static python build?

mu...@vex.net

Aug 6, 2004, 9:36:44 AM8/6/04
to pytho...@python.org
How do I build Python so that I get static libraries instead of dynamic
libraries (e.g. build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.3/math.so)?

John

Michael Hudson

Aug 6, 2004, 9:41:13 AM8/6/04
mu...@vex.net writes:

> How do I build Python so that I get static libraries instead of dynamic
> libraries (e.g. build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.3/math.so)?

Edit Modules/Setup. The comments in the file should get you started.

Cheers,
mwh

--
Monte Carlo sampling is no way to understand code.
-- Gordon McMillan, comp.lang.python

mu...@vex.net

Aug 6, 2004, 12:49:36 PM8/6/04
to Michael Hudson, pytho...@python.org, cx-free...@lists.sourceforge.net, ant...@computronix.com
Yes, thanks!, it was easy. I just edited Modules/Setup as follows:

(1) Changed the commented *shared* line to the *static* line (see below).

(2) Uncommented the modules (math, time, array) that I wanted incorporated
into the static libpython.a library.

(3) Added lines for a couple other modules (strop & _random) that
previously weren't listed in the Setup file.

(4) Reran configure, make & make install. It works!

Now I can run freeze.py and build a truly stand-alone executable including
the modules I mentioned.

Here's a section of Modules/Setup with my changes:
# Uncommenting the following line tells makesetup that all following #
modules are to be built as shared libraries (see above for more
# detail; also note that *static* reverses this effect):

*static*

# Modules that should always be present (non UNIX dependent):

array arraymodule.c # array objects
#cmath cmathmodule.c # -lm # complex math library functions
math mathmodule.c # -lm # math library functions, e.g. sin()
#struct structmodule.c # binary structure packing/unpacking
time timemodule.c # -lm # time operations and variables
#operator operator.c # operator.add() and similar goodies
#_weakref _weakref.c # basic weak reference support
#_testcapi _testcapimodule.c # Python C API test module
strop stropmodule.c
_random _randommodule.c

Michael Hudson

Aug 7, 2004, 10:09:32 AM8/7/04
mu...@vex.net writes:

> Yes, thanks!, it was easy. I just edited Modules/Setup as follows:
>
> (1) Changed the commented *shared* line to the *static* line (see below).
>
> (2) Uncommented the modules (math, time, array) that I wanted incorporated
> into the static libpython.a library.
>
> (3) Added lines for a couple other modules (strop & _random) that
> previously weren't listed in the Setup file.

I'm a bit surprised strop wasn't in there. _random probably should
be, too. File a bug on SF?

Cheers,
mwh

--