
> > hits I got were discussing display issues, which I'm not concerned with.
>
> Have you read this?http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

I started to, but didn't get through the whole thing. I'm saving that
for bedtime reading after finals.

Anyway, whether or not it's stated in that document, as I presume it
is, the problem I have resulted from a different level of precision
for numbers <1 and numbers >1. i.e.
1.1000000000000001
.90000000000000002
so the larger the number (in powers of ten), the further off the
difference between two numbers will be. I suppose that's why the
"guard digits" did nothing for me - I subtracted a "real number" from
a guard digit. Still, this seems like very unintuitive behavior; it
would be natural to truncate the subtraction at the last digit of
1.1... rather than including the uncertain digit in the final answer.

> --
> Steven.

Paddy

Dec 14, 2007, 2:26:25 AM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 3:22 am, Keflavich <keflav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 5:52 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-
>
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:30:18 -0800, Keflavich wrote:
> > > Hey, I have a bit of code that died on a domain error when doing an
> > > arcsin, and apparently it's because floating point subtraction is having
> > > problems.

I've come to understand that
1. Floats are fuzzy around the edges.
2. Never do: "The difference between two floats is equal to..."
Do: "The difference between two floats is in the range ..."
But even 2 needs some serious thinking if the range of float values
being
compared is large.

Its unscientific, but floats need more respect.

- Paddy.

Nikos Vergas

Dec 14, 2007, 4:57:32 AM12/14/07
> Solved: used round(number,12) in this case for all of the operands of
> my arcsines. Not pretty, but at least VIM made it easy...

You might have the same problem though:

>>> round(1.000340100000325235000000235,13)
1.0003401000003
>>> round(1.000340100000325235000000235,12)
1.0003401000000001

Gabriel Genellina

Dec 14, 2007, 5:39:12 AM12/14/07
to pytho...@python.org
En Fri, 14 Dec 2007 00:22:18 -0300, Keflavich <kefl...@gmail.com>
escribió:

Let's see how these float numbers are represented: significand *
2**exponent where 1<=significand<2 (like scientific notation but using
base 2, not base 10) and with 53 binary digits available for the
significand (this is more or less the format used by IEEE754 floating
point, implemented in hardware on all platforms where Python is available
and I know of, except maybe some cell phones):

3.1 = 3.1000000000000001 = 0.77500000000000002 x 2**2 =
1.1000110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001101 x 2**1

0.6 = 0.59999999999999998 = 0.59999999999999998 x 2**0 =
1.0011001100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011 x 2**-1

3.1+0.6 = 3.7000000000000002 = 0.92500000000000004 x 2**2 =
1.1101100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011010 x 2**1

3.1+0.6-3.1 = 0.60000000000000009 = 0.60000000000000009 x 2**0 =
1.0011001100110011001100110011001100110011001100110100 x 2**-1

where the 1.xxxx are binary fractions.

Let's compute 3.1+0.6 using the binary form:

3.1 = 11.000110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001101
0.6 = .100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001100 11
sum = 11.101100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011010

Notice that, to align both numbers at their decimal point (hmm, binary
point!), we had to discard the two less significant binary digits of 0.6.
The result, however, is still the same as if we had done the computation
exactly and then rounded to 53 significant binary digits. (that's why x ==
3.7 is True in your example above).

Now let's substract 3.1 from the result:
sum = 11.101100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011010
3.1 = 11.000110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001101
dif = .100110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001101 __

There are 51 significant bits there; as we use 53 bits in the
representation, the two less significant bits are set to 0 (they're
"unknown", in fact). We lose those 2 bits because we are substracting
numbers close to each other (this is known as cancellation). The error is
only 1 unit of the least significant binary digit (1x2**-53) but enough to
make that number different to the representation of 0.6 (they differ by
the least possible amount).

Note that this is the best result you can get with a limited precision of
53 bits, and it's not even Python who computes the value, but the
underlying C math library (and very likely, using the hardware). IEEE754
defines substraction very precisely so people can get reliable results on
any platform, and this is not an exception.

>> > I know about the impossibility of storing floating point
>> > numbers precisely, but I was under the impression that the standard
>> used
>> > for that last digit would prevent subtraction errors from compounding.
>>
>> What gave you that impression? Are you referring to guard digits?
>
> I believe that's what I was referring to; I have only skimmed the
> topic, haven't gone into a lot of depth

Substraction of numbers of similar magnitude is often a problem, like
addition of very dissimilar numbers.

