path_info - orig_path_info (PHP5?)

Chuck Anderson

Jul 1, 2006, 6:29:53 PM7/1/06
This may be more of an Apache question, but after an upgrade at my
remote host (one of them being from Php4 to Php5), $_SERVER['PATH_INFO']
no longer contains any data. Instead, the string I am looking for is in
$_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO'] (never heard of that one before - I found it
using phpinfo).

Example URL:
http://example.com/index.php/Keyword

Before the upgrade $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] would contain /Keyword. Now it
is blank, and there is a new server variable, $_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO']
that does contain /Keyword.

Is this a Php5 issue, ... an Apache issue, ... something else?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Csaba Gabor

Jul 1, 2006, 6:46:49 PM7/1/06
Chuck Anderson wrote:
> This may be more of an Apache question, but after an upgrade at my
> remote host (one of them being from Php4 to Php5), $_SERVER['PATH_INFO']
> no longer contains any data. Instead, the string I am looking for is in
> $_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO'] (never heard of that one before - I found it
> using phpinfo).
>
> Example URL:
> http://example.com/index.php/Keyword
>
> Before the upgrade $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] would contain /Keyword. Now it
> is blank, and there is a new server variable, $_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO']
> that does contain /Keyword.
>
> Is this a Php5 issue, ... an Apache issue, ... something else?

I don't think it's PHP, sounds like something else...
I just checked my php 5.2 / Apache 2 and it is returning the PATH_INFO
per your expectations (and no ORIG_PATH_INFO in sight).

Csaba Gabor from Vienna

Alvaro G. Vicario

Jul 2, 2006, 4:50:04 AM7/2/06
*** Chuck Anderson escribió/wrote (Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:29:53 -0600):
> This may be more of an Apache question, but after an upgrade at my
> remote host (one of them being from Php4 to Php5), $_SERVER['PATH_INFO']
> no longer contains any data. Instead, the string I am looking for is in
> $_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO'] (never heard of that one before - I found it
> using phpinfo).

Check this Apache directive:

AcceptPathInfo Directive
Syntax: AcceptPathInfo On|Off|Default
Default: AcceptPathInfo Default
Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess
Override: FileInfo
Module: core
Compatibility: Available in Apache 2.0.30 and later

--
-+ http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
++ Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com

Chuck Anderson

Jul 3, 2006, 5:12:37 PM7/3/06
I finally found something about this.

There seems to be a bug in Php when run as cgi that is not being addressed.
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31843

After reading that, I think the easiest thing for me to do now is make
my scripts check to see if PATH_INFO *or* ORIG_PATH_INFO is set.

Chuck Anderson

Jul 3, 2006, 6:24:55 PM7/3/06
Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:
> *** Chuck Anderson escribió/wrote (Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:29:53 -0600):
>
>> This may be more of an Apache question, but after an upgrade at my
>> remote host (one of them being from Php4 to Php5), $_SERVER['PATH_INFO']
>> no longer contains any data. Instead, the string I am looking for is in
>> $_SERVER['ORIG_PATH_INFO'] (never heard of that one before - I found it
>> using phpinfo).
>>

> Check this Apache directive:
>
> AcceptPathInfo Directive
> Syntax: AcceptPathInfo On|Off|Default
> Default: AcceptPathInfo Default
> Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess
> Override: FileInfo
> Module: core
> Compatibility: Available in Apache 2.0.30 and later
I was being a little daft here. Php is run as cgi on the server.