- ImageMagick - Weird configuration problems

Cyberwulf

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
PLEASE, could SOMEONE try to asnwer this ? It's urgent and we've been at it
for over a week ! :-(
The server-support doesn't seem to be helping us... so we'll have to do it
at our own.

Trying to install Imagemagick on BSD/OS (virtual server) (should work just
fine)

* = in telnet session

running configure as:
* neuro: {149} % ./configure
CFLAGS=-O2 --prefix=/usr/home/neurotec/usr/local --without-perl --disable-st
atic --enable-shared --with-modules --without-bzlib --without-dps --without-
fpx --without-hdf --without-lcms --without-jbig --without-png --without-tiff

As far as i know,... no problems with the arguments right ?
The results are in the attachment [ magickconfiglog.txt ] (see bottom)

When that's done i always end with the error
* checking for xcftopnm... xcftopnm
* checking for gzip... /usr/contrib/bin/gzip
* creating ./config.status
* ./config.status: 7: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "}")

If I just ignore that and move on with the make i get this:

* neuro: {136} % make
* make: make: no target to make.
*
* neuro: {137} % make install
* make: don't know how to make install. Stop
* neurotech: {138} %

So i wonder... it's normal that you don't have a Makefile.pl in this
installation in the beginning ? Does it get generated by the configure or
somehting ?

Hey Martine... a 20' installation ? LOL !!! :-)
we've been here, trying and searching and typing our asses off for the last
5 hours... and this is as far as we got :-(

We keep having that "...fig.status: 7..." error,.. even with just the path
after die configure.

Need some help,
Email, Post,.. even better would be icq (88926689 WorkingWulfy)

Cyberwulf

> magickconfiglog.txt
configuring ImageMagick 5.2.4
checking build system type... i386-pc-bsdi3.1
checking host system type... i386-pc-bsdi3.1
checking target system type... i386-pc-bsdi3.1
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for EMX OS/2 environment... no
checking for executable suffix...
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -p
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... unknown
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... no
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output... ok
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... yes
creating libtool
updating cache /dev/null
checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking whether large file support needs explicit enabling... no
checking for X11 configure files... /usr/X11/lib/X11/
checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
checking for zconf.h... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for compress in -lz... yes
checking for uncompress in -lz... yes
checking for deflate in -lz... yes
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking if ZLIB package is complete... yes
checking for X... disabled
checking for png.h... yes
checking for pngconf.h... yes
checking for png_info_init in -lpng... yes
checking if PNG package is complete... yes
checking for jconfig.h... yes
checking for jerror.h... yes
checking for jmorecfg.h... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
checking for JPEG library is version 6b or later... no
no
checking if JPEG package is complete... no -- some components failed test
checking for freetype.h... yes
checking for freetype/freetype.h... no
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
checking for TT_Init_FreeType in -lttf... yes
checking if FreeType package is complete... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking whether stat file-mode macros are broken... no
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for opendir in -ldir... no
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for long long... yes
checking size of long long... 8
checking for working memcmp... no
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for mkdir... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for tempnam... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for bzip2... bzip2
checking for netscape... /usr/X11/bin/netscape
checking for ralcgm... ralcgm
checking for cat... /usr/home/neurotec/bin/cat
checking for dot... dot
checking for dvips... dvips
checking for echo... /usr/home/neurotec/bin/echo
checking for xterm... /usr/X11/bin/xterm
checking for fig2dev... /usr/X11/bin/fig2dev
checking for gnuplot... /usr/contrib/bin/gnuplot
checking for hp2xx... hp2xx
checking for html2ps... html2ps
checking for ilbmtoppm... /usr/X11/bin/ilbmtoppm
checking for ppmtoilbm... /usr/X11/bin/ppmtoilbm
checking for lp... /usr/bin/lp
checking for lpr... /usr/bin/lpr
checking for uncompress... /usr/home/neurotec/bin/uncompress
checking for compress... /usr/bin/compress
checking for gimp... gimp
checking for groff... /usr/bin/groff
checking for mpeg2decode... mpeg2decode
checking for mpeg2encode... mpeg2encode
checking for mv... /usr/home/neurotec/bin/mv
checking for pgpv... /usr/local/bin/pgpv
checking for povray... povray
checking for gs... gs
checking for ra_ppm... ra_ppm
checking for rawtorle... rawtorle
checking for rm... /usr/home/neurotec/bin/rm
checking for scanimage... scanimage
checking for enscript... /usr/contrib/bin/enscript
checking for wmftopng... wmftopng
checking for wget... /usr/local/bin/wget
checking for xcftopnm... xcftopnm
checking for gzip... /usr/contrib/bin/gzip
creating ./config.status
./config.status: 7: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "}")

