build a static python executable on linux?

Alexandre Gillet

Sep 29, 2003, 6:42:34 PM9/29/03

I am trying to build a python interpreter that is static link.
My python interpreter was build on RedHat 8.0 using gcc 2.3 and GLIBC 2.3
When running on other linux flavor that still have GLIBC 2.2, the
interpreter won't start. (error message: /lib/libc.so.6: version
`GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /mgl/python/i86Linux2/bin/python2.3)

Is there a way to build a static python interpreter using gcc 2.3 that
can run on any machine and won't need a shared library at runtime?

I want to be able to build my interpreter on my redhat machine and
distribute my executable that can then be run on other machine without
having to worry about the version of glibc.

Thanks for any help or idea in advances.

Alex
gil...@scripps.edu

Christos TZOTZIOY

Sep 29, 2003, 7:03:30 PM9/29/03
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:42:34 -0700, rumours say that Alexandre Gillet
<gil...@scripps.edu> might have written:

>I am trying to build a python interpreter that is static link.
>My python interpreter was build on RedHat 8.0 using gcc 2.3 and GLIBC 2.3
>When running on other linux flavor that still have GLIBC 2.2, the
>interpreter won't start. (error message: /lib/libc.so.6: version
>`GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /mgl/python/i86Linux2/bin/python2.3)

I believe you should install the glibc-static-devel package and then
find the approprate options for gcc (my noisy linux computer is turned
off now so I can't man gcc, but IIRC is -static :) in order to build a
static python.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,

Alexandre Gillet

Sep 29, 2003, 7:39:54 PM9/29/03
I am able to compile a static interpreter (using -static -static-libgcc)
but I can not build the extensions correctly.
When I import an extensions (ie Tkinter, readline) I get undefine
symbol error. It seems the symbol should be define in glibc but the
extensions can't seems to find it.

Any ideas how I should built the extensions

Thanks
Alex

Michael Hudson

Sep 30, 2003, 10:31:40 AM9/30/03
Alexandre Gillet <gil...@scripps.edu> writes:

> I am able to compile a static interpreter (using -static
> -static-libgcc) but I can not build the extensions correctly.
> When I import an extensions (ie Tkinter, readline) I get undefine
> symbol error. It seems the symbol should be define in glibc but the
> extensions can't seems to find it.
>
> Any ideas how I should built the extensions

By editing Modules/Setup, I suspect.

Cheers,
mwh

--
I'm sorry, was my bias showing again? :-)
-- William Tanksley, 13 May 2000

Skip Montanaro

Sep 30, 2003, 10:03:45 AM9/30/03

Alex> I am able to compile a static interpreter (using -static
Alex> -static-libgcc) but I can not build the extensions correctly.

You effectively need to transport yourself back in time before distutils
existed, and modify Modules/Setup (or more correctly, Modules/Setup.local)
appropriately to define the build commands for all the extension modules you
want to include in your interpreter. It's a little tedious the first time
(it will probably take a few iterations to get everything correct), but once
you get the hang of it, it's easy to do. Use the compile and link commands
output by distutils to give yourself a head start on -I, -L and -l flags to
include in your definitions. Many of the commented out definitions are
probably also close.

If you identify some modules with no commented out build definitions in the
Setup file, please file a bug report on SourceForge.

Skip

Alexandre Gillet

Sep 30, 2003, 12:42:55 PM9/30/03
to sk...@pobox.com, pytho...@python.org
Thanks for the hints.
But I think it will too much work to do now and not enough time. So I
will probably build my interperter with a older version of glibc so I am
sure it will run on all the linux platform and not only the one using
glibc 2.3

Thanks
Alex

--