What editor is the most common in PHP developer?

Cylix

Aug 30, 2006, 9:18:10 AM8/30/06
I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

Binod Pant

Aug 30, 2006, 9:39:12 AM8/30/06
I use PHPDesigner . It's really cool, with syntax highlighting for PHP as
well as other languages. It's got options like running PHP code and
connecting to web server if you ca configure it. As for a newbie, it's
support for PHP commands/functions is awesome. Try it out.

"Cylix" <cyli...@gmail.com> wrote in message

mootmail-g...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2006, 9:41:25 AM8/30/06
I use Zend Studio.

la...@portcommodore.com

Aug 30, 2006, 9:42:44 AM8/30/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I think you will find a long list. Syntax Highlighting is a very nice
feature, auto indentation, etc.

I use Linux so am using many KDE tools such as the Quanta web
development environment which has the Kate Editor embedded. Very nice.

Larry

dawnerd

Aug 30, 2006, 9:48:44 AM8/30/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use Dreamweaver. Yes I know, hit me if you want.

Balaskas Evaggelos

Aug 30, 2006, 9:54:59 AM8/30/06
i use vi with Php Syntax Highlight

larry....@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2006, 10:51:37 AM8/30/06
Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use Eclipse with PHP extensions.

http://www.Eclipse.org
http://www.zend.com/phpide/

Open source and free. It does have syntax highlighting and a ton of
other features.

I also sometimes use notepad for quick edits.

IchBin

Aug 30, 2006, 10:57:08 AM8/30/06
I realize that asking which IDE is best is usually very subjective and
usually ends up as a Holy IDE war response. So here is my battle report.

The PHP Designer you are talking about is not the current version of PHP
Designer. The newest version was just released last week. It is called
'PHP Designer 2007'. This new release comes in two flavors: a free one
and a commercial one. The commercial one is actually has the same
functionality of the last free version. Now you will have to pay $69.00
or €55 EUR. I can not recomand this IDE anymore unless you have the 'PHP
Designer 2006 Beta' release. That said it still does not have an
interactive debugger.

As a Java programmer I been using Eclipse for the last two and a half
years.. Now that I am learning PHP it was natural for me to use the
Eclipse PHP plugin. It is a new Eclipse project but the Zend support
people are really putting together a nice plugin.

I also use PHPEdit. I was able to get a free copy for personal use.
This is a nice IDE but the new versions seems to run slower than the
prior release.

So, no matter what answers you get for your question. You will have to
test out the IDE's yourself to see which one meets you own needs..

--
Thanks in Advance...
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Rafe Culpin

Aug 30, 2006, 11:15:00 AM8/30/06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PHP_editors

--
To reply email rafe, at the address cix co uk

Andrew Poelstra

Aug 30, 2006, 11:22:16 AM8/30/06
"Cylix" <cyli...@gmail.com> writes:

> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use emacs; it has highlighting for all the languages I use (plus many,
many more), and it has a newsreader in it, so I don't even have to leave
my editor to post.

--
Andrew Poelstra <http://www.wpsoftware.net/projects>
To reach me by email, use `apoelstra' at the above domain.

Tim Van Wassenhove

Aug 30, 2006, 1:29:13 PM8/30/06
On 2006-08-30, Cylix <cyli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

Test them all yourself ;) And get the one that makes you the most
productive... Imho all decent editors are already half ide's these days
that give you syntax highlighting, formatting, auto completion,
intellisense, ...

A good place to start: <http://www.wiki.cc/php/Editors/>

I've been using UltraEdit, Eclipse (tried phpeclipse and trustudio plugins),
(And a whole lot of others that i'm not going to mention...)

Today i use gvim everywhere (e-mail, usenet, scripting, ...).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Tim Van Wassenhove <http://timvw.madoka.be>

Message has been deleted

onembk

Aug 30, 2006, 4:21:51 PM8/30/06
On 2006-08-30 07:18:10 -0600, "Cylix" <cyli...@gmail.com> said:

> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use UltraEdit under Windows and Vim and Zend Studio on OS X.
UltraEdit and Vim rock! I'm fairly new to Zend but I like it so far.

Petr Vileta

Aug 30, 2006, 6:56:49 PM8/30/06

I use Komodo http://www.activestate.com/ but, yes, it is not freeware ;-)

--

Petr Vileta, Czech republic
(My server rejects all messages from Yahoo and Hotmail. Send me your mail

BradChow

Aug 30, 2006, 11:32:36 PM8/30/06
I use Dreamweaver also. It can make you see PHP code and HTML frame
simultaneously.

malatestapunk

Aug 31, 2006, 1:35:01 AM8/31/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I used exclusively Notepad++ on Windows, Kate and elvis on Linux. Now I
use Eclipse more and more on both platforms - but lightweight editors
are still the best for some things.

