www.python.org website is down?

Caezar

Aug 8, 2009, 9:31:02 AM8/8/09
I cannot connect to the official Python website. I get the following
error message:

"Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection.
Please try again."

Are you experiencing the same problem?

Mark Lawrence

Aug 8, 2009, 9:41:57 AM8/8/09
to pytho...@python.org
Yes, it's been down for several hours.

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

MRAB

Aug 8, 2009, 9:48:16 AM8/8/09
to pytho...@python.org

A.M. Kuchling said:

"""
Both www.python.org and svn.python.org are down. They're hosted on
the same machine, and it seems to have run into disk problems and
hasn't rebooted even after power-cycling. Thomas Wouters will be
visiting the machine physically tomorrow to try to diagnose the
problem.

(The machine also hosts planet.python.org and hg.python.org.)
"""

Craig

Aug 8, 2009, 9:48:04 AM8/8/09
to pytho...@python.org, Mark Lawrence
Yes the same prob.

> > I cannot connect to the official Python website. I get
> the following
> > error message:
> >
> > "Connection Interrupted
> > The connection to the server was reset while the page
> was loading.
> > The network link was interrupted while negotiating a
> connection.
> > Please try again."
> >
> > Are you experiencing the same problem?

> Yes, it's been down for several hours.
>
> -- Kindest regards.
>
> Mark Lawrence.

Byung-Hee HWANG

Aug 8, 2009, 10:26:53 AM8/8/09
Caezar <lcaz...@gmail.com> writes:

Yes, me, too. Now i can't open the URL www.python.org ;;

--
"But there's a little more. Don Corleone is too modest."
-- Emilio Barzini, "Chapter 20", page 286

Daniel Wong

Aug 8, 2009, 11:15:24 AM8/8/09

> A.M. Kuchling said:
>
> """
> Bothwww.python.organd svn.python.org are down.  They're hosted on

> the same machine, and it seems to have run into disk problems and
> hasn't rebooted even after power-cycling.  Thomas Wouters will be
> visiting the machine physically tomorrow to try to diagnose the
> problem.
>
> (The machine also hosts planet.python.org and hg.python.org.)
> """

This is probably a stupid question, but Is there going to be any data
loss if it turns out that the disk has died completely? I assume there
are backups of the repo that are geographically distributed.

Elias Fotinis (eliasf)

Aug 8, 2009, 11:43:34 AM8/8/09
"Caezar" wrote:
> I cannot connect to the official Python website.
[snip]

> Are you experiencing the same problem?

Yes, it's been down for a while.

A useful site to check in such occasions is
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/.

the hatter

Aug 8, 2009, 12:57:32 PM8/8/09
> A.M. Kuchling said:
>
> """
> Bothwww.python.organd svn.python.org are down.  They're hosted on

> the same machine, and it seems to have run into disk problems and
> hasn't rebooted even after power-cycling.  Thomas Wouters will be
> visiting the machine physically tomorrow to try to diagnose the
> problem.
>
> (The machine also hosts planet.python.org and hg.python.org.)
> """

I was hoping to find an official mirror to grab source from when I
couldn't connect, but all i found were notices saying the python board
had decided they didn't want any ? Seems a bit short-sighted if the
main site isn't some kind of fairly bulletproof, diverse/redundant/
intrinsically mirroring setup.

the hatter

"Martin v. Löwis"

Aug 8, 2009, 2:17:37 PM8/8/09
to Daniel Wong
> This is probably a stupid question, but Is there going to be any data
> loss if it turns out that the disk has died completely? I assume there
> are backups of the repo that are geographically distributed.

Yes, we have backups, and are restoring them at the moment. However,
we still haven't given up on the original disks: they are (probably)
fine; it's just the RAID controller that has failed (and we can't buy a
replacement before Monday).

Regards,
Martin

Pouya Khankhanian

Aug 8, 2009, 2:33:57 PM8/8/09

Is there a mirror site to download the latest python installer? Every
mirror I have found on the web redirects me to python.org.
Best
Peter

Sharath

Aug 8, 2009, 2:49:13 PM8/8/09

Python FTP mirror sites also have the same problem. They are not being
mirrored for some require a password. Is there any other way to get a
copy?

Sharath Venkatesha

Pouya Khankhanian

Aug 8, 2009, 5:50:34 PM8/8/09

Website is back up! Thanks for all the hard work

Christopher

Aug 10, 2009, 8:41:28 AM8/10/09

Actually, it appears to be down again.

Aug 10, 2009, 9:57:43 AM8/10/09
On Aug 8, 8:48 am, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
...(snip)
> Bothwww.python.organd svn.python.org are down.  They're hosted on

> the same machine, and it seems to have run into disk problems and
> hasn't rebooted even after power-cycling.  Thomas Wouters will be
> visiting the machine physically tomorrow to try to diagnose the
> problem.

Oh stop lying MRAB, everybody knows Guido hosts Python.org from his
attic on an old Linux box :-)

MRAB

Aug 10, 2009, 10:13:12 AM8/10/09
to pytho...@python.org

That was a quote from A.M. Kuchling.

It's actually hosted on a matchbox-sized multi-core multi-terabyte
wifi-enabled Linux machine that Guido brought back from 2050.
Unfortunately, the dog ate it, so he's had to go and buy another one!
:-)

Aug 10, 2009, 12:09:17 PM8/10/09
On Aug 10, 9:13 am, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> r wrote:
> > On Aug 8, 8:48 am, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> > ...(snip)
> >> Bothwww.python.organdsvn.python.org are down.  They're hosted on

> >> the same machine, and it seems to have run into disk problems and
> >> hasn't rebooted even after power-cycling.  Thomas Wouters will be
> >> visiting the machine physically tomorrow to try to diagnose the
> >> problem.
>
> > Oh stop lying MRAB, everybody knows Guido hosts Python.org from his
> > attic on an old Linux box :-)
>
> That was a quote from A.M. Kuchling.
>
> It's actually hosted on a matchbox-sized multi-core multi-terabyte
> wifi-enabled Linux machine that Guido brought back from 2050.
> Unfortunately, the dog ate it, so he's had to go and buy another one!
> :-)

i just hope he gets one that has supported wifi drivers available! :-)

Piet van Oostrum

Aug 10, 2009, 3:38:39 PM8/10/09

>M> r wrote:
>>> On Aug 8, 8:48 am, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>>> ...(snip)
>>>
>>> Oh stop lying MRAB, everybody knows Guido hosts Python.org from his
>>> attic on an old Linux box :-)

>M> That was a quote from A.M. Kuchling.

>M> It's actually hosted on a matchbox-sized multi-core multi-terabyte
>M> wifi-enabled Linux machine that Guido brought back from 2050.
>M> Unfortunately, the dog ate it, so he's had to go and buy another one!

The 2050 models can run on the internal heat of a dog !!
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: pi...@vanoostrum.org