Python Imaging Library download link broken?

peter

Jun 27, 2009, 5:52:44 AM6/27/09
Just got a new computer and I'm trying to download my favourite
applications. All's well until I get to PIL, and here pythonware and
effbot both return a 502 Proxy error.

Is this just a temporary glitch, or something more serious? And if
it's the latter, is there any alternative source?

Peter

olivergeorge

Jun 27, 2009, 7:53:55 AM6/27/09
Ditto. Anyone know what's happening with pythonware? (and why PIL is
such a pain to install for that matter.)

Scott David Daniels

Jun 27, 2009, 4:02:22 PM6/27/09
olivergeorge wrote:
> Ditto. Anyone know what's happening with pythonware? (and why PIL is
> such a pain to install for that matter.)

(1) It is usually there; be patient.
(2) I suggest you demand a refund.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott....@Acm.Org

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jun 29, 2009, 1:44:17 AM6/29/09
In message <976cc575-80b9-406a-
ae4d-03c...@p36g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, olivergeorge wrote:

> (and why PIL is such a pain to install for that matter.)

"apt-get install python-imaging", anybody?

John Machin

Jun 29, 2009, 2:28:39 AM6/29/09
On Jun 28, 6:02 am, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Dani...@Acm.Org> wrote:
> olivergeorge wrote:
> > Ditto.  Anyone know what's happening with pythonware?  (and why PIL is
> > such a pain to install for that matter.)
>

> (2) I suggest you demand a refund.

... and tell us what the response was :-)

Tim Harig

Jun 29, 2009, 3:02:53 AM6/29/09
On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> "apt-get install python-imaging", anybody?

C:\>apt-get install python-imaging
Bad command or file name

Nope.

01:10,501$ apt-get install python-imaging
bash: apt-get: command not found

Not quite; but, it does give me an idea. Debian usually keeps the
origional source packages in their package repositories:

02:09,502,(1)$ wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-imaging/python1.1.5.orig.tar.gz
=> `python-imaging_1.1.5.orig.tar.gz'
Resolving ftp.de.debian.org... 141.76.2.4
Connecting to ftp.de.debian.org|141.76.2.4|:80... connected.
Length: 429,570 (420K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[=========================================>] 429,570 246.97K/s

02:09:43 (246.26 KB/s) - `python-imaging_1.1.5.orig.tar.gz' saved [429570/429570]

01:10,503$

Now that's the ticket!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jun 29, 2009, 7:21:12 AM6/29/09
In message <xGZ1m.1934$Wj7...@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:

> On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> wrote:
>
>> "apt-get install python-imaging", anybody?
>
> C:\>apt-get install python-imaging
> Bad command or file name

Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.

Tim Harig

Jun 29, 2009, 8:13:13 AM6/29/09
On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.

Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
the depency database corrupted itself. Since then, I have learned to
install using whatever package manager but to upgrade or install new
packages from source.

peter

Jun 29, 2009, 8:54:19 AM6/29/09
Whilst this is an interesting discussion about installers, I'm still
trying to find a copy of PIL. Any ideas?

Tim Harig

Jun 29, 2009, 9:25:21 AM6/29/09
On 2009-06-29, peter <peter....@talk21.com> wrote:
> Whilst this is an interesting discussion about installers, I'm still
> trying to find a copy of PIL. Any ideas?

I alluded to a source version below. It will compile on Windows as well as
on *nix.

Google finds what looks like older versions here:

http://sping.sourceforge.net/PIL/

geo

Jun 29, 2009, 2:42:11 PM6/29/09
On Jun 29, 2:54 pm, peter <peter.mos...@talk21.com> wrote:
> Whilst this is an interesting discussion about installers, I'm still
> trying to find a copy of PIL.  Any ideas?

Hello,

I had the very same problem and found this:

http://www.portablepython.com/

It contains PIL and some other cool stuff. Hope it helps.

George

peter

Jun 29, 2009, 4:57:48 PM6/29/09
Thanks for this - looks promising. But I've just tried pythonware
again and it's back up - so it was just a glitch after all.

