Unexpected MainWindow Behavior

Eric Amick

Feb 9, 2006, 8:58:24 PM2/9/06
This will probably reveal my ignorance of Tk more than anything, but
I'll risk it. Consider the following code:

use strict;
use Tk;

my $main = MainWindow->new(-title => "This is a test of a long title",
-width => 500);
MainLoop;

When I run this on a Windows XP box, the window's width is such that the
title is mostly obscured. On a Win98 box, on the other hand, the title
is fully visible. What's more, changing the -width option seems to have
no effect on the window width on XP. Am I missing something? (To the
best of my knowledge, both machines have the same version of Tk.)
--
Eric Amick
Columbia, MD

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 9, 2006, 9:18:00 PM2/9/06
Eric Amick <eric-...@comcast.net> writes in article %:

It's not uncommon for newbies to expect more from the -width option
than it can deliver. Check out the geometry() method in the Tk::Wm pod.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Ala Qumsieh

Feb 11, 2006, 3:35:57 PM2/11/06
Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> It's not uncommon for newbies to expect more from the -width option
> than it can deliver. Check out the geometry() method in the Tk::Wm pod.

This is not their fault. I would expect the -width option to work as
expected. There is no reason for it no to.

--Ala

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 11, 2006, 7:01:11 PM2/11/06
Ala Qumsieh <notv...@email.com> writes in article %:

Absolutely. I regret that what I wrote conveyed otherwise.