tcl/tk version confusion with tkinter in Python 2.6, on OS X

njwil...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2008, 4:48:43 PM10/6/08
I'm having trouble with tkinter on a new installation of Python (2.6),
built with the framework option from source that was downloaded from
python.org. I'm running OS 10.4 on a PowerPC G4.

The problem first arose when I tried to run matplotlib - it couldn't
find tcl/tk because it was searching for 8.5, and I had 8.4. I found
and built tcl/tk 8.5, which led to a new error, reproduced below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "brownian2.py", line 55, in <module>
main()
File "brownian2.py", line 41, in main
root = Tk()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1645, in __init__
self._loadtk()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1659, in _loadtk
% (_tkinter.TK_VERSION, tk_version)
RuntimeError: tk.h version (8.4) doesn't match libtk.a version (8.5)

I'm a bit of a neophyte - can anyone tell me how to go about fixing
this? I've found some information by searching the list and Google,
but no helpful solutions.

Thanks,
Nat

kevin....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2008, 5:58:24 PM10/6/08

I haven't yet installed Python 2.6, but I've seen this error reported
here and on the MacPython list.

Based on what I'm seeing in the error message and in the setup.py file
in the source code, it appears that Python 2.6 is looking in
/System/Library/Frameworks for a Tcl/Tk installation rather than in
/Library/Frameworks, which is second on the list of places to look.
Tcl/Tk 8.4 comes standard with OS X in 10.4 and 10.5, and it's
installed
in /System/Library/Frameworks. The problem is that Python 2.6 seems to
be linked against Tcl/Tk 8.5--is this correct?--and when it finds Tcl/
tk
8.4, it returns an error.

You can avoid this problem by building Python yourself and putting
/Library/Frameworks first on the search path for Tcl/Tk. Look in
setup.py in the source code, around line 1438 (in the
'detect_tkinter_darwin' function), and either comment out
/System/Library or put it underneath /Library/Frameworks. This is what
the official build from Python.org should do--look first in
/Library/Frameworks and then fall back on /System/Library/Frameworks.
I'm not sure why it doesn't.

Should a bug report be filed against this? If the Mac build of Python
2.6 consistently looks in /System/Library/Frameworks for Tcl/Tk, it
won't run Tkinter applications. It makes the build pretty much useless
for anyone needing it to run Tkinter apps, including Idle. I'd say
it's
a showstopper issue.

--Kevin

Marans

Oct 6, 2008, 7:15:00 PM10/6/08

Worked like a charm for getting Tkinter to work, thanks!

Seems strange that this is the way it's shipped; wonder if there's a
good reason?

Still having trouble with matplotlib, but I suspect that's unrelated,
and I'll work on it.

Again, thanks!

Kent Johnson

Oct 6, 2008, 9:57:07 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 5:58 pm, kevin.wal...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 6, 4:48 pm, njwilso...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble with tkinter on a new installation of Python (2.6),
> > built with the framework option from source that was downloaded from
> > python.org. I'm running OS 10.4 on a PowerPC G4.
>
> > The problem first arose when I tried to run matplotlib - it couldn't
> > find tcl/tk because it was searching for 8.5, and I had 8.4.

I also had this problem. The error message at this point is
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so, 2): Library not loaded: /
Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
Reason: image not found

Note that at this point I did have Tk 8.4 installed at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4
and this works fine with Python 2.5, so Python 2.6 seems to be looking
specifically for Tk 8.5.

> >I found
> > and built tcl/tk 8.5, which led to a new error, reproduced below:

> > RuntimeError: tk.h version (8.4) doesn't match libtk.a version (8.5)

I installed Tcl/Tk 8.5 from ActiveState and got the same error.

> Based on what I'm seeing in the error message and in the setup.py file
> in the source code, it appears that Python 2.6 is looking in
> /System/Library/Frameworks for a Tcl/Tk installation rather than in
> /Library/Frameworks, which is second on the list of places to look.
> Tcl/Tk 8.4 comes standard with OS X in 10.4 and 10.5, and it's
> installed
> in /System/Library/Frameworks. The problem is that Python 2.6 seems to
> be linked against Tcl/Tk 8.5--is this correct?--and when it finds Tcl/
> tk
> 8.4, it returns an error.

I don't think that is quite right. In this second error, I think 8.4
is the compiled-in version, 8.5 is the version detected at runtime.
8.4 is the value of _tkinter.TK_VERSION, 8.4 is read from the Tk
object.

It looks to me like Python 2.6 is built against Tcl/tk 8.4 but at
runtime it looks for Tcl/tk 8.5.

> Should a bug report be filed against this? If the Mac build of Python
> 2.6 consistently looks in /System/Library/Frameworks for Tcl/Tk, it
> won't run Tkinter applications. It makes the build pretty much useless
> for anyone needing it to run Tkinter apps, including Idle. I'd say
> it's
> a showstopper issue.

I think so.

Kent