ANNOUNCE: Y2K Update to "/bin/sh to Perl translator"

Randal L. Schwartz

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99

I have released an update to my famous "sh2perl" translator, in light
of the concern about Y2K compliance in all software. For those of you
that didn't see the original announcement, I've included it below, but
have adjusted the filenames to match the new update.

================================================== original announcement:

Yes! Finally! The long-awaited "Shell to Perl" translator is now available!

Works just like the a2p and s2p tools provided with the Perl
distribution. Input a /bin/sh script, and output a Perl program! The
result can even be compiled with Malcolm Beattie's "Perl Compiler" to
create a binary distribution, in theory (I haven't tested that yet).

Available in the CPAN at

CPAN/authors/id/MERLYN/sh2perl-0.03.tar.gz

at URLs such as:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/MERLYN/sh2perl-0.03.tar.gz
http://www.perl.org/CPAN/authors/id/MERLYN/sh2perl-0.03.tar.gz
http://cpan.perl.org/authors/id/MERLYN/sh2perl-0.03.tar.gz

It can also be installed directly from CPAN.pm as:

$ perl -MCPAN -eshell
cpan> install MERLYN/sh2perl-0.03.tar.gz

It's still in development (hence the low version number).. if you can
think of things to make it better, let me know. Doesn't handle csh
yet (read the docs for details).

Yours for a better Perl world,

Email: <mer...@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger mer...@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Alexander Pfaffinger

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
In comp.lang.perl.announce Randal L. Schwartz <mer...@stonehenge.com> wrote:

RL S>I have released an update to my famous "sh2perl" translator, in light
RL S>of the concern about Y2K compliance in all software. For those of you
RL S>that didn't see the original announcement, I've included it below, but
RL S>have adjusted the filenames to match the new update.

RL S>================================================== original announcement:

RL S>Yes! Finally! The long-awaited "Shell to Perl" translator is now available!

RL S>Works just like the a2p and s2p tools provided with the Perl
RL S>distribution. Input a /bin/sh script, and output a Perl program! The
RL S>result can even be compiled with Malcolm Beattie's "Perl Compiler" to
RL S>create a binary distribution, in theory (I haven't tested that yet).

Nice joke!
But is there anywhere a 'real' shell2perl compiler?
It would be sometimes useful for porting shell script to Windows systems ...
--
Alexander Pfaffinger | Phone: +49 89 636-49104
SIEMENS AG | Fax: +49 89 636-42284

"Standards are great! Everyone should have one."

Randal L. Schwartz

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99

Alexander> Nice joke! But is there anywhere a 'real' shell2perl
Alexander> compiler? It would be sometimes useful for porting shell
Alexander> script to Windows systems ...

No, it's best implemented as "wetware" (your brain) at the moment.
The biggest problem is not writing a Perl script to do what /bin/sh
does, but to inherit some of the commonly called small Unix utilities
(cut, grep, expr, test) so that many processes are not forked. I've
done a fair amount of thinking about that, and have a design sketched
out (which I've discussed with fellow Perl hackers), but haven't had
the time to implement it yet.

I know the "ppt" project is planning on implementing the "shell in
Perl" first step. I'll probably wait to see what's done there to
build on it if it's a suitable code base.

print "Just another Perl hacker,"