Python book for a non-programmer

Simon Brunning

Nov 25, 2005, 5:48:59 AM11/25/05
to Python Users
I have a non-programming friend who wants to learn Python. It's been
so long since I've been in her shoes that I don't feel qualified to
judge the books aimed at people in her situation. I know of two such
books:

<http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/>
<http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/>

Any recommendations, or otherwise?

--
Cheers,
Simon B,

lbolo...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2005, 6:00:06 AM11/25/05

Simon Brunning wrote:
> I have a non-programming friend who wants to learn Python. It's been
> so long since I've been in her shoes that I don't feel qualified to
> judge the books aimed at people in her situation. I know of two such
> books:

These are not books but a very good intro to programming in general
(http://hetland.org/python/instant-hacking.php) and to Python basics
(http://hetland.org/python/instant-python.php).

I also liked A Byte of Python which, instead, is a full book:
http://www.byteofpython.info/

Lorenzo

shane.m...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2005, 6:23:33 AM11/25/05

BartlebyScrivener

Nov 25, 2005, 6:36:34 AM11/25/05

If you want real (dead-tree) books, you will find Chris Fehily's Visual
Quickstart Guide recommended by others here (though it's ageing -
2002). I'm about 2/3 through and it's been great for me:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0201748843/richarddooling/

And a brand new one which I just ordered: Beginning Python (Programmer
To Programmer) which despite the title has a great intro to programming
before it quickly accelerates:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0764596543/richarddooling/

Cheers,

bs

Simon Brunning

Nov 25, 2005, 7:40:54 AM11/25/05
to shane.m...@gmail.com, pytho...@python.org
On 25 Nov 2005 03:23:33 -0800, shane.m...@gmail.com

I wouldn't have thought either of those was suitable for a
non-programmer. Great for cross-trainers, yes, but neither is intended
as a programming tutorial.

Luis M. Gonzalez

Nov 25, 2005, 7:58:37 AM11/25/05

Shane

Nov 25, 2005, 8:58:23 AM11/25/05
Simon Brunning wrote:
> I wouldn't have thought either of those was suitable for a
> non-programmer. Great for cross-trainers, yes, but neither is intended
> as a programming tutorial.

I agree, I just thought that the other replies had provided more than
enough resources to cover the basics, so I was just suggesting some
material that could be used when the basics had been absorbed.

Sorry about the confusion.

Kent Johnson

Nov 25, 2005, 9:45:42 AM11/25/05
Simon Brunning wrote:
> I have a non-programming friend who wants to learn Python. It's been
> so long since I've been in her shoes that I don't feel qualified to
> judge the books aimed at people in her situation.

Python Programming for the absolute beginner
http://premierpressbooks.com/ptr_detail.cfm?group=Programming&isbn=1%2D59200%2D073%2D8

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science
http://www.fbeedle.com/99-6.html

And the Introductory Books page in the wiki lists many:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

Kent

Message has been deleted