Peter

Piet van Oostrum

Jun 29, 2009, 5:12:09 PM6/29/09

>p> Whilst this is an interesting discussion about installers, I'm still
>p> trying to find a copy of PIL. Any ideas?

Pythonware is up again:

http://pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: pi...@vanoostrum.org

magicus

Jun 29, 2009, 7:12:35 PM6/29/09
On Mon Jun 29 2009 07:21:12 GMT-0400 (EDT) Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> typed:

:-P

It works here in the sense that it reports that there is nothing to do
as it is already installed.

ciao,

"Hell, if you understood everything I say, you'd be me."
-- Miles Davis

Tim Roberts

Jun 30, 2009, 12:23:57 AM6/30/09

Surprisingly, this appears to have been caused by the death of Michael
Jackson. The burden of people sending messages, downloading videos, buying
albums, etc., has crippled the Internet worldwide.

AT&T reported at its peak that there were more than 60,000 text messages
PER SECOND being sent regarding Jackson.
--
Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jun 30, 2009, 4:16:02 AM6/30/09
In message <td22m.1717$8r....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:

> On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> wrote:
>> Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.
>
> Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
> started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
> the depency database corrupted itself.

I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over about
the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency database
corruption of which you speak.

If you thought they were "all the rage" before, they're pretty much
mandatory now.

Tim Harig

Jun 30, 2009, 4:28:14 AM6/30/09
On 2009-06-30, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <td22m.1717$8r....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:
>> On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
>> wrote:
>>> Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.
>> Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
>> started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
>> the depency database corrupted itself.
> I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
> SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over about
> the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency database
> corruption of which you speak.

Its usually referred to as RPM hell (like DLL hell) although it can happen
to DEB packages as well. You end up in a situation with cyclic
dependencies where you cannot delete one application because it depends on
a second but you cannot remove the second because it depends on the first.

What can I say. It happens. It happened to me.

> If you thought they were "all the rage" before, they're pretty much
> mandatory now.

I have been happy for years using my own heavily modified version of
Slackware for installing the base system. After that, I install everything
from source.

Incidently, a similar discussion has started in a subthread of
comp.unix.shell.

Steven D'Aprano

Jun 30, 2009, 4:48:34 AM6/30/09
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:16:02 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <td22m.1717$8r....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:
>
>> On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
>> wrote:
>>> Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.
>>
>> Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I
>> first started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked
>> great until the depency database corrupted itself.
>
> I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
> SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over
> about the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency
> database corruption of which you speak.

Really? I've seen it, or at least something that looks like it if you
squint. In my experience, it can usually be fixed by:

yum clean all

on recent Redhat based systems. Worst case, there may be a lockfile that
needs deleting as well.

--
Steven

Tim Harig

Jun 30, 2009, 4:56:16 AM6/30/09
On 2009-06-30, Steven D'Aprano <ste...@REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:16:02 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <td22m.1717$8r....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:
>>> Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I
>>> first started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked
>>> great until the depency database corrupted itself.
>> I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
>> SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over
>> about the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency
>> database corruption of which you speak.
> Really? I've seen it, or at least something that looks like it if you
> squint. In my experience, it can usually be fixed by:
> yum clean all

Yum wasn't available then and I have never used it. Maybe it does a better
job these days. I don't know. I get along fine without it.

David Lyon

Jun 30, 2009, 8:44:06 AM6/30/09
to pytho...@python.org

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce a GUI package manager (v 0.12) for
Python versions 2.x under Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/

It's tightly linked to the pypi repository and offers
the following functions:

- search packages on pypi by name

- install (via easyinstall or pip)

- deinstall/remove packages

- see package documentation

- see package examples

- install .EGG packages

- Generate package manifest

If you find any issues, please don't hesitate to report
them via our tracker on the project page.

Regards

David

Daniel Fetchinson

Jun 30, 2009, 12:56:19 PM6/30/09