creating subdomains using php

sharma

Jan 12, 2005, 1:47:56 AM1/12/05
Hi all,

I have a site called www.example.com. I would like to offer free hoting
to the people and offer a site with their username like this.
www.username.example.com. Please can any one here tell me how to
accomplish this using php ?

Thanks,
sharma

Dani CS

Jan 12, 2005, 4:51:42 AM1/12/05

This is not done with PHP.

Apache can handle dynamic virtual hosts, which is what you want. Please
check <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/>.

> Thanks,
> sharma

sharma

Jan 12, 2005, 7:05:04 AM1/12/05
Hi Dani,

When a user submits the registration form , how did this virtual host
create from php script? Any idea...

Thanks,
sharma

Dani CS

Jan 12, 2005, 7:20:52 AM1/12/05
sharma wrote:
> Hi Dani,
>
> When a user submits the registration form , how did this virtual host
> create from php script? Any idea...

Read the documentation about mass dynamic virtual hosts and then figure
it out.

It involves creating a directory (php: mkdir()) and probably assigning
it the proper permissions (php: chmod()). Good luck!

Taken from the Apache docs:

<quote src="http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/mass.html#motivation">
2. Adding virtual hosts is simply a matter of creating the
appropriate directories in the filesystem and entries in the DNS - you
don't need to reconfigure or restart Apache.
</quote>

About the DNS thing, I can't help you. Depending on your case it might
even be unnecessary. Anyways, this is not the best newsgroup for that
matter.

> Thanks,
> sharma

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Jan 12, 2005, 12:51:08 PM1/12/05
sharma wrote:
> Hi Dani,
>
> When a user submits the registration form , how did this virtual host
> create from php script? Any idea...

Usually, they won't. There are lots of way to do it with virtual
host directive. Most simplest thing is to use ServerAlias...

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName example.com
ServerAlias *.example.com
</VirtualHost>

Now, anything like a.example.com or b.example.com will be served
with example.com's content.

Now, you actually want to serve different pages for a.example.com
and b.example.com. So, you have to see what is the requested subdomain
(whether it's "a" or "b"). In PHP, you can see it through $_SERVER
variables or may again use mod_rewrite to send the subdomain request to
a php file as query string like index.php?subdomain=%1 or so.

So, you basically have only one index.php file, but will have
different requests coming (via subdomain). index.php can serve
different pages depending upon the request.

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

^demon

Jan 12, 2005, 1:01:48 PM1/12/05
You would need to find what the required text in httpd.conf is, and
then have your script write to httpd.conf the required value. Seems
quite insecure though.

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Jan 12, 2005, 1:21:44 PM1/12/05

Sorry, I don't understand what are you talking about. Could you be
more specific?