>> I should also mention that of course your answer will deviate, due to
>> the
>> finite precision of floats.
>
> I'm adding and subtracting things with 1 decimal point; I can do the
> math for an given case trivially. Are you suggesting that I don't
> know what the exact floating point quantity should be?

Notice that those values have an exact *decimal* representation but are
*periodic* written in binary form, as you can see from above. Any finite
binary representation must be approximate then. It's like trying to write
1/3 in decimal form, you can't do that exactly without requiring infinite
digits.

>> Have you read this?http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html
>
> I started to, but didn't get through the whole thing. I'm saving that
> for bedtime reading after finals.

At least overview the topics - you might not be interested in the theorem
proofs and some details, but the consequences and discussion are worth
reading.

> Anyway, whether or not it's stated in that document, as I presume it
> is, the problem I have resulted from a different level of precision
> for numbers <1 and numbers >1. i.e.
> 1.1000000000000001
> .90000000000000002
> so the larger the number (in powers of ten), the further off the
> difference between two numbers will be. I suppose that's why the
> "guard digits" did nothing for me - I subtracted a "real number" from
> a guard digit. Still, this seems like very unintuitive behavior; it
> would be natural to truncate the subtraction at the last digit of
> 1.1... rather than including the uncertain digit in the final answer.

Well, this is what "floating" point means: the number of significant
digits after the decimal point is not fixed. You appear to want a "fixed
point" approach; for some applications fixed point is better suited (money
accounting, where 4 decimal places are usually enough) but for general,
wide range numbers, floating point is better.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Keflavich

Dec 14, 2007, 9:55:06 AM12/14/07

True, but I think that's actually the behavior I'm looking for: the
truncation in this case gives me a smaller number (I hope it's safe to
assume that 1.0003401000000001 < 1.0003401000003), which is exactly
what I want when I'm worried about subtractions giving me numbers very
slightly larger than 1.

Gabriel, Paddy, thanks for the overviews. Yes, floats deserve more
respect, or at least more caution.

I feel fairly certain, however, that floats are exactly what I want
for my purposes: I need moderately high precision and I'm not
concerned about the least-significant-bit errors except when they
violate function domains. I guess the overriding lesson is that every
float subtraction needs to be carefully thought through, which is a
disappointing loss of simplicity for me, but I'll deal with it.

Adam

Carl Banks

Dec 14, 2007, 10:28:03 AM12/14/07
On Dec 13, 6:20 pm, Keflavich <keflav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Solved: used round(number,12) in this case for all of the operands of
> my arcsines. Not pretty, but at least VIM made it easy...
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Adam

I suspect this could even fail in some circumstances. If it's for
school you're probably covered, but in real world, it would be better
to:

1. Rewrite calculation to avoid arccos and arcsin (using trigonometric
or geometric identities)

2. Clamp it to range [-1.0:1.0]. You can do this in numpy with
numpy.clip().

Carl Banks

Keflavich

Dec 14, 2007, 10:56:23 AM12/14/07

Thanks Carl. The "clip" task sounds a lot more reasonable. It would
be clever if I could find a way around using arcsin/arccos, I'll see
if that works for me. Yours is certainly the most practical advice on
this thread.

Adam

J. Robertson

Dec 14, 2007, 10:56:42 AM12/14/07
Keflavich wrote:
> [snip]

> I feel fairly certain, however, that floats are exactly what I want
> for my purposes: I need moderately high precision and I'm not
> concerned about the least-significant-bit errors except when they
> violate function domains. I guess the overriding lesson is that every
> float subtraction needs to be carefully thought through, which is a
> disappointing loss of simplicity for me, but I'll deal with it.
>
> Adam

floats probably are what you want, but in some corner cases you have to
do further math in order for your computer not to blow up; an option may
be to use Taylor expansions at some point before your function call, if
you can see a case of problematic arguments creeping up like that. And
in general you have to use something like "abs(x-y) < epsilon" in place
of x==y, as you said.

If it is simple enough, could you post the piece of code that leads to
the x you use in arcsin(x)? There's a chance that someone may figure a
place where a numerical trick could be used in your code.