using Photo-method with a tiff-File

pit

Nov 19, 2009, 4:42:49 AM11/19/09
Hi Folks,

I want to create an image from a tiff-file with 1200 PPI with the
photo-method. This fails. for tiff-files with a lower resolution it
works. What can I do.

TIA
Pit

Oliver 'ojo' Bedford

Nov 19, 2009, 3:12:43 PM11/19/09

What is the error message you get? And how large is the file?
I don't have problems displaying tiff files of 65 MB and scaling them to
approx 7400 x 10400, although I use jpeg as internal format.

Oliver

Oliver 'ojo' Bedford

Nov 20, 2009, 3:22:13 AM11/20/09

Hmm, I just did a quick test and tiff files are not supported by Photo.
To quote the man page: "At present, only
GIF, XBM, XPM, BMP, JPEG, PNG and PPM/PGM formats are supported, but an
interface exists to allow additional image file formats to be added
easily."

So, are you using some additional module?

Oliver

pit

Nov 20, 2009, 4:02:38 AM11/20/09

I'm using TK::TIFF

Pit

Oliver 'ojo' Bedford

Nov 20, 2009, 4:35:30 AM11/20/09
Am Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:02:38 -0800 schrieb pit:

> I'm using TK::TIFF

I don't have trouble loading the 65MB image with Tk::TIFF, either.

Perhaps somewhat more info would helpful.

Oliver

Ilya Zakharevich

Nov 20, 2009, 6:03:24 PM11/20/09
On 2009-11-20, Oliver 'ojo' Bedford <new...@web.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:02:38 -0800 schrieb pit:

>> I'm using TK::TIFF

> I don't have trouble loading the 65MB image with Tk::TIFF, either.

Just my 2cents: there is no such thing as "a TIFF format image" (no
more than "AVI format movie"). TIFF is an envelop format, not an
"encoding" format. AFAIK, there are (thousands? "just many"?) of
variants fully defined by the TIFF specs; there may be also private
variants...

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Oliver 'ojo' Bedford

Nov 20, 2009, 6:59:43 PM11/20/09
Am Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:03:24 +0000 schrieb Ilya Zakharevich:

> On 2009-11-20, Oliver 'ojo' Bedford <new...@web.de> wrote:
>> Am Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:02:38 -0800 schrieb pit:
>
>>> I'm using TK::TIFF
>
>> I don't have trouble loading the 65MB image with Tk::TIFF, either.
>
> Just my 2cents: there is no such thing as "a TIFF format image" (no more

What you are telling us, is that there is no such thing as
"a tagged image file format format image"!? Sure. But I think we we're
talking about tagged image file format format files.

> than "AVI format movie"). TIFF is an envelop format, not an "encoding"
> format. AFAIK, there are (thousands? "just many"?) of variants fully
> defined by the TIFF specs; there may be also private variants...

Yes, I know. But what is the connection to the original post?
Are you implying that there may be tiff files which are not compatible
with TK:TIFF or the underlying libtiff? Well, then I
perfectly agree with you. But as we haven't seen the error message there
coudl exist thousands of other reasons for the failure.

In my experience if you create tiff files on a Unix system and don't use
multi-page tiffs or some weird form of compression you don't run into
trouble. The tif format is quite robust.

Oliver

Ilya Zakharevich

Nov 20, 2009, 11:08:25 PM11/20/09
On 2009-11-20, Oliver 'ojo' Bedford <new...@web.de> wrote:
>>> I don't have trouble loading the 65MB image with Tk::TIFF, either.

>> Just my 2cents: there is no such thing as "a TIFF format image" (no more

>> than "AVI format movie"). TIFF is an envelop format, not an "encoding"
>> format. AFAIK, there are (thousands? "just many"?) of variants fully
>> defined by the TIFF specs; there may be also private variants...

> Yes, I know. But what is the connection to the original post?

As you can see, I was replying to "I don't have trouble" argument.

> Are you implying that there may be tiff files which are not compatible
> with TK:TIFF or the underlying libtiff?

If Tk::Tiff uses the full-featured libtiff, then my argument is most
probably moot (I expect that there are few TIFF libraries which are as
complete [and as buggy :-(] as libtiff).

But I know that A LOT of tiff readers are very picky. (Just go to
your closest mini-lab - all I have seen would not accepts ANY
TIFF-compression.)

> But as we haven't seen the error message there coudl exist thousands
> of other reasons for the failure.

I'm puzzled; do you want to imply that since my variant has a chance
to be not applicable, I should not voice it at all?

> In my experience if you create tiff files on a Unix system and don't use
> multi-page tiffs or some weird form of compression you don't run into
> trouble. The tif format is quite robust.

Robustness is not a question here. The tiff format is complicated to
the point to be non-usable. An image viewer I often use accepts
ZIP-compressed TIFF images generated by gimp, but not ZIP-compressed
TIFF images generated by nona.

Hope this helps,
Ilya