Martien Verbruggen

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
\begin{offtopic}

This is really offtopic here, since this is all aboiut the buildign of
the ImageMagick package on BSD/OS. You should probably send this to the
mailing list.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:29:18 +0100,
Cyberwulf <cybe...@skynet.be> wrote:
> PLEASE, could SOMEONE try to asnwer this ? It's urgent and we've been at it
> for over a week ! :-(
> The server-support doesn't seem to be helping us... so we'll have to do it
> at our own.
>
> Trying to install Imagemagick on BSD/OS (virtual server) (should work just
> fine)
>
> * = in telnet session
>
> running configure as:
> * neuro: {149} % ./configure
> CFLAGS=-O2 --prefix=/usr/home/neurotec/usr/local --without-perl --disable-st
> atic --enable-shared --with-modules --without-bzlib --without-dps --without-
> fpx --without-hdf --without-lcms --without-jbig --without-png --without-tiff

Looks fine to me. Most of those will be autodetected anyway, so you
shouldn't have to specify it. What I use is:

CFLAGS='-g -O2' \
./configure \
--prefix=/opt/ImageMagick-5.2.5 \
--enable-shared \
--enable-lzw \
--with-threads \
--without-perl \
--with-ttf-fontpath=/usr/share/fonts/ttfonts \
--with-x

(From a Bourne shell or derivative)

And I build the perl module separately.

> As far as i know,... no problems with the arguments right ?
> The results are in the attachment [ magickconfiglog.txt ] (see bottom)

Nope. Since you're only disabling stuff, that _should_ go ok. If it
doesn't, I'd see it as a bug.

> When that's done i always end with the error
> * checking for xcftopnm... xcftopnm
> * checking for gzip... /usr/contrib/bin/gzip
> * creating ./config.status
> * ./config.status: 7: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "}")
>
> If I just ignore that and move on with the make i get this:

I wouldn't ignore this. If configure breaks at this point, there's no
point in continuing.

config.status is just a script that gets created by configure.
Obvioulsy, somehow, something has gone wrong. I find it a very odd error
message anyway, as it seems to occur at line 7, which is before the
first opening brace even gets encountered. or maybe it's just slightly
misleading, and your shell doesn't understand the syntax:

SHELL=${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh}

In my version, that's actually line 9.

Could you have a read through that script, and see what it says? And
maybe run it through your shell in debug mode (-x) to see what exactly
it thinks is going on? If you find problems, you could try to fix them
manually, and then run the config.status script. I'd report it as a bug
as well.

> * neuro: {136} % make

That wouldn't work, since config.status never got run.

> So i wonder... it's normal that you don't have a Makefile.pl in this
> installation in the beginning ? Does it get generated by the configure or
> somehting ?

There is a Makefile.PL in the perlMagick subdirectory. I think you're
mistakenly assuming that ImageMagick is just a Perl module. It isn't. :)
PerlMagick is the Perl language binding to a very extensive library of
graphics routines. ImageMagick is that library, various language
bindings, and some command line tools. You can't expect the standard
Perl make stuff to work for all that :)

> Hey Martine... a 20' installation ? LOL !!! :-)

I guess that would be me? I normally install it in less than 20 minutes.
Solaris, Linux and NetBSD. No problems.

On first guess, I'd say you have an unconventional shell. Is anything
known about oddities with the BSD/OS shell?

> we've been here, trying and searching and typing our asses off for the last
> 5 hours... and this is as far as we got :-(

Well.. This happens when you run into a bug or problem.

\end{offtopic}

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen |
Interactive Media Division | I took an IQ test and the results