No more Python support in NetBeans 7.0

Kees Bakker

Mar 24, 2011, 10:32:44 AM3/24/11

Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
there will be no Python plugin anymore.

I have been using NetBeans for Python development for a while now
and I was very happy with it.

See this archive for details:
http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2010-11/message/0
http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2011-01/message/0
--
Kees

Markus

Apr 20, 2011, 6:08:49 AM4/20/11
I read it too.
I always preferred Netbeans + their Python plugin over Eclipse and
PyDev.

Perhaps I have another look for working with Aptana + PyDev for my web
development stuff, but I am afraid this enviroment (and the base,
Eclipse as it's main reason) is as user unfriendly as it always was.
But long years there was no other choice than Eclipse - Netbeans wasnt
the IDE it is now - and so the people started to build plugins for
Eclipse even being aware of its shortcomings.

I think I check out Activestates Komodo IDE.
I recognized that I use their free Komodo Edit more often lately and
liked the Editor already, perhaps the IDE will be a good choice.

I've seen right now, they put on the topic:
http://www.activestate.com/blog/2011/03/netbeans-drops-python-support-komodo-adds-more

Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

And if all fails, remember, there is always vim to fallback :)

On Mar 24, 4:32 pm, Kees Bakker <s...@altium.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
> there will be no Python plugin anymore.
>
> I have been using NetBeans for Python development for a while now
> and I was very happy with it.
>

> See this archive for details:http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2010-11/m...http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2011-01/m...
> --
> Kees

Paul Rubin

Apr 20, 2011, 6:24:00 AM4/20/11
Markus <mm.m...@googlemail.com> writes:
> Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
> Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
> PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

I saw somebody using Geany recently and it looked pretty impressive.
For Python gui debuggers, winpdb.org is great.

alister ware

Apr 20, 2011, 10:24:25 AM4/20/11

I use Geany all the time & it is a good little editor.
nice & lightweight for my linux netbook, but still with the features i
need. I am sure a full IDE offers more but i never did get around to
finding out what.

--
You fill a much-needed gap.

w...@naveed.net

Oct 26, 2011, 10:06:16 PM10/26/11
Sorry to comment on an old topic, but I wanted to clarify for others like me who might get the wrong idea.

It looks like this is no longer true. Netbeans 7 might be supporting python after all.

http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python70Roadmap

trevor....@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2012, 5:22:37 PM7/16/12

trevor....@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2012, 5:20:38 PM7/16/12
On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:06:16 PM UTC-6, w...@naveed.net wrote:
I checked the date on that document it's last update was 5 November 2009

jus...@zeusedit.com

Jul 17, 2012, 3:55:19 AM7/17/12
On Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:32:44 AM UTC-7, Kees Bakker wrote:

> Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
> there will be no Python plugin anymore.

FWIW on the Windows platform the Zeus IDE has support for python:

http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

Zeus is a lightweight IDE but it does have limited Python debugger support:

http://youtu.be/aXNep2fcSsk

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus Editor

bkub...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2012, 7:45:53 PM11/4/12
It is sad indeed. I would have preferred to use netbeans for all my coding and now I have to use both netbeans and a python IDE. I have been using PyCharm for a year now and I am very happy with it. It is the best I have used for python development with django, html, javascript and css support as well. I recommend trying it out.

However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

Jetbrains IDEA Ultimate edition has both php and python support but is way out of my budget.

Demian Brecht

Nov 5, 2012, 1:29:49 AM11/5/12
to bkub...@gmail.com, pytho...@python.org

On 2012-11-04, at 4:45 PM, bkub...@gmail.com wrote:
> However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

One of the many reasons Vim is my editor of choice.

Demian Brecht
@demianbrecht
http://demianbrecht.github.com

Chris Angelico

Nov 5, 2012, 2:40:22 AM11/5/12
to pytho...@python.org
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Demian Brecht <demian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-11-04, at 4:45 PM, bkub...@gmail.com wrote:
>> However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.
>
> One of the many reasons Vim is my editor of choice.

Same here. My IDE needs are very simple. Give me an editor that lets
me manipulate multiple files at once, can one-key invoke make, and
preferably has syntax highlighting, and I'm happy. So for me, SciTE is
my editor and IDE.

ChrisA