verify email address

vishal

Apr 2, 2005, 6:09:07 AM4/2/05
how can i verify the email address entered by client???

is there any readily available function for that in php or mysql?????

else suggest me some links for verifying email address enetered by
client.

thxs for help in advance.

Daniel Tryba

Apr 2, 2005, 6:29:04 AM4/2/05
vishal <vishal_...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> how can i verify the email address entered by client???
>
> is there any readily available function for that in php or mysql?????
>
> else suggest me some links for verifying email address enetered by
> client.

It has been asked many times before in comp.lang.php use the archives.

But in short, the only way to really verify is to send a challenge to
the address that could be solved by a program. The text hidden in images
solution comes to mind...

Andy Hassall

Apr 2, 2005, 6:31:29 AM4/2/05
On 2 Apr 2005 03:09:07 -0800, "vishal" <vishal_...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>how can i verify the email address entered by client???

Verify what about it?

>is there any readily available function for that in php or mysql?????
>
>else suggest me some links for verifying email address enetered by
>client.

Without sending an email, you can check it's syntactically correct, and that's
about it. This is Asked Frequently.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=php+verify+email+address
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=php+verify+email+address

If you want to make sure a human is reading it, send an email containing a URL
to a page on your site with a unique identifier, and ask the person to visit
the URL. You'd have saved the ID when sending the email, then later if the URL
is visited, you can mark that email address as "verified".

--
Andy Hassall / <an...@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Apr 2, 2005, 3:50:41 PM4/2/05
Q: How can I check the validity of the email address?
A:
1. Use regular expressions to check the format/syntax of email
address.
2. Use SMTP's VRFY or EXPN command. Note, many turn off this command
for spam abuse.
3. Use checkdnsrr() or getmxrr() to see if the domain has MX records;
and then check if the domain exists.
4. Send a real email to the user, but with an activation URL.

Caveats:
(1) can check only the format and doesn't check if the domain exists or
not
(3) checks only the domain
(4) is the only (right) approach to see if the user uses is own-valid
email address.

Refer:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html
http://www.network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=validate&host=te...@example.com
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Email-Address-Verification-with-PHP/
http://www.php.net/checkdnsrr
http://www.php.net/getmxrr

mlemos

Apr 3, 2005, 2:10:13 PM4/3/05
Hello,

on 04/02/2005 08:09 AM vishal said the following:

> how can i verify the email address entered by client???
>

> is there any readily available function for that in php or mysql?????
>

> else suggest me some links for verifying email address enetered by
> client.

You can use this class that can be used to validate an e-mail address
as you need:

http://www.phpclasses.org/emailvalidation

--

Regards,