Book Advice

Mike

Mar 22, 2007, 9:31:29 AM3/22/07

I'm currently a fairly strong programmer in C++ and .NET and I need to
start learning prolog, could anyone recommend any decent books for
starting out with prolog please? If possible a book that has tasks for
the reader to complete at the end of every chapter would be great.

Also could someone explain what the different types of prolog are? Is
there just one standard? I think I will be using SWI-prolog, I take it
this is just an interpreter and not a language standard? Im confused
because ive read different things about prolog being both compiled and
interpreted :(

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

Jan Wielemaker

Mar 22, 2007, 3:59:03 PM3/22/07
On 2007-03-22, Mike <Mikel...@powerpound.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently a fairly strong programmer in C++ and .NET and I need to
> start learning prolog, could anyone recommend any decent books for
> starting out with prolog please? If possible a book that has tasks for
> the reader to complete at the end of every chapter would be great.

Not sure about a beginners book. `Bratko' is often used. Once you
get more experienced, buy `The craft of Prolog'. Next to writing your
own compiler this is certainly the best book I know to understand Prolog
at a level you need for doing proper software development.

> Also could someone explain what the different types of prolog are? Is
> there just one standard? I think I will be using SWI-prolog, I take it
> this is just an interpreter and not a language standard? Im confused
> because ive read different things about prolog being both compiled and
> interpreted :(

Prolog is a language. You can, like any other language, interpret it and
compile it. In practice most implementation are somewhere in between:
like Java, C#, Python, Perl and many other languages, they compile to a
virtual machine. Most of the abstract machines used for Prolog are at
least inspired by the WAM (Warren Abstract Machine). Some compile to
native code. Some use a dynamic mixture (hotspot compilation).

Success --- Jan

Carlo Capelli

Mar 23, 2007, 3:53:34 AM3/23/07
"Mike" <Mikel...@powerpound.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently a fairly strong programmer in C++ and .NET and I need to
> start learning prolog, could anyone recommend any decent books for
> starting out with prolog please? If possible a book that has tasks for
> the reader to complete at the end of every chapter would be great.
>
> Also could someone explain what the different types of prolog are? Is
> there just one standard? I think I will be using SWI-prolog, I take it
> this is just an interpreter and not a language standard? Im confused
> because ive read different things about prolog being both compiled and
> interpreted :(

Given your background I think that you could give a try to P#
(http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/stg/research/Psharp/).
This is a port from PrologCafe with some extension, and given that major
vendors are investing in .NET,
could be a practical one for test, although not currently mantained.
It spots some extension to ISO prolog, like multithreading and linear logic.
I found linear logic isn't easy to understand, but I think it's
representative of the extensions
the language has gained through the years. Anyway, LINQ will be probably the
mandatory choice in .NET...

Bye Carlo

A.L.

Mar 24, 2007, 9:17:10 AM3/24/07
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:53:34 +0100, "Carlo Capelli"
<carlo....@rdbos.it> wrote:

>"Mike" <Mikel...@powerpound.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently a fairly strong programmer in C++ and .NET and I need to
>> start learning prolog, could anyone recommend any decent books for
>> starting out with prolog please? If possible a book that has tasks for
>> the reader to complete at the end of every chapter would be great.
>>
>> Also could someone explain what the different types of prolog are? Is
>> there just one standard? I think I will be using SWI-prolog, I take it
>> this is just an interpreter and not a language standard? Im confused
>> because ive read different things about prolog being both compiled and
>> interpreted :(
>
>Given your background I think that you could give a try to P#
>(http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/stg/research/Psharp/).

I don't reccomend.

Good start is getting Amzi Prolog and going through their tutorial
named "Adventure in Prolog". Go to

www.amzi.com

stuff is free.

A.L.