Re: Is Python worth it??

Simon Brunning

Nov 15, 2005, 4:42:06 AM11/15/05
to john boy, pytho...@python.org
On 14/11/05, john boy <xray_alph...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have started out trying to learn Python for my first programming language.
> I am starting off with the book "how to think like a computer scientist."
> I spend about 4-5 hrs a day trying to learn this stuff. It is certainly no
> easy task. I've been at it for about 1-2 weeks now and have a very
> elementary picture of how Python works. I am teaching myself from home and
> only recieve help from this forum. Can anybody give me a timeframe as to
> how long it usually takes to pick something like this up, so I can maybe
> figure out a way to pace myself? I can dedicate a good amount of time to it
> everyday. Any advice on what is the best way to learn Python? I am a
> fairly educated individual with a natural sciences degree (forestry), so I
> also have a decent math background. Are there any constraints
> mathematically or logic "wise" that would prevent me from building a firm
> grasp of this language?

Keep at it.

Everyone is different, so don't worry about how long it takes you vs.
how long others might take. If you have no programming background,
there's a lot to learn. Using Python is a good choice, I think, 'cos
it gets a lot of extranious crud that many other languages insist on
out of your way, but there's still a lot to learn.

The best way to learn? Go through the tutorials - but if you get an
idea for a mini-project of your own, don't be afraid to dive off and
give it a go. Try to solve you own problems for a while, 'cos that's a
valuable skill, but don't get to the point of frustration. Ask for
help here or on the tutor mailing list[1].

And have fun.

Cheers,
Simon B,
si...@brunningonline.net,

Sells, Fred

Nov 15, 2005, 8:12:17 AM11/15/05
to pytho...@python.org
I second what others have said about the tutorials. I have not read "how to
think like a ..." but from other posting here I have reservations about it
as a starting point.

Keep at it.

And have fun.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and / or
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying to this message and deleting the material from any
computer.

jmdes...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2005, 8:40:39 AM11/15/05

Here's another reference:
http://www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html
Tutorials are sorted by type, and the first type is 'beginners' but it
really depends on the level of hand-holding you wish. Your background
suggest that you should look at something like Richard Baldwin's Learn
to Program Using Python (no programming experience required)...

Good luck.

bytecolor

Nov 15, 2005, 10:10:05 AM11/15/05

Paul Watson

Nov 15, 2005, 11:10:12 AM11/15/05

Python is a great choice for a first language. I agree with the
tutorial recommendations of others.

I would suggest that you focus on getting out of it what you want out of
it. Get some data about rainfall and correlate it with regional fires,
economic output, or religious practices. That will get you reading
data, calculating, and writing output.

Read more code than you write. Download the Python sources and
unpackage them on your machine. You do not have to build the
executable. Lot's of the Python library functions are written in
Python. Try to explain what the code is doing. If you do not yet
understand (after applying due diligence and using Google), then ask
questions. Questions are good. Questions are our friend.

Write as much code as you can. Get comfortable with a debugger where
you can watch the action happen.

There are many fundamental computer concepts such as memory, storage,
persistence, threading, and all that. Do not worry about understanding
these in the first few weeks. Focus on getting out of it something that
you want. Understanding the concepts will come to you as you are a
practitioner.

Luis M. Gonzalez

Nov 15, 2005, 11:40:33 AM11/15/05
I was in you situation, and I'll tell you what worked for me:

Online tutorials:
I suggest starting out with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers tutorial
for Python" (http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/) .
It is an ideal introduction for a complete beginner, very easy to
follow and right to the point.

After that, I'd suggest:

- A byte of Python by Swaroop C. H. (http://www.byteofpython.info/)
This one is also a very easy and complete introduction.

This would be enough to get you going and comfortable with Python, but,
you may still need some good and simple introduction to object oriented
programing.
For that, I suggest Alan Gauld's "Learning to Program"
(http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/). Pay special attention
to the object oriented programming chapter. It has a simple "banking
accounts" example that was a real eye opener for me.

Of course, It won't hurt if you check regularly the official tutorial
by Guido Van Rossum, but I wouldn't use it as a step to step
introduction, because it seems more like an overview of the language.
More indicated for someone who's looking for something specific.

Good luck!
Luis