RELEASED Python 2.5 (alpha 1)

Anthony Baxter

Apr 5, 2006, 8:48:00 AM4/5/06
to pytho...@python.org, pytho...@python.org, python-...@python.org
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python
community, I'm happy to announce the first alpha release
of Python 2.5.

This is an *alpha* release of Python 2.5, and is the *first*
alpha release. As such, it is not suitable for a production
environment. It is being released to solicit feedback and
hopefully discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine
how changes in 2.5 might impact you. If you find things broken
or incorrect, please log a bug on Sourceforge.

In particular, note that changes to improve Python's support
of 64 bit systems might require authors of C extensions to change
their code. More information (as well as source distributions and
Windows installers) are available from the 2.5 website:

http://www.python.org/2.5/

The plan from here is for a number of additional alpha releases,
followed by one or more beta releases and moving to a 2.5 final
release around August. PEP 356 includes the schedule and will be
updated as the schedule evolves.

The new features in Python 2.5 are described in Andrew Kuchling's
What's New In Python 2.5. It's available from the 2.5 web page.

Amongst the language features added include conditional expressions,
the with statement, the merge of try/except and try/finally into
try/except/finally, enhancements to generators to produce a
coroutine kind of functionality, and a brand new AST-based compiler
implementation.

New major modules added include hashlib, ElementTree, sqlite3
and ctypes. In addition, a new profiling module cProfile was
added.

A large number of bugs, regressions and reference leaks have
been fixed since Python 2.4. See the release notes for more.

Enjoy this new (alpha!) release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
ant...@python.org
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

Michael Ekstrand

Apr 5, 2006, 9:34:28 AM4/5/06
to pytho...@python.org
After reading AMK's survey of what's new in Python 2.5, I am suitably
impressed. As usual, I can't wait to start using the cool new
features... extended generators? (mind is currently swimming with the
question of "can I implement Scheme's call-with-current-continuation
using extended generators".)

Anyway, the more important question that came to mind: I see that 2.5
will include the excellent ElementTree. Will cElementTree be included
where available? or is it only the pure-Python version that will be in
the standard library?

- Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
-- Fortune

Gerhard Häring

Apr 5, 2006, 9:39:54 AM4/5/06
to pytho...@python.org
Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> [...]

> Anyway, the more important question that came to mind: I see that 2.5
> will include the excellent ElementTree. Will cElementTree be included
> where available? or is it only the pure-Python version that will be in
> the standard library?

Both elementtree as (xml.etree) and cElementTree (as _elementtree) are
included.

-- Gerhard

Michele Simionato

Apr 5, 2006, 9:41:45 AM4/5/06
Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> After reading AMK's survey of what's new in Python 2.5, I am suitably
> impressed. As usual, I can't wait to start using the cool new
> features... extended generators? (mind is currently swimming with the
> question of "can I implement Scheme's call-with-current-continuation
> using extended generators".)

No.

Fredrik Lundh

Apr 5, 2006, 10:57:35 AM4/5/06
to pytho...@python.org
Michael Ekstrand wrote:

> Anyway, the more important question that came to mind: I see that 2.5
> will include the excellent ElementTree. Will cElementTree be included
> where available? or is it only the pure-Python version that will be in
> the standard library?

they're both available, via the "xml.etree" namespace:

>>> import xml.etree.ElementTree
>>> import xml.etree.cElementTree

we've also modified things so that cElementTree uses the expat instance
provided by pyexpat (via runtime linking), rather than it's own copy.

</F>

Robert Hicks

Apr 5, 2006, 12:35:17 PM4/5/06
That is cool and that will be a great addition to the libraries.

Robert

bearoph...@lycos.com

Apr 5, 2006, 3:29:52 PM4/5/06
There are lot of new things!
Is Hettinger's collections.bag going in Python 2.5 too?

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/259174

Bye,
bearophile

Michael Ekstrand

Apr 5, 2006, 4:43:13 PM4/5/06
to pytho...@python.org

Oh well. I'll try not to think too hard about it then.

The day Python (without using Stackless) has true continuations will be
a happy day.

Michele Simionato

Apr 6, 2006, 5:02:39 AM4/6/06
Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> Michele Simionato wrote:
> > Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> >> After reading AMK's survey of what's new in Python 2.5, I am suitably
> >> impressed. As usual, I can't wait to start using the cool new
> >> features... extended generators? (mind is currently swimming with the
> >> question of "can I implement Scheme's call-with-current-continuation
> >> using extended generators".)
> >
> > No.
>
> Oh well. I'll try not to think too hard about it then.
>
> The day Python (without using Stackless) has true continuations will be
> a happy day.

It is interesting that the support for full continuations was removed
in recent
versions of Stackless (I think there was support in version 1, not in
versions
2 and 3, but I am not a Stackless user so please correct me if I am
wrong).

Coroutines give you more control on your program flow, but not as much
as
full continuations. With full continuations you can store the current
state
of your program (with some restrictions, the program should not have
side effects or interact with an external environment) and at a later
time
in
points that your program has already travelled) whereas with coroutine
you can go just in one direction in the time. A nice thing you can do
with full continuations is a modal Web server
(seehttp://www.double.co.nz/scheme/modal-web-server.html).
But this is definitely OT for this thread, so let me stop here ;)

Michele Simionato

Terry Reedy

Apr 6, 2006, 1:33:10 PM4/6/06
to pytho...@python.org

"Michele Simionato" <michele....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Michael Ekstrand wrote:
>> The day Python (without using Stackless) has true continuations will be
>> a happy day.

Don't hold your breath. Guido regards 'true continuations' as complexity
overload for the typical programmer and has declared (on one his Artima
blog posts, for instance, recently) that he will never add them to core
Python.

tjr