What do I look for in a shared Python host?

walterbyrd

Nov 17, 2006, 8:56:43 PM11/17/06
For example:

- If I want to use Django, I need either FastCGI or Apache
2.X/mod_python 3.x

- if I want to use TurboGears, I need Python 2.4: not 2.3 and not 2.5

- I have just learned that some hosters have T&Cs that forbid long
running processes. I am not sure exactly what that means. Except I
understand it can be a problem if using Cherrypy/TurboGears

- I have read that mod_python before 3.x can be difficult

What other "gotchas" would I look for?

Gregor Horvath

Nov 18, 2006, 1:26:06 AM11/18/06
walterbyrd schrieb:

> What other "gotchas" would I look for?

Maybe this is helpfull for you:

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/Hosting

--
Greg

gabor

Nov 18, 2006, 4:16:11 AM11/18/06

Fuzzyman

Nov 18, 2006, 2:15:28 PM11/18/06

The best host for Python (including Django and Turbogears), try
webfaction. They used to be known as Python-hosting.com and offer great
support for Python.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/index2.shtml

Chas Emerick

Nov 18, 2006, 9:59:01 PM11/18/06
to pytho...@python.org
On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:25 PM, dimitri pater wrote:

> Hi,
> is there any reason for you wanting to use a shared host? Just
> asking..
> Maybe you could use a VPS as this is not too expensive these days.
> Of course, it would require more work to set things up. But it's
> not too hard... (eg using apt-get,webmin,some basic Linux skills
> using the command line)
> regards,
> Dimitri
> (I use a VPS at rimuhostig ($20/month), but there are many, many more)

I would absolutely second rimuhosting. We have a bunch of VPS' and
dedicated boxes there, and they've been great. As Dimitri suggests,
you can get a $20/mo VPS that would do straightforward web hosting
without a problem (certainly what you could get out of a shared
account at most service levels).

- Chas

metaperl

Nov 20, 2006, 9:19:04 AM11/20/06
Try our hosting cooperative. We are a not-for-profit hosting service:

http://www.HCOOP.net