Balaskas Evaggelos

Aug 31, 2006, 1:45:48 AM8/31/06
Benny wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:54:59 +0300, Balaskas Evaggelos wrote...

>> i use vi with Php Syntax Highlight
>
> If I can get access to the server with ssh I use vi also. Just familiar with
> that and very useful features. If I need a Windows based editor I've liked
> TextPad.
>
> Benny

with?

there is vi for windows too [0]

-ebal

[0] : ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe

Noodle

Aug 31, 2006, 4:01:02 AM8/31/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

If your using a mac, I recommend TextMate (http://macromates.com/).
Great for PHP and many other languages.

Robin

Aug 31, 2006, 4:07:29 AM8/31/06
Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use "MAX's HTML Beauty++ 2004". Yes, silly name but free and

"Advanced Customizable Syntax Highlighting for 22 different file types:
HTML, PHP, Cascading Stylesheets, JavaScript, VBScript, Perl, Python,
Tcl/Tk, Ruby, XML, SQL, TeX, Pascal, C++, C#, Java, Visual Basic, x86
Assembly, INI, MS-DOS Batch, UNIX Shell and AWK files."

See: http://www.htmlbeauty.com/

Robin

Tony Marston

Aug 31, 2006, 5:28:43 AM8/31/06
I use Zend Studio too.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net
http://www.radicore.org

<mootmail-g...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I use Zend Studio.

kkm...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2006, 12:01:47 PM8/31/06
Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

Homesite
http://www.adobe.com/products/homesite/

Some Addons to HomeSite
http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/php4hs.htm

Has the best color syntax for HTML with PHP because all the form tags
easy find a form to edit.

I have also been using http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/ but has no
FTP Suport

Message has been deleted

Johannes Matjeschk

Aug 31, 2006, 4:32:02 PM8/31/06

Balaskas Evaggelos schrieb:

> i use vi with Php Syntax Highlight

word!

Neo_neuro

Sep 1, 2006, 3:00:12 AM9/1/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

I use Zend Studio and also i use Notepad++ for quick edit...

Jerry Stuckle

Sep 1, 2006, 8:33:48 AM9/1/06
Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

edlin.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

ctiggerf

Sep 1, 2006, 9:36:25 AM9/1/06
You may want to take a look at Crimson Editor as well. I used to use
that for everything. Then I moved to Dreamweaver and it was nice .. but
for some reason it started to freeze my computer up when I did certain
operations .. never figured that out either .. I just stopped using it.
The only thing I miss is having my ftp client built into my editor.
But now that I'm getting into Flex Development .. I use solely Eclipse
for everything I do.

As for what is best ... that is personal opinion.

unwire...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2006, 10:54:42 AM9/1/06
PHPEdit. Free for personal use.

The best *ever*.

see waterproof.fr for more infos.
--
unwiredbrain

universalbitmapper

Sep 1, 2006, 1:53:46 PM9/1/06

Cylix wrote:
> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.

Hi

I use editplus.

Eclipse and Zend Studio, I tried, sounds like a sledgehammer to catch a
fly.

editplus does syntax highlighting, indentation, the basics.

it has a very small footprint on your hard disk

it respects your file extensions.

boclair

Sep 1, 2006, 9:54:11 PM9/1/06
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Cylix wrote:
>> I am newbie in PHP, Thanks for any advise.
>>

> edlin.

I realise you are taking the mickey, but, My Goodness, I haven't heard
that mentioned for yonks.

I had to double check the dateline of your post.

Louise

Gilles FEVRIER

Sep 2, 2006, 3:10:40 AM9/2/06
Hello,

PHPEdit.
http://www.waterproof.fr

I use it for both personnal and professional work. :)

Gilles

Jim Carlock

Sep 2, 2006, 8:33:28 PM9/2/06
"Tim Van Wassenhove" <ti...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> A good place to start: < www.wiki.cc/php/Editors >

> I've been using UltraEdit, Eclipse (tried phpeclipse and trustudio
> plugins), (And a whole lot of others that i'm not going to mention...)

Did you take a look at the link you posted ?

Try http://sourceforge.net/projects/scintilla/
Click on the Download button, then go to the SciTE link.

The SciTE editor works great for a lot of different software develop-
ment packages. Quick, fast, easy to use, and easy to update the
function api lists (no waiting for some vendor to do such things).

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

Rafe Culpin

Sep 3, 2006, 4:52:00 AM9/3/06