[FAQ] PHP installation

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Mar 16, 2005, 12:34:01 PM3/16/05
Q: How to run PHP?
A:
1. Use command line php and pass php file as an argument. Hardly used.
2. Run with an webserver preferably Apache. (Access via browser like
http://localhost/foo.php )

Q: Where to get PHP?
Q: How to install PHP?
A: Install the webserver first. Apache is available at
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
Stable PHP version is available at http://www.php.net/downloads.php
Windows users should note that the installer/exe version is CGI alone;
for mod_php (aka SAPI), has to download zip version.

Refer:
http://www.php.net/install
http://cvs.php.net/co.php/php-src/INSTALL
http://www.php.net/faq.installation

Q: How to install PHP quickly?
A: XAMPP, a 3rd party provides extensive installation bundle that helps
the user to install PHP, MySQL, Apache and many extensions in just one
click.

Refer:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Q: Where to get up-to-date PHP builds?
Windows: http://snaps.php.net/win32/php5-win32-latest.zip
Linux: http://snaps.php.net/php5-latest.tar.gz
Caveats:
These developement versions may not be stable to use in production.

Q: Where to get old PHP versions?
A: http://museum.php.net/

Q: When using a PHP function, I'm getting "Fatal error: Call to
undefined function xxxx()".
A: This says that the function is not available or not enabled. Using
manual find the extension name that this function belongs to.
Windows: Open your php.ini and uncomment that extension dll file (eg,
extension=php_curl.dll).
Linux: Compile your php source with that library

Q: Why I'm getting unparsed PHP file in browser?
A: You might not have instructed your Apache to parse PHP files. You
have to check httpd.conf

Refer:
http://www.php.net/faq.installation#faq.installation.processing