can someone tell me about...

Kia Arab

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
variable names that start an underscore "_".

Interactively, python will recognize a variable name that begins with
one underscore (_myVar). The variable naming rules even say that is
acceptable.

However, when I try to use it in a module, it bombs.

What's the deal?

Robin Dunn

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

> Interactively, python will recognize a variable name that begins with
> one underscore (_myVar). The variable naming rules even say that is
> acceptable.
>
> However, when I try to use it in a module, it bombs.

When you say "use it in a module" do you mean like this:

from the_module import *
print _myVar

If so then that is normal as names begining with an underscore are not
imported with the *, (it's a way to help prevent namespace pollution.) On
the other hand, this should work:

import the_module
print the_module._myVar

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Fredrik Lundh

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Kia Arab <ka...@stsci.edu> wrote:
> variable names that start an underscore "_".
>
> Interactively, python will recognize a variable name that begins with
> one underscore (_myVar). The variable naming rules even say that is
> acceptable.
>
> However, when I try to use it in a module, it bombs.

"bombs"?

> What's the deal?

lousy subject line, no code sample, no error message,
vague description of the actual problem.

but alright, I'll guess: when you read this page:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/import.html

you missed the following sentence:

If the list of identifiers is replaced by a star ("*"), all
names defined in the module are bound, except those
beginning with an underscore ("_").

</F>

Kia Arab

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

Robin,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Moshe Zadka

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
to Kia Arab
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Kia Arab wrote:

> variable names that start an underscore "_".
>
> Interactively, python will recognize a variable name that begins with
> one underscore (_myVar). The variable naming rules even say that is
> acceptable.
>
> However, when I try to use it in a module, it bombs.

Please give an example of the "bombinh". I suspect you do
"from module import *".

Solutions:

a) don't do it
b) read the language ref. about from module import *, and names that begin
with underscore.
--
Moshe Zadka <mza